A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > There are other views on being out
There are other views on being out  [message #78095] Fri, 27 August 2021 08:02 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Richard Norway has just joined us here. Oliver, published today and Jordan, due for publication on Monday (linked in advance if you  read this thread before then), give us two  sides of the same pancake. It's hard to eat one side without eating the other.

Each tale is very different, yet there is a thread that binds them together.

It seems to  me that almost every tale on the site is, in some manner, about being out, comiing out, no longer hiding, being afraid of the reactions. Some tales describe great outcomes, some not so great, some describe disasters.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 August 2021 13:00]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: There are other views on being out  [message #78116 is a reply to message #78095] Tue, 31 August 2021 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Al N. is currently offline  Al N.

Getting started

I read Oliver last Friday and just now finished reading Jordan.

I enjoyed the Dickens twist to Oliver. I've read some similar stories in the past and they always sparked a chuckle or two from me.

Yet I must say that I really liked the way Jordan was handled. What a way to jump out of the closet! Bravo!!!
Re: There are other views on being out  [message #78117 is a reply to message #78116] Tue, 31 August 2021 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

I read Oliver last night, and enjoyed the Dickens out of it!

Seriously, I thought it was tightly constructed, a very good update on the borrowed Dickens model, and very sensitively and poignantly written.

It's a terrific addition to the IOMFATS Story Shelf. Great work, Richard!

Bensiamin
Re: There are other views on being out  [message #78119 is a reply to message #78095] Tue, 31 August 2021 11:17 Go to previous message
cm is currently offline  cm

Toe is in the water

Two excellent stories told with both beauty and power. Memorable.
Previous Topic: Chapter Size
Next Topic: An Admission of Guilt
Goto Forum: