A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Flamer Skater
Flamer Skater  [message #77156] Sat, 25 July 2020 19:06 Go to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

It was fun having some characters from the author's other stories make an appearance in Flamer Skater. Sort of like seeing old friends again.
Re: Flamer Skater  [message #77157 is a reply to message #77156] Sun, 26 July 2020 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

Luvtwinks: thanks for the positive comments. I have to say in the decision I was influenced by similar story models in works by c_m and Geron Kees.

That prompts a question for forum readers: what do you think of this approach to story telling? Namely linking short stories back to the original and the characters that appeared therein? Is it fun and interesting to see the continuity, or is your preference just for new characters and story lines?

Bensiamin
Re: Flamer Skater  [message #77158 is a reply to message #77157] Sun, 26 July 2020 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

"Bensiamin wrote on Sun, 26 July 2020 00:55"
Luvtwinks: thanks for the positive comments. I have to say in the decision I was influenced by similar story models in works by c_m and Geron Kees.

That prompts a question for forum readers: what do you think of this approach to story telling? Namely linking short stories back to the original and the characters that appeared therein? Is it fun and interesting to see the continuity, or is your preference just for new characters and story lines?

--
It was also fun to see c_m revisit Sunny Banks from the point of view of Ben in his latest tale. I don't recall Geron Kees doing the same thing though. Do you have an example? I tend to read these stories accompanied by an adult beverage or two so I would not be surprised if I missed something.

Having said that, revisiting old characters is nice in moderation, but completely new stories are good too. 
Re: Flamer Skater  [message #77159 is a reply to message #77158] Sun, 26 July 2020 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

I always love getting reacquainted with loved characters in stories past. 

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Flamer Skater  [message #77160 is a reply to message #77159] Mon, 27 July 2020 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

I loved "Flamer Skater" and all of the stories in this challenge.  My Favorites were "Flamer Skater,"  "Goofyfoot,"  and  "Jan en de Winkelwagen."  

While the others were good stories, the three above grabbed my attention more quickly.
Re: Flamer Skater  [message #77163 is a reply to message #77158] Tue, 28 July 2020 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

Luvtwinks: the Sunnybanks approach is a pretty classic model in my mind, as yours, where the main story is laid down and then other stories occur later that involve the familiar as well as new characters. c_m gave us a new spin on the model with his last story that introduced a new character in the time before the original story! That was a trip.

I see Geron Kees' Charlie Boone stories as a variation on the same theme: we've got a core of central characters, and each story is stand alone with that core of characters, into which come new characters, situaitons and challenges. Even though sometimes they're on the other side of the galaxy fighting the bad guys, the core characters provide an anchor and continuity.

None of which, of course, is a replacement for new stories!

Bensiamin
Re: Flamer Skater  [message #77566 is a reply to message #77163] Wed, 30 December 2020 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Let me first say that having first read Flamer Skater, I have reread the story about 10 times. It had me good, but not quite sure why. It was not a reminder of a similar incident or of a person I knew who resembled any of the characters. It is a good story. Maybe that's the main reason.
As for your question about linking stories back to the original, that is life. We need to return to that which makes us happy, or for a reminder of the past, or for a comfort need. How often does one visit an old house once lived in, or receive a text or letter from a friend? Or watch a movie more than once? Writers create the world of the story, most of fiction. Our Id, however, takes and makes the story into something other than fiction. I kind of remolded this story by wondering if Eric could imagine by night he would be in bed with a potental boyfriend, or whether Kim could have foreseen his plans blowing up in his face but would end in a fantastic manner, all set by returning to Portland with familiar characters and new ones as well.
Re: Flamer Skater  [message #77568 is a reply to message #77157] Wed, 30 December 2020 20:53 Go to previous message
Mark

Likes it here

"Bensiamin wrote on Sat, 25 July 2020 18:55"

--

As an author, I've done that with the three "The Case of..." stories, and have considered doing similar with both "The Immortal" and "An Apprentice's Adventures," though admittedly have not gotten around to doing anything with either.  In the case of "The Immortal," I have had kind of a tentative idea for a while for a sequel involving the two main characters, but have never really gotten around to trying to write it out.  With "An Apprentice's Adventures" I have kind of thought of a companion story, in teh same "world" and set a few years later, with a new set of main characters who somehow know the original characters (and where one or more of the original characters might make a brief appearance), but have never gotten beyond that, and don't have any ideas for a plot for such a story.
Previous Topic: Team Kaiser
Next Topic: Anyone bored?
Goto Forum: