A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > UK Government urges under-16s to experiment with oral sex (The Times)
UK Government urges under-16s to experiment with oral sex (The Times)  [message #8040] Thu, 27 February 2003 10:47 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-585546,00.html has an amazing article. I've quoted it below!

BEGINS:
February 21, 2003

Government urges under-16s to experiment with oral sex
By Glen Owen, Education Correspondent

A GOVERNMENT-backed course is encouraging pupils under 16 to experiment with oral sex, as part of a drive to cut rates of teenage pregnancy.
Family campaigners believe that the course, called A Pause, is having the reverse effect by exciting the sexual interest of children.

The scheme, which has been pioneered by Exeter University and is backed by the Departments of Health and Education, trains teachers to discuss various pre-sex “stopping points” with under-age teenagers.

It aims to reduce promiscuity by encouraging pupils to discover “levels of intimacy”, including oral sex, instead of full sexual intercourse.

More than 100,000 children are now taking the course at one in every thirty secondary schools. It forms part of efforts to tackle Britain’s teenage pregnancy rate, which is the highest in Western Europe.

Robert Whelan, director of the Family Education Trust, said he hoped that the Sexual Offences Bill, currently going through the House of Lords, would lead to the course being banned. A provision in the Bill would make it an offence for anyone to “arrange or facilitate the commission of a child sex offence”.

He said: “I don’t think anyone believes that teaching pupils about oral sex will stop them having full sex — it is more likely to make them want to try it, and it doesn’t protect them from sexually transmitted diseases.”

John Rees, programme manager for A Pause, said that he was keen to teach children that “it is acceptable simply to hold hands” and to discover different levels of intimacy.

“We make it clear that there are many ways to manage relationships — that it doesn’t all have to be about full sex,” he said. He added that he was “very worried” that the Bill would end the scheme.

Lynda Brine, a teacher from a Doncaster comprehensive who recently attended a training day for the course, says in today’s Times Educational Supplement that she was primed to deal with detailed questions about oral and anal sex. “I was amazed. Are these really the sort of questions to which we as a profession should be responding?” she writes.

“There was no framework for talking about responsibility or the emotional side of relationships. By following this course, I feel that teachers are implicitly supporting under-age sexual activity.”

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: UK Government urges under-16s to experiment with oral sex (BBC)  [message #8041 is a reply to message #8040] Thu, 27 February 2003 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/2787491.stm provides further comment

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
What about.....  [message #8047 is a reply to message #8040] Thu, 27 February 2003 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

Why don't they instead encourage same sex experimentation... If boys are playing with other boys until they want to get married and girls are playing with other girls until they want to get married then no-one will be getting pregnant except those that are married or wanting to get married. It would help promote same gender sexual encounters as natural too, so people wouldn't automatically think gay people are sick, just because of the way they have sex. That is the main reason people are prejudice, they don't mind the love issue usually, it's the nuts and bolts that makes them squirm (although some people are too closed minded to even acknowledge the love part of things). Funny how that BBC articles makes "gay sex" and "anal sex" synonymous... Anyway, I'm ranting insanely... Perhaps I should go shoot myself in the foot Razz (joking, just in case you didn't notice! sleep deprivation does wonderful things...)
icon14.gif Re: UK Government urges under-16s to experiment with oral sex (The Tim  [message #8050 is a reply to message #8040] Thu, 27 February 2003 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warren c. e. austin is currently offline  warren c. e. austin

Likes it here

I'm appalled that this story should have even caused a "blip" on the radar of human conscience. I have to wonder what planet this woman, and those of her ilk, inhabit - ot sure must not be the same one I do, and I excerpt:

>>>>>
[Teacher Lynda Brine's] concern centred on a part of the [A Pause] course about how teachers should respond to "frequently asked questions".

"Examples included when a 14-year-old girl asks: 'What does semen taste like?' Or a 15-year-old boy: 'How do gay men have sex, and is it possible for a man and woman to do it the same way?'

"I ask myself why children of this age ask such things."

Ms Brine is a single mother of two and an advanced skills science teacher, who says she does not speak from any "moral high ground".

"A course such as this gives children information they do not or should not know," she argues - and says she can play no part in it.
<<<<<

In my experience young people will, are going to, and do ask these questions; albeit, most often amonsgt themselves, and quite frequently receiving erroneous information in return.

Take a slap up-side the head, and give it over folks!

We as adults have a moral, if not fiduciary, obligation to ensure that youth receive truthful, responsible, timely, and accurate answers to these, and other questions.

Who the hell are we as adults to dictate what, and what not, a young person should be allowed to ask questions about; or, under what circumstances they will be allowed to ask them; or, when they will be allowed to ask them?

The time has come for society at large to come to terms with this and other emerging contentious issues, with a framework being developed to grapple with our [read adult] reluctance to admit that young people are sexually aware beings.

Exeter University appears to be trying to do so, and should be applauded for it's efforts, not chastised and berated.

What has thus far been sadly missing has been a "balanced" and workable paradigm that services both a youth's rights to know, desire to know and need to know, coupled with the World community's responsibility to provide it.

Warren C. E. Austin
Toronto, Canada
Re: UK Government urges under-16s to experiment with oral sex (The Tim  [message #8051 is a reply to message #8050] Thu, 27 February 2003 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I disagree vehemently with what you say, though support your right to say it.

What I see is taking the more lascivious details form the newspaper article and supporting the child's right to get answers to questions. As a side isse Setion 28 of the UK Local Government Act effectively prevents a teacher in a publicly funded school from answering the questioj "How do gay men have sex".

The real issue here is that they are encouraging oral sex for those who are under the age of legal consent. And they are implying that it is "OK".

Oral sex transmists a huge range of sexually transmitted diseases, including:

Hepatitis A, B, C
Herpes
Gonnorrhea
HPV

There is a huge difference between answering a legitimate question and encouraging a sexual technique.

icon3.gif I'm aware of Section 28 of the UK Local Government Act  [message #8052 is a reply to message #8051] Thu, 27 February 2003 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warren c. e. austin is currently offline  warren c. e. austin

Likes it here

Fortunately we have no such legislation here in Canada.

I'm not advocating widespread encouragement of any sexual experimentation to young people, either under, or over the legal age of consent; what I'm questioning is an adult's right to deny youth access to the imformation, and the right to ask for it - whether they are of legal age or not!

Plain and simple.

Whilst the Exeter University programme may have it's limitations, it does address those rights. What should perhaps be examined here, is how effectively it is doing so, and what, within that paradigm needs to be improved upon.

Outrage, and calls for it's abandonment, services no worthwhile purpose other than to once more salve the conscience of our moral rectitude. We should instead be embracing it's concept and correcting whatever it's failings are.

Warren C. E. Austin
Toronto, Canada
Re: I'm aware of Section 28 of the UK Local Government Act  [message #8055 is a reply to message #8052] Thu, 27 February 2003 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rbryce is currently offline  rbryce

Likes it here

awsome topic and some interesting replys
I trust the media  [message #8082 is a reply to message #8040] Sat, 01 March 2003 04:36 Go to previous message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

To sensationalize, take things out of context, and screw up the facts, not necessarily intentionally, though.

But, the "different levels of physical intimacy" and knowing where to stop are definitely worth discussing as part of sexual education, IMHO.
Previous Topic: Some Prayers and Warm wishes needed here
Next Topic: Here's a funny for everyone. (keep up smith)
Goto Forum: