A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Story words that just don't do it for me
Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76903 is a reply to message #76902] Mon, 18 May 2020 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy   United States

Likes it here

"The Composer wrote on Mon, 18 May 2020 04:41"
" one author on another site who does"

Do tell.

--
No, I publiclly criticized an author from another site here one time for an exceedingly bad ending to a story where all the main charactes got run over and killed by a train rather than any sort of reconcilliation taking place. It truly was a bad story. No one here criticized me for calling the guy out, but still, I resolved never to name names when critisizing like that again. So....

[Updated on: Mon, 18 May 2020 19:20]

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76906 is a reply to message #76825] Tue, 19 May 2020 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Composer is currently offline  The Composer   United Kingdom

Toe is in the water

I've just discovered another no no word: 'booty'.
Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76908 is a reply to message #76906] Tue, 19 May 2020 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"The Composer wrote on Mon, 18 May 2020 21:09"
I've just discovered another no no word: 'booty'.

--
Only to be used when quoting a redneck cretin because he was sexually harrassing someone by yelling at them across a busy street! 😂🤣

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76910 is a reply to message #76843] Mon, 25 May 2020 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carl in Boston 9804 is currently offline  Carl in Boston 9804   United States

Getting started

If you used 'cocyx' in Scrabble, you would have to remove it. There is no such word in English. On the other hand, coccyx wouldn't be bad.
Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76911 is a reply to message #76910] Tue, 26 May 2020 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

And the phrase "fine with it" when writing about other people accepting a young man being gay. Even some of the good writers miss the boat on this one. 

Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76912 is a reply to message #76911] Tue, 26 May 2020 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

"Teddy wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 06:05"
And the phrase "fine with it" when writing about other people accepting a young man being gay. Even some of the good writers miss the boat on this one. 

--
It seems to work as a phrase in the UK? The meaning is simple. "Fred's parents were fine with it." means they were not discontented, nor ecstatic.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76913 is a reply to message #76912] Tue, 26 May 2020 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 00:25"

--
It seems to work as a phrase in the UK? The meaning is simple. "Fred's parents were fine with it." means they were not discontented, nor ecstatic.

--
if it were used occasionally this would be true but when it gets used nearly every time the situation is encountered in these tales it begins to become rather boring, unimaginative, and awkward, in my opinion, of course.  

[Updated on: Tue, 26 May 2020 10:26]

Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76914 is a reply to message #76903] Tue, 26 May 2020 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

"a story where all the main charactes got run over and killed by a train rather than any sort of reconcilliation taking place"

I'm going to reference a dead tree book here. It was set in California, and all sorts of conflicts were coming to a head ... and then there was this massive earthquake.

The author in question has quite a literary reputatiion.
Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76915 is a reply to message #76913] Tue, 26 May 2020 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

"Teddy wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 11:24"

"timmy wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 00:25"

--

--
if it were used occasionally this would be true but when it gets used nearly every time the situation is encountered in these tales it begins to become rather boring, unimaginative, and awkward, in my opinion, of course.  

--
It's frequency of deployment that annoys you rather than a subtly different meaning in the USA?

I agree that it's a rotten shorthand, and it also tells not shows. "Freds parents were so fine with it that they held a coming out party for him."  Woudl that be better?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76916 is a reply to message #76914] Tue, 26 May 2020 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"The Composer wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 08:18"
"a story where all the main charactes got run over and killed by a train rather than any sort of reconcilliation taking place"

I'm going to reference a dead tree book here. It was set in California, and all sorts of conflicts were coming to a head ... and then there was this massive earthquake.

The author in question has quite a literary reputatiion.

--
Even a writer with "quite a literary reputation" has an off day from time to time! LOL

In the case I'm referring to the writer spends a couple dozen chapters getting the reader heavily invested in 4-5 young men and bringing the plots and subplots to what is expected to be a satisfactory resolution only to shove them all over a bank into the path of an oncoming locomotive in the final two paragraphs... So yeah... an off day for sure! He may have, and probably did enjoy yanking his readers around but the readers did not enjoy it. At least this reader did not.

It reminds me of another story I read quite a few years ago that was of a similar nature except the author, in the final chapter purposely broke up the relationship of the two primary characters, and he did it just to spite one of his readers who'd said something negative to him in an email. It was one of those situations where several different authors had written spinoffs on the original tale to include the same characters while adding new ones and developing the timeline in different directions. Killing off the couple's relationship not only impacted the origianl tale but destroyed the timeline for the spinoff's as well. The author then went to ground, not only with himself but with his website, and no one I know of has heard from him since. I learned the backstory from a friend of mine who was the author of one of the spinoff tales.

Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76917 is a reply to message #76915] Tue, 26 May 2020 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 10:30"

I agree that it's a rotten shorthand, and it also tells not shows. "Freds parents were so fine with it that they held a coming out party for him."  Woudl that be better?

--
Well, I'm not going to attempt to write another person's story for them, but, as in many of the other usage examples given in this thread, perhaps a bit of originality might be in order.

I realize that i'm not the best author there is around, but yes, the oft repeated phrase does get annoying after the eleventy-first time in a three month period. I'd like to think I could come up with something other than the same snippet of conversation, cut and pasted repeatedly. Maybe it's just me, and if so I can accept that Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 26 May 2020 18:27]

Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76920 is a reply to message #76917] Wed, 27 May 2020 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark   United States

Likes it here

My nitpick in this category is when people use food references to refer to the genitals - for example, calling the penis a "meat lollipop" (often right before or during the performing of oral sex).
Re: Story words that just don't do it for me  [message #76923 is a reply to message #76920] Wed, 27 May 2020 12:03 Go to previous message

Toe is in the water

'the author, in the final chapter purposely broke up the relationship of the two primary characters, and he did it just to spite one of his readers who'd said something negative to him in an email'

I'm  incapable of posting a serial story [unlike Dickens!]. I have to complete it, and then publish. 
Previous Topic: Moving on from Fidel is NumbaCruncha
Next Topic: The Jigsaw Puzzle
Goto Forum: