A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Egocentric Ramblings
Egocentric Ramblings  [message #9368] Thu, 10 April 2003 23:22 Go to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

Dear All,

I came across this board pretty much by accident earlier this evening and have spent a while reading some of the posts here. I imagine that this site and board generate a certain amount of controversy; however, the members seem pretty genuine and supportive. I'm not really sure what sort of age most people are (well, apart from those who announce their birthdays), or where they come from, but I suppose that doesn't really matter.

I am an 18 year-old British boy. I am, I suppose, bisexual, but to be honest I have never really been asked to classify my sexuality. I am rather unhappy about my life at the moment and have suffered from depression in the past. Basically, I would like to find someone or some people with whom to discuss Life completely anonymously. I appreciate that this site is perhaps a funny place to come, but to be honest it is probably the most friendly messageboard I have seen (not that I have ever visited any, see above Smile. I hope you don't mind...

David
Hi David, you found the right place.  [message #9369 is a reply to message #9368] Thu, 10 April 2003 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charlie is currently offline  charlie

Really getting into it

We are usually anonymous, never unanimous, and always willing to help spread the meaning of life (or at least our version, hehe). So sit back, relax, and enjoy. If you have a particular question or a random thought please do post. I know you will get some type of response, mainly because some on this board do nothing but, lol. Actually, you will find that vast majority here willing to listen, and willing to talk.

Hugs, Charlie
icon6.gif Re: Egocentric Ramblings  [message #9370 is a reply to message #9368] Fri, 11 April 2003 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thirdfencepost is currently offline  thirdfencepost

Really getting into it

hey dude!
Welcome I'm Andy and I'm 15... at the moment I think I'm the youngest here who knows that might change. meaning of life.. So many sides to that makes it ahrd to discuss cuz noone ever will agree oh well I will give you my two cents... maybe 5 if you are lucky!
Peace and trees
~Andy

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
Nothing egocentric, nor rambling..... Just a good start.....  [message #9372 is a reply to message #9368] Fri, 11 April 2003 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

I'm Marc.

Hello

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
icon7.gif Hello David  [message #9373 is a reply to message #9368] Fri, 11 April 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
e is currently offline  e

On fire!

Glad you decided to join us. We are friendly, though sometimes we have our spats. We strive to be supportive and are more than happy to discuss any problem or concern you might have.

Think good thoughts,
e
icon7.gif It's good to be able to talk about yourself  [message #9375 is a reply to message #9368] Fri, 11 April 2003 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

Welcome, David. There is a wonderful variety of folks here. Many of the folks here are the people who write the stories on the site. timmy is our host and site owner.

Since you asked, I think we range from about 15 to around 60 - I don't recall who the grand geezer is at the moment - several of us are middle aged. But you are right - it doesn't much matter here. I hope you stay a bit and give us a chance to know you, as well get to know us a bit. Share as much about your feelings or life as you like, post a joke, or just hang out.
Re: Egocentric Ramblings  [message #9377 is a reply to message #9368] Fri, 11 April 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I'm 18, gone through lots of on and off depressed stages and thought a lot about life in general. While some of these older guys can be really valuable to talk to, if you want to chat to someone who can relate to you age-wise, feel free to contact me. My email is sabenthe4th@hotmail.com

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
icon7.gif Cool! Another David!  [message #9380 is a reply to message #9377] Fri, 11 April 2003 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

Happy that you introduced yourself, David in the UK! Pull up a chair and make yourself comfy.

There's folks here from the UK, the US, the EU, Down Under...

youngsters and geezers (and I'm grateful that my 52 years isn't the oldest...)

Depressed, recovering depressives, soon to be depressed...and then all those anxiety states as well to go thru...we each have something or other bugging us, and something to offer.

Join in anytime!

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
People profile, and the point of it all.  [message #9383 is a reply to message #9368] Fri, 11 April 2003 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It varies. Some of us are old scrotes. You can now tell that I am English!. Some are young teenagers. None so far is younger that 14/15 or so, and I think our oldest is in his 70s. Not that age matters, nor does whatever orientation you happen to have, or happens to be forming within you.

Many things happen here. By accident we even get rows and fights, though no-one likes them. The main thing that happens is unconditional friendship.

Sometimes people ask for and receive advice. Sometimes they ask and do not receive. Sometimes they do not ask, but receive it. In other words it's very much like a real place.

Some of us have met, though this is not a meeting forum. Such things are best done after long acquaintance and under carefully arranged conditions.

Some have fallen in love. Some have fallen out terminally.

The thing that seems to bind us together is a need we cannot explain to be "with" people we see as being "like us".

We never flinch from controversy. One of the rights I hold dear is the right to discuss (not debate) the undiscussable in safety and with peaceful and thoughtful words.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Egocentric Ramblings  [message #9385 is a reply to message #9368] Fri, 11 April 2003 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

I'd like to extend my welcome as well, and hope you'll like it here.

This is the only place on the web I've become comfortable with. This is my home. Smile

The greatest resource this place has to offer is the people that inhabits it. They're my friends and I love them a lot. I hope you stay and become friends too!

Sincerely:
-Lenny

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
icon7.gif Re: Egocentric Ramblings  [message #9389 is a reply to message #9368] Fri, 11 April 2003 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David from the UK is currently offline  David from the UK

Getting started

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the prompt supportive messages! I'm not quite sure what I want to get out of this, but I am certainly willing to participate discussions if I I hope people don't mind if I lurk a little if I'm not really sure what to say. Messageboards have always slightly disconcerted me - once one posts a comment the chances are that it will be on display for months or years, and one never quite knows who will read it. Despite having used the internet regularly for years I have never posted on anything other than technical, computery technical support newsgroups, nor have I ever felt the need to conceal my identity before. (BTW, the "see above" was not supposed to be there in my first post; it referred to a paragraph which I edited out, explaining that I don't usually post to messageboards.)

I have chosen the nickname David from the UK, though it's not a terribly good one. I hope it's all right if I use it for now and perhaps change it later?

The impression I have got is that most people (at least the core posters) seem to know each other - if only electronically. How do I find out a bit more about some of the people here? Or should I post some (hopefully not too) random messages to the board for a while first Smile ?

Thanks again to everyone who posted messages of support.

David

P.S. My email address is notforthatreason@hotmail.com.
How we get to know each other  [message #9390 is a reply to message #9389] Fri, 11 April 2003 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It's easy. We form opinions based on posts and answers to questions. We email. We use random instant messaging software and we simply chatter.

Some of us have been here years, others minutes. Some come and go as they please, others come for a while and are never seen again. Many more people lurk than post

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Re: Egocentric Ramblings  [message #9391 is a reply to message #9389] Fri, 11 April 2003 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
e is currently offline  e

On fire!

All you have to do is ask us if you want to know more about us. Some will tell you lots of stuff, other only a little. I'm 44, live in Southern California, and married. I consider myself bi, but am faithful to my wife. I seem to be the resident sports freak, especially where American sports like baseball and football are concerned. I like to write and timmy has hosted a couple of my stories on the site.

It's ok to change nicks, just let us know it's you. If you register, no one can use it to impersonate you. Lurking is ok too, but if you really want to get to know us ya gotta post.

Think good thoughts,
e
Re: Egocentric Ramblings  [message #9393 is a reply to message #9368] Fri, 11 April 2003 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tim...of usa is currently offline  tim...of usa

Likes it here

greetings
tim...of USA here
resident BDSM freak
dont post much here latly but i have been know to toss out a bizzar thought from time to time.

hugs and welcome
peace
tim..of USA
Instant Messaging  [message #9394 is a reply to message #9390] Fri, 11 April 2003 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Through this message board you will learn a lot about people's beliefs, opinions, communication skills, etc. If you want to get to know them personally though, then you really do need to use real time communication. Most versions of Windows these days have MSN Messenger installed, though I think the majority of members use AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), you can download it ans sign up for a screen name quite simply at http://www.aim.com if you haven't got one already.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
icon12.gif Yup, he's the resident BDSM freak  [message #9395 is a reply to message #9393] Fri, 11 April 2003 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Or one thereof... By far the most qualified, however.

Master Oogway
icon6.gif The Outcast Here  [message #9396 is a reply to message #9368] Fri, 11 April 2003 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

Hiya.....I'm smith, the misunderstood one with no @R. I was the youngest till Andy kicked me out of my comfy chair (waves at Andy Smile)
Jump in whenever you feel like it, David...Life's a pretty big subject but we can tackle it......hmmmm, Life: an ice cold Dr.Pepper, my Kicker, the sun on my face and maybe a hand to hold.

{{{{hugs}}}}
smith J
For what its worth  [message #9413 is a reply to message #9368] Sat, 12 April 2003 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

There's that teeny "Messageboard Irregulars" link at the top. Of course many of us don't want a current photo "public" but seeing what some of us looked like around your age may make us seem a bit more "real" - at least it does for me.

If you hang around a bit and keep up with most of the threads, you'll see many of us include a bit of our personal lives in our replies to explain our perspectives, or sometimes just post little snippets of life to share or vent about situations we are in. There were a couple "major threads" around a month ago where we discussed some things like being gay yet married, for example.

Most of us would love an e-mail asking whatever questions are on your mind - that is one way to get to know folks, too. Alas, I don't IM, but I think most others here do, and I have gotten to know some folks fairly well just through the board posts and occasional e-mails over time.
Hehehe... If you consider black and white real...  [message #9428 is a reply to message #9413] Sat, 12 April 2003 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Wink I still always think that the world used to be in Black and White in the olden days. I can't get over the fact that the world DID in fact have colour Razz

Master Oogway
I grew up in sepia  [message #9438 is a reply to message #9428] Sat, 12 April 2003 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

All my clothes were sepia, so was our car, which, incidentally, had no heater.

I grew up in sepia  [message #9439 is a reply to message #9428] Sat, 12 April 2003 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

All my clothes were sepia, so was our car, which, incidentally, had no heater.

Re: I grew up in sepia  [message #9440 is a reply to message #9438] Sat, 12 April 2003 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

That would have made it easy when choosing what to wear each day. "Now, should I go for the light grey shirt with the dark grey vest, or the dark grey shirt with the light grey vest". Smile

Master Oogway
icon7.gif Hehehe! TIMMY double-posted!  [message #9441 is a reply to message #9439] Sat, 12 April 2003 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I just shaved... Well, some part of my anatomy, and I can't BELIEVE how nice and smooth it feels! Very Happy LOL!

Bet ya all wanted to hear that huh? Rofl! Sorry, I'm feeling nutty (or should that be naughty?) right now, I missed last week's episode of Six Feet Under and I have to stay up late for the rerun. I blame that. Smile

-L

direct my sail."

Btw, it was GREAT. The episode, I mean...  [message #9443 is a reply to message #9441] Sun, 13 April 2003 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

No Message Body

direct my sail."

icon4.gif Since this is working at the moment  [message #9444 is a reply to message #9441] Sun, 13 April 2003 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brian! is currently offline  brian!

Likes it here

Sorry to take so long to reply here, but things haven't been working right.
Hi David, welcome. I was trying to post this right after "e", but it didn't take it, so here it is now.

I was going to say, that once in a while we take a time out and tell about our selves, and it's been a while since we have. So I was trying to be first when "e" beat me to it.

I'm Brian, I live in Ohio, and have been hanging around here for almost a year. (Wow, has it been that long!) Pretty much since Timmy drug me kicking and screaming here. (not really) I've made a lot of friends here, mostly starting out by just sending an email, and then we kinda go to the chat programs from there. Timmy introduced me to 2 guys right here in my own area. (THANKS Timmy) May seem odd, but as you meet people, you'll find out that we are all different in our own way. Heck, I'm a firefighter. Well, enough about me, fire up the email program and contact a few. (I haven't heard of anyone getting bitten yet) I love to chat, so if you don't want to email me, you can contact me on Yahoo or AIM as "pacman0236".

Laters...

Brian

To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.
Give it a day  [message #9447 is a reply to message #9441] Sun, 13 April 2003 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

And it won't be feeling smooth anymore. In fact it will be itching like nothing else.

Master Oogway
icon7.gif Re: Egocentric Ramblings  [message #9448 is a reply to message #9368] Sun, 13 April 2003 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Hi there David! And a big WELCOME to you. Always glad to have another friend join our group.

We (as others have stated) are a very diverse group but I have never found a better bunch of people to be associated with in my life. Yes we squabble, fight, laugh and cry just like a real family.

That is how i see many people here. My family. My hope is that you will find a little bit of what I have found here. This truely is a place where you will find acceptance and caring (and safety hehe). We owe much of that to Timmy, he has a heart as big as all outdoors.

My e-mail is open as well if you need it or just post and look at all the replies. Your definitely welcome here.

Have a great day.

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: It's good to be able to talk about yourself  [message #9461 is a reply to message #9375] Sun, 13 April 2003 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mike is currently offline  mike

Toe is in the water

And one of us is 72 but I confirm that you have found the right place

Friendship is the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts or measure words
icon7.gif Wheee ~ Hiya Mike !!!!!  [message #9462 is a reply to message #9461] Sun, 13 April 2003 21:36 Go to previous message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

No Message Body
Previous Topic: Punching the time clock...
Next Topic: Like flowers, poetry sometimes grow in unexpected places...
Goto Forum: