A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Sunnybanks
Sunnybanks  [message #75978] Mon, 07 October 2019 20:19 Go to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

Touching on a taboo subject in chapter 1. I'm not judging the subject matter. I'm just wondering if it's an integral part of the story or a one-time explanation for a character's feelings/behavior. I suppose we'll find out in future chapters.
Re: Sunnybanks  [message #75979 is a reply to message #75978] Mon, 07 October 2019 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"luvtwinks wrote on Mon, 07 October 2019 21:19"
Touching on a taboo subject in chapter 1. I'm not judging the subject matter. I'm just wondering if it's an integral part of the story or a one-time explanation for a character's feelings/behavior. I suppose we'll find out in future chapters.

--
If your taboo is what I think it is we have reached no conclusions discussing this in the past. That thread seems worth reviving

[Updated on: Mon, 07 October 2019 21:45]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sunnybanks  [message #75980 is a reply to message #75979] Mon, 07 October 2019 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Yes, Timmy. That is the taboo in question. The thread you linked to was posted well before I first came to this site so I hadn't seen it before now. Based on my personal experience I do have a bit more to say (nothing earth-shattering) but let's give others some time to read the chapter so they know what we're referring to. 😀
Re: Sunnybanks  [message #75981 is a reply to message #75980] Mon, 07 October 2019 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think we can trust the author enough to know that it is germane to the plot in that it takes the story forwards. Whether it is central to the plot is something that I will not reveal. I hate spoilers.

What I'd like us to do is to continue to discuss the story in this thread, including whether this facet is truly important to the story (as it unfolds) and look at the taboo in the thread I linked to above, lest it distract from the story discussion and hijack the thread by accident

[Updated on: Mon, 07 October 2019 21:50]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sunnybanks  [message #75983 is a reply to message #75981] Fri, 11 October 2019 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

As for gay incest... Well... 

For me, the subject or the act is not as clearly defined as it is in a heterosexual setting where I believe there is a certain level of taboo involved. As is said above, you can't get the other guy pregnant. On a personal level I apply the same standard as it do to any sexual activity between individuals, i. e., I don't have a particular problem with teen/teen or adult/adult equals engaging in sexual interludes, affairs, or longterm relationships with the proviso that these activities or relationships take place on an equal footing where there's not an imblance of power.

I grew up with a couple of close friends who were identical twins. Unknown to any of us they carried on a sexual relationship from the time of their puberty into adulthood, and in fact into their marriages. (As an aside, when I was a teen I used to fantacize about being with both of them having sex. Little did I know.) One of them is 100% gay and the other is not. The one who was not sturggles to this day with shame over what he did, and has moved three thousand miles away as a means of getting away from the situation. I don't know of the dynamics between them during all those years but clearly one of them has/had a problem with it. I suspect that problem was more cultural/religious than it was a result of any power imbalance between them during all those years. 

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Sunnybanks  [message #76092 is a reply to message #75978] Thu, 24 October 2019 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pandareader is currently offline  pandareader

Toe is in the water

Just wanted to write a quick note thanking cm for the story. I'm enjoying the story and reading the chapters as they're posted.
About the subject of incest, I am personally not interested in stories featuring incest in a major way (although I enjoyed reading When Shadows Pass by Sean English) but the way the chapters seem to be progressing, it doesn't seem that it's going in that direction. I'm trying to be careful not to spoil anything but I'm looking forward to the next chapter and finding out how Luke and Charlie will interact with each other.
Re: Sunnybanks  [message #76113 is a reply to message #76092] Sun, 27 October 2019 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cm is currently offline  cm

Toe is in the water

Thanks, Panda...Hope you enjoyed the rest of the story.

As you observed, the relationship between Luke and Ben was not the point of the story but was meant only as an insight into Luke's experience and state of mind when he met Charlie.

Ben has a role to play in the beginning and the end of the story. It is up to the reader to decide whether or not there is any connection between the two roles he plays.

Re: Sunnybanks  [message #76115 is a reply to message #76113] Sun, 27 October 2019 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"cm wrote on Sun, 27 October 2019 15:50"
Ben has a role to play in the beginning and the end of the story. It is up to the reader to decide whether or not there is any connection between the two roles he plays.

--
Hmm...interesting. Personally, I don't see a connection between the two roles. I'm still not entirely sure I understand Ben's role at the beginning of the story. But, as stated in previous posts, I do tend to read most of these stories whilst enjoying adult beverages so I may sometimes miss important details.

Ben's role at the end of the story is clear and ultimately led to the ending I had hoped for all along. I enjoyed this story a great deal. 
Re: Sunnybanks  [message #76116 is a reply to message #76113] Mon, 28 October 2019 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pandareader is currently offline  pandareader

Toe is in the water

Loved the story cm! 
I was hoping for this ending but was not really expecting it. Won't say more not to spoil anything, but I enjoyed reading it very much. 
Re: Sunnybanks  [message #76120 is a reply to message #76116] Tue, 29 October 2019 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

I too enjoyed this story, very much. Now I want to go and stay at Sunnybanks Hotel.

Jolyon
Re: Sunnybanks  [message #76124 is a reply to message #76120] Tue, 29 October 2019 22:57 Go to previous message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

On the incest thing: it's not just about procreation. In a family, there is an expectation of unconditional support. Adding sex into the situation brings conditions to the relationship. Also, how would you be able to deny an older sibling or parent? Of the few people I've known who have experienced incest, each one of them was damaged by the experience, one pretty badly, too. 

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Previous Topic: Hidden Kisses
Next Topic: E-mails from Kenny by Kit
Goto Forum: