A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Turkish court rules gay sex is natural
Turkish court rules gay sex is natural  [message #67464] Wed, 20 February 2013 16:02 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

An interesting press report. The judge is sensible.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Turkish court rules gay sex is natural  [message #67465 is a reply to message #67464] Wed, 20 February 2013 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

Interesting, yes.
The judge is sensible, yes.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but on reading the article it seems that this ruling is in a court of first instance, so it is likely to be overturned on appeal.

The article itself seems to me to be overly optimistic.
However it is a positive development that may affect a future ruling by Turkey's supreme court.

'Even if the supreme court will not accept this ruling - this sets a very positive precedent for future cases'.
Unquote

According to the article, the supreme court ruling was just last year, so it will still be made up of the same judges interpreting the same law. Thus it's highly improbable that in the foreseeable future they will be influenced by this ruling of a lower court judge.

My knowledge of Turkish law is zero, but if it has anything in common with UK law, then my understanding is that it seems unlikely that a lower court could set a precedent for a higher court.

icon6.gif Re: Turkish court rules gay sex is natural  [message #67466 is a reply to message #67465] Wed, 20 February 2013 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Your points about legal systems deserve a technical response that is outside my competence. I'm just rather amused and happy to be told I am natural by a court of law.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Turkish court rules gay sex is natural  [message #73611 is a reply to message #67464] Fri, 10 November 2017 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boysarefree is currently offline  Boysarefree

Getting started

About  time they homosexualty legal  in Turkey 
Re: Turkish court rules gay sex is natural  [message #73658 is a reply to message #67464] Thu, 23 November 2017 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Driver is currently offline  Mark Driver

Getting started

This brings joy in my heart for LGBT people in Turkey.  They may be feeling a huge weight lifting off their shoulders, reading such a ruling in their country.  But I'm also mindful of so many other places where such a ruling is unthinkable, and how a fearful cloud looms over their heads in those places.  I'm thankful I am where I am, and I never take it for granted.
Re: Turkish court rules gay sex is natural  [message #73659 is a reply to message #73658] Thu, 23 November 2017 17:09 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Mark Driver wrote on Thu, 23 November 2017 17:01"
This brings joy in my heart for LGBT people in Turkey.  They may be feeling a huge weight lifting off their shoulders, reading such a ruling in their country.  But I'm also mindful of so many other places where such a ruling is unthinkable, and how a fearful cloud looms over their heads in those places.  I'm thankful I am where I am, and I never take it for granted.

--
Now try to hold a Gay event in Turkey!

Previous Topic: Trans - the new bigotry
Next Topic: Fewer gays, fewer straights. more "just people" ?
Goto Forum: