A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > New Home for Codey's World
New Home for Codey's World  [message #78722] Wed, 07 February 2024 16:58 Go to next message
Rutabaga is currently offline  Rutabaga

Getting started

I hope Timmy won't mind another announcement about an external site.

The Codey's World site now has its own functioning domain name:  codeysworld.org.  It is no longer living in a subdirectory on the AwesomeDude site -- it has its own server account and everything.

As folks will remember, when Mike (the founding Awesome Dude) passed away last September, he took the domain registration credentials for awesomedude.com and codeysworld.com with him.  We were fortunate to be able to pick up awesomedude.org right away, and the site has moved to the new .org address, but the companion codeysworld.org address was already registered to someone (we assume Mike, but the WHOIS information is anonymous) and would not expire for some weeks.  We have been keeping an eye on the pending expiration, and at midnight Monday night @AlienSon discovered that it had fully expired and was now available.  So he grabbed the domain name and emailed me, and then went to bed.  I got his email yesterday morning and went to work through much of the day getting the new site up and running.

To make a long story short, we got it moved, and things are working in general.  The site has been around for at least 18 years, and there were piles of leftovers and irrelevant stuff on the previous server.  I downloaded everything to my local computer, separated the electronic wheat from the chaff, updated all the internal links on the pages, and uploaded everything needed to the new server.    

There are still glitches and potholes here and there, but we're working on those.  Mysteriously, some of the graphics have disappeared, but they still exist on the Wayback Machine archive and we are slowly going through and restoring them. 

We still need to figure out a long-term strategy for the site.  It has not received full attention since the spring of 2021, when its long-time webmaster stopped updating it.  We are looking into possible ways to make the site more manageable by people who are not HTML/CSS/PHP tweakheads.  If anyone is interested in learning more, please write to webguys@codeysworld.org. 

Meanwhile, there are a lot of good stories there by authors whose names will be familiar.  I think Mike would be happy to see us keeping his legacy alive.

Re: New Home for Codey's World  [message #78723 is a reply to message #78722] Wed, 07 February 2024 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am always happy when a site is rescued, indeed, happy for other news, too.  Good catch.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: New Home for Codey's World  [message #78749 is a reply to message #78723] Wed, 10 April 2024 15:14 Go to previous message
Rutabaga is currently offline  Rutabaga

Getting started

We are still looking for editorial help on this site.  We would like to continue its philosophy of skewing to a younger audience, and keeping the content clean enough to avoid net nanny filtering.  We need  some fresh (and younger) blood.  Please contact webguys@codeysworld.org if you have any interest in becoming part of this effort.

R
Previous Topic: Numbers
Next Topic: RIP Comicality
Goto Forum: