A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Maintenance
Maintenance  [message #7539] Sat, 08 February 2003 12:19 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We may need our web host to migrate this site to a new server. If so this will take 48 hourse to complete, worldwide. This means that we are likely to close the messageboard for that time period to avid message loss. OR we can risk the odd lost message and inconsisitency during the migration.

In either case I will make sure everyone knowns what is happening

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon4.gif Re: Maintenance  [message #7647 is a reply to message #7539] Thu, 13 February 2003 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Discussions with the web host show that theonly sensible thing IS to migrate to a new server. The thing is, we may literally MOVE.

Now this means that the site will LEAVE the old server and ARRIEV at the new one. So far so good, but it takes the DNS 48 hours to synchronise worldwide. MOST parts of the world will have no more than 12 hours downtime. There is a minor risk of messages being lost. And haiku votes etc. We will probably ignore this risk.

Timing depends on Megaman and Bluedomino.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Maintenance  [message #7650 is a reply to message #7647] Thu, 13 February 2003 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

I guess there could be some interdependances within the site itself?
Could you e-mail us the new IP address so we don't have to wait  [message #7651 is a reply to message #7650] Thu, 13 February 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

quite so long for just DNS? Or maybe there are some site-internal dependancies that require it?

Sorry about the botched post!
Re: Could you e-mail us the new IP address so we don't have to wait  [message #7656 is a reply to message #7651] Thu, 13 February 2003 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

there are some software issues on the site that mean it is probably better left to synchronise by itself.

The problem we are facing is that the current web server's email port is "Spam Blocked" butthe spam police, and bluedomino and rackspace (the outsourcer of servers etc) seem unable to unblock it.

We've been told that a dozen hours for 90% of the world, and then a further 28 or so for the remaining 10% is the maximum downtime we will get.

We probably will not know the ip address before the event either

icon5.gif This spamblock...  [message #7659 is a reply to message #7656] Thu, 13 February 2003 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

Is that the reason I no longer get ANYTHING from your mailing list?

Anyway, how hard can it be for them to NOT block hotmail as a destination address? That's just silly.

-L

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
Re: This spamblock...  [message #7662 is a reply to message #7659] Thu, 13 February 2003 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

it's HOTMAIL that blocks me. So does AOL, Mindspring, etc etc etc etc. Look at the fornt page of the site and you wil see the reason, but not the cause.

icon8.gif Whaat? That's completely OUTRAGEOUS!  [message #7665 is a reply to message #7662] Thu, 13 February 2003 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

How dare they block my mails without asking me? You're sure it's Hotmail? If so, I'm prepared to fire off a truly royal complaint if that's the case!

-L

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
Re: Whaat? That's completely OUTRAGEOUS!  [message #7667 is a reply to message #7665] Thu, 13 February 2003 15:55 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

before you do, go to the front page and click the "Spam Police" link. You will not change their minds at all. Receiving email servers check the status of the various spamm block databases and accept or reject entire servers based on server characteristics. The recipient never knows

Previous Topic: A childhood memory
Next Topic: The guilt of the innocent
Goto Forum: