A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > A themed story is announced
A themed story is announced  [message #70837] Mon, 18 January 2016 17:01 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Of which nightmares are made" was posted first in our "Total Inspiration" thread, and the picture is insane enough to create more than one story! So, who is up for it?

Usual rules apply! I will acknowledge all submissions, but not all may be suitable for the site, not all may be of sufficient quality.

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=2270&private=0

There must be a story in this! Actually, there must be several stories in this!

Let's run a special slot for it!!!!! Please do not post them here. Submit them to me in the normal way

[Updated on: Tue, 19 January 2016 23:06]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A themed story is announced  [message #70863 is a reply to message #70837] Tue, 19 January 2016 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think this is going to catch writers' imaginations. I have the first tale already. The direction it went surprised me. I think the direction of other submissions will surprise me too.

I'm going to hang on to the tales for a short while and then release them all in one go, or in batches. I'm thinking that a couple of weeks to collect the first should work well. I then have to plan a page that works as an index to them all. It will be fun.

Once on the site I'll create a poll that lets folk choose favourites. 

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A themed story is announced  [message #70881 is a reply to message #70863] Wed, 20 January 2016 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

I'll never write it fast enough for a competition, but I do have more than a basic idea from the picture as inspiration. However, the way I see it has the boy fully clothed, but still looking down his trousers.

As to the basic why, well you'll just have to wait for me to put pen to paper. I think I can say this though, I've never seen a gay story on this subject here, or on any other site. And I'm pretty sure no other writers will think as I do (although if they do, I won't proceed).

At the moment, though, I need to re-write a NHS patient questionnaire which I've not even started, and must finish before 8th February.
Re: A themed story is announced  [message #70892 is a reply to message #70881] Thu, 21 January 2016 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Nick "
I'll never write it fast enough for a competition, but I do have more than a basic idea from the picture as inspiration. However, the way I see it has the boy fully clothed, but still looking down his trousers.

As to the basic why, well you'll just have to wait for me to put pen to paper. I think I can say this though, I've never seen a gay story on this subject here, or on any other site. And I'm pretty sure no other writers will think as I do (although if they do, I won't proceed).

At the moment, though, I need to re-write a NHS patient questionnaire which I've not even started, and must finish before 8th February.

--
I am sure you will find the time, Nick. I have not set a firm closing date yet.

I have, so far, two already, with several more telling me they are considering writing. Neither of the two I have already were along the lines I was thinking. I suspect every submission will have a unique take on it.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 January 2016 12:34]

Re: A themed story is announced  [message #70894 is a reply to message #70837] Thu, 21 January 2016 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Preparations are in hand. I have prepared a page for the contest entries, and have started working on creating the polls to judge the stories. In the past we used a poll per tale, which was interesting, though unwieldy. I might consider doing it again.

Re: A themed story is announced  [message #70911 is a reply to message #70894] Sat, 23 January 2016 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Everything is now ready. The invitation page now has rules, the results page is ready, the surveys for the individual story pages are ready, and we have a closing date of midnight UTC on 19 February 2016.

Re: A themed story is announced  [message #70957 is a reply to message #70911] Thu, 28 January 2016 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

I have the sneaking suspicion that several of us are thinking along the same lines. I guess I'll have to wait to find out for sure.
I know what my twisted mind came up with is pretty strange.

raysstories.com
Re: A themed story is announced  [message #70960 is a reply to message #70957] Thu, 28 January 2016 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Smokr wrote on Thu, 28 January 2016 07:22I have the sneaking suspicion that several of us are thinking along the same lines. I guess I'll have to wait to find out for sure.
I know what my twisted mind came up with is pretty strange.

--
I haven't had an entry from you yet, though, have I? I have no record of one's arrival. Remember, if you have sent one but I have not acknowledged it, then it has not arrived

Re: A themed story is announced  [message #70968 is a reply to message #70960] Fri, 29 January 2016 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

It's being finessed at the moment. It'll be in by the deadline.

raysstories.com
Re: A themed story is announced  [message #70982 is a reply to message #70968] Wed, 03 February 2016 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Smokr wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 04:53It's being finessed at the moment. It'll be in by the deadline.

--
In is what it is Smile

Re: A themed story is announced  [message #71072 is a reply to message #70982] Fri, 12 February 2016 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have six entires, now. One has five parts. I think we really have a contest! I welcome more entries.

Re: A themed story is announced  [message #71078 is a reply to message #71072] Fri, 12 February 2016 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Regrettably mine won't be there. While I do have about 75% of the plot, the missing bit eludes me, and is quite important.

It's possible I'll have to adjust my ideas too, as I do want the story to be a bit different, and there is always the chance that another writer has had the same basic idea. I feel confident though my technical part is safe since the explanations on the web are mostly awful, and no-one, except me would wrap a story around the idea.

So it will happen, but when is another matter.
Re: A themed story is announced  [message #71112 is a reply to message #70837] Sat, 20 February 2016 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The polls are now OPEN

The entrants are listed here

Re: A themed story is announced  [message #71114 is a reply to message #71112] Sat, 20 February 2016 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

And I've now read them. Good news for me is none of them come close to my ideas, so I can carry on unchanged although I've still not resolved the issue I mentioned before. I'll think on, as the basic idea works and I've not seen any written story use it.

I've not yet voted on the contest, and I'll have to do so carefully as for me, 'The Dare' by Ronyx stands as a clear winner. A little bit hard to define why at this point, it's just more 'readable' and entertaining. 
Re: A themed story is announced  [message #71115 is a reply to message #71114] Sat, 20 February 2016 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Nick "
And I've now read them. Good news for me is none of them come close to my ideas, so I can carry on unchanged although I've still not resolved the issue I mentioned before. I'll think on, as the basic idea works and I've not seen any written story use it.

I've not yet voted on the contest, and I'll have to do so carefully as for me, 'The Dare' by Ronyx stands as a clear winner. A little bit hard to define why at this point, it's just more 'readable' and entertaining. 

--
I know of three tales that missed the actual deadline, and I suspect all are a different slant on the picture. Vote with pleasure, carefully, yes, but on;y as you see fit. I doubt we will have a runaway winner per se. For me the most interesting area is the individual critique polls

By noon today UTC all the stories had more than 60 reads, not bad for an off the wall tale idea.

Re: A themed story is announced  [message #71118 is a reply to message #71115] Sun, 21 February 2016 16:30 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ok, voting is running well. About 10% of those who read the tale cast a vote.

Late entries are arriving, and I am granting them a partial entry, as you will see from the contest page so that they can get feedback, but not compete for overall honours.

Previous Topic: Writing, uncomfortable topics
Next Topic: For Everything You Are - A new edit!
Goto Forum: