A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Nostalgia is not what it used to be
Nostalgia is not what it used to be  [message #54723] Wed, 19 November 2008 20:37 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

By the great kindness of a friend I have received a copy of Death in Venice, a film that made a great impression on me even before its release. It was a film that contained "the most beautiful boy in the world" after all.

So, tonight, I settled in to watch the film. I've been looking ofrward to it for ages and "gave it to myself as a treat".

It's astounding how little happens in the entire film! But the seeing of a beautiful boy across the room, the glances, the imagined or real returned glances - they were perfect. They are as I know me, as I know I behave when I see a beautiful boy. It's almost a desperation. Whatever else Visconti captured, that is something he captured to perfection.

What I found peculiar was the boy.

When the film first came out I fell in, well, not love, but in something, with Tadzio. I've found the image of Tadzio beautiful since then. I even bought a Breton fisherman's jersey just like the one in the film so that some of the beauty might rub off in a way.

I studied his face and his body in the film. And, heresy that it may be, I found him to be scrawny, though not in the swimsuit scenes, but I also found him simply not to be beautiful. The screen make-up did pretty well, and he has, when allowed to use it, a winning smile. But he is not beautiful, not exactly.

Now the image on the screen has not changed, so what has happened?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
The real Tadzio  [message #54725 is a reply to message #54723] Wed, 19 November 2008 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

This is the real Tadzio, a Polish boy called Wlayslaw Moes, who inspired Thomas Mann to write 'Death in Venice'.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Nostalgia is not what it used to be  [message #54730 is a reply to message #54723] Thu, 20 November 2008 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

Maybe knowing what he looks like "grown up" has something to do with it.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Theater/3526/bigbjorn.jpg

http://estaticos02.cache.el-mundo.net/magazine/imagenes/2004/228/1076078608.jpg

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: Nostalgia is not what it used to be  [message #54731 is a reply to message #54723] Thu, 20 November 2008 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cameron is currently offline  Cameron

Toe is in the water

I saw the film, too. It was a little slow, but I liked Tadzio. I like that look, blond, thin and young. He was maybe a little too young, but I still find him beautiful. Time has not treated him well, though.
Re: Nostalgia is not what it used to be  [message #54735 is a reply to message #54730] Thu, 20 November 2008 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Well, he sabotaged himself and his looks. That looks like the face of a heavy smoker. He is in a film currently, though, and has acted in films sometimes.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=57bKoHk09PY

Somewhat surreal and not a little scary.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Nostalgia is not what it used to be  [message #54736 is a reply to message #54731] Thu, 20 November 2008 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

What I wondered was how, after all that swimming in salt water and in 1911, he kept his hair so nice.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Nostalgia is not what it used to be  [message #54738 is a reply to message #54723] Thu, 20 November 2008 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulj is currently offline  paulj

Likes it here

Yes, It is indeed a good film and captures the moments well. It nearly did not get made as it was not the first choice at the time. Another book 'Lord Dismiss Us' by Michael Cambell was being considered and nearly got to signing but then the studio changed tack and went for the Thomas Mann book instead.

'Lord Dismiss Us' is out of print but can be found in online secondhand sources.

Paul Jamison

When it comes to movies I have a trunkload of odd facts and fancies... and a huge collection ....
Re: Nostalgia is not what it used to be  [message #54739 is a reply to message #54738] Thu, 20 November 2008 09:00 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Lord Dismiss Us would have been far harder to do. And we'd have needed a kid with black hairs on his lower back!

I found it quite a tedious read when I rebought it a few years back. It was about 50% too long and not that well written. Still, I bought it from £1 and sold it for £10, so I can't complain.

Previous Topic: Butt-Bitten
Next Topic: Huzzah!!
Goto Forum: