A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > And now for something completely different....
icon5.gif And now for something completely different....  [message #77810] Wed, 19 May 2021 19:05 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

A Different Kind of Love, but how different is it in reality?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: And now for something completely different....  [message #77811 is a reply to message #77810] Wed, 19 May 2021 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cm is currently offline  cm

Toe is in the water

Great question, Timmy - and one that goes to the heart of (one of the reasons) why I gave the story the title I did.
Re: And now for something completely different....  [message #77812 is a reply to message #77811] Thu, 20 May 2021 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joecasey is currently offline  joecasey

Toe is in the water

I always enjoy stories that tackle sexualities outside of the norm and I hope that cm continues this tale. I enjoy also stories that are told with economy, allowing the reader to fill in details and drawing him or her into the story. Lastly, I enjoy stories that handle dialogue with apparent effortless ease, knowing that creating realistic dialogue is often the most difficult part of writing. Well done!
Re: And now for something completely different....  [message #77813 is a reply to message #77810] Thu, 20 May 2021 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Wed, 19 May 2021 19:05"
A Different Kind of Love, but how different is it in reality?

--
I wouldn't want to try and quantify that. What I will say is that it was an original and well written story, shedding some light on that particular aspect of sexuality.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2021 15:48]

Re: And now for something completely different....  [message #77814 is a reply to message #77812] Thu, 20 May 2021 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cm is currently offline  cm

Toe is in the water

Thanks for your kind comments - I particularly appreciate the one about dialogue.

I have to say that I saw the story as a one-off and not part of an ongoing series, but maybe I can think about that.
Re: And now for something completely different....  [message #77815 is a reply to message #77810] Thu, 20 May 2021 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

This was a beautiful, sensitively-told story that had me hooked from the start. Yes, the dialogue was highly authentic - I can imagine me saying the things Jonty and Nix said to each other - and the descriptions were vivid; I was drooling as I read about the chicken schnitzels. But most of all, it was the gentle love story that unfolded that reminded me of being in my late teens, hoping for friendship but unwilling/unable to engage with either sex in the sort of bedrooom antics so many people liked to boast of.

I hope cm keeps this as a one-off story. It's one that I'll come back to several time in the years to come and it's inspired me to write another story of my own.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2021 11:19]

Jolyon
Re: And now for something completely different....  [message #77816 is a reply to message #77810] Thu, 20 May 2021 17:39 Go to previous message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

I concur with all that's been said, beginning with complimenting cm on the economy of the writing. He's especially good at that, a style that Ernest Hemingway would have complimented! The story is not only sensitively written, but touching in the manner the personal circumstances of and situations between the main characters develop and take place. Then there's the characters themself: fully authentic and totally believable, making helping the reader understand the reality of asexuality and leaving them sympathetic. The other story I recall on the subject is Mihangel's "Not Understood" from 2005, and while the story and style are completely different, this one is equally superb!

Bensiamin
Previous Topic: Puppy For Sale - Republish.
Next Topic: Puppy for Sale 2 - A kind of sequel.
Goto Forum: