A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Awesome Dude story site
Awesome Dude story site  [message #78684] Wed, 03 January 2024 19:41 Go to next message
JCDII is currently offline  JCDII

Getting started

Hi all, even though Mike passed away some months ago, the AD site has been up and running and has had a few updates and new stories.
That seems to have stopped for now. Just get an error message:
FORBIDDEN - you don;t have permission to access this resource.

Anyone know what the problem is, or if it is just kaput?
I haven't checked Cody's World yet.
Thanks for any info - John
Re: Awesome Dude story site  [message #78685 is a reply to message #78684] Wed, 03 January 2024 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The simplest answer is that the site is beingh restructured. We will know in a "while" if we know at all

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Awesome Dude story site  [message #78686 is a reply to message #78685] Thu, 04 January 2024 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

Timmy is right. Cody is working on it. Mike left no succession plan so everything is complicated but Cody seems confident that it will get sorted.

Certainly the future of the site is in safe hands

Re: Awesome Dude story site  [message #78687 is a reply to message #78686] Thu, 04 January 2024 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

Here is a copy of the message John (Alien Son) posted a few hours ago.  Even though awesome dude is down, the awesome dude forums are up, at --  forums dot awesomedude dot com  (do NOT use www infront of awesomedude) ---  Codeysworld dot com is still down.  No one seems to have heard from the codeysworld webmaster, Colin, since April of 2021.   John has been doing the coding at awesomedude for a number of years.

John's message:
Due to circumstances mostly outside our control this is taking longer than we expected and hoped.We've set up a new site and I'm at this moment uploading all the stories. It will be several hours before the whole site is online.I'll make a further announcement as soon as I can.~ John
Re: Awesome Dude story site  [message #78688 is a reply to message #78686] Thu, 04 January 2024 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

Sorry guys, I meant of course to say I had been talking to Cole Parker (not Cody) Christmas has taken its toll on brain cells

Re: Awesome Dude story site  [message #78689 is a reply to message #78684] Thu, 04 January 2024 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cole parker is currently offline  cole parker

Toe is in the water

Happy news.  Awesomedude is back!  There's a change, however.  The reasons are long and boring, but what needs to be broadcast is that it is no longer awesomedude.com.  That address is defunct.  The operative one now is: awesomedude.org. 

An awful lot of credit goes not to me, who did very little more than encourage, but to Alien Son and Rutabaga, two AD authors.  They are both magnificent and deserving of all the praise in the world for saving this wonderful site.

And thanks to go Timmy for allowing me to pass this info along.

C

[Updated on: Thu, 04 January 2024 17:49]

Re: Awesome Dude story site  [message #78705 is a reply to message #78684] Sun, 28 January 2024 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutabaga is currently offline  Rutabaga

Getting started

As Cole stated, the AwesomeDude Site now lives at https://www.awesomedude.org.  Although the .com domain name auto-renewed in December, through money apparently sitting in Mike's PayPal donation account, the hosting cost apparently did not -- which is why the old site abruptly went dark at the beginning of January.  Mike passed away without sharing the credentials for his hosting account, the domain registrar, or PayPal.  And although both Alien Son and I had FTP access to all the files on the old site, that also went dark.

Fortunately for everyone, Alien Son had downloaded a full site backup to his local computer in November, which gave us a strong starting point for restoring the site.  And even more fortunate, Mike had given another member administrative access to the message forum at https://forums.awesomedude.com.  We quickly put together a private forum to try to coordinate what to do.  Even before the hosting failed, a different member registered the awesomedude.org domain to get us started with a new home.  Alien Son signed up a new hosting account, and I married the .org domain to the new hosting facility.  Alien Son then began the lengthy process of uploading several gigabytes of the old site files to the new host, which took a number of hours at FTP speeds.  But the new site staggered to its feet within a very short time

The biggest immediate problem, however, was that the thousands of story pages were filled with hard-coded links based on the .com address.  Thus, when reading a multi-chapter story, the "next chapter" link at the bottom of a chapter page would be coded for the .com address, and when clicked would yield a "not found" message.  To solve this problem, Alien Son and I divided the alphabet in half, and each of us downloaded our half of the authors' files, one author at a time, and processed them to search-and-replace all instances of awesomedude.com with awesomedude.org so the internal links would work. This took two or three days, but we got it done.  My half involved almost 30,000 file roundtrips.  Thank heavens for FileZilla and Aba Search & Replace.  

So we are definitely back on the air, much sadder but hopefully much wiser.  At least two people, in two different countries, now have the relevant login information for all the new facilities.  Alien Son has set up a new PayPal mechanism for support donations.  

The main remaining piece of the puzzle is our message forum, which is hosted in the cloud by Invision (not on our own server).  Because the domain registration for awesomedude.com was successfully renewed until December 2024, the forum address of https://forums.awesomedude.com still works.  But we would like to transition the forum address to the new .org domain, without losing the favorable grandfathered pricing that Mike had with the existing forum.  

The other question mark is the subsidiary Codey's World site, which resides on the AwesomeDude server at https://www.awesomedude.org/codeysworld/.  The codeysworld.com address stopped working when the hosting for the main AwesomeDude site shut off, so the content has to be accessed indirectly through the above link.  We have not gone through all the pages to correct every internal link, although we have made some corrections.  The main problem is that we are not really sure what should happen with this content in the long run.  Nothing has been added for quite a while, and the site needs attention.  We're still working on that.

AwesomeDude is in its 20th year of operation (2004-2024), believe it or not.  I've only been around for about 10 of those years, but I'm glad I was able to jump in and help using my technical knowledge.  Alien Son deserves massive credit, however, because he has been keeping the lights on with twice-weekly updates and processing of stories for posting for a long time.  I have tried to help where I can, even if it's only moral support.  And it has been somewhat of an adventure working from my location in California with Alien Son in Australia, with almost a full day time difference.  Modern times!

R  
Re: Awesome Dude story site  [message #78706 is a reply to message #78705] Sun, 28 January 2024 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It is amazing what people with determination can do when they put their minds to it. More power to your elbows.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Awesome Dude story site  [message #78707 is a reply to message #78684] Sun, 28 January 2024 16:05 Go to previous message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

One change following Mike's death was the loss of the original URL that had AD at a ".com" address.

The site is now re-established at a ".org" URL, specifically: https://awesomedude.org/

Bensiamin
Previous Topic: Our server outage
Next Topic: What the Pastor or Priest or Rector Should Have Said!
Goto Forum: