A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > So this is what a great president does first
Re: So this is what a great president does first  [message #72697 is a reply to message #72694] Thu, 02 March 2017 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

"Matthew wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 16:06"
Out of curiosity, has a president ever been removed from office before? I'm English so i really don't know if it's ever happened, but i am curious about it

--

Well, excluding several assassination attempts over the years, there have been 2 impeachments of sitting U.S. presidents (impeachment to the trial before the Senate), though both times failed to convict the president on the charges brought against him.

Andrew Johnson was the first, in 1868, after he attempted to dismiss Secretary of War Edwin Stanton; some in Congress maintained that Johnson's act violated the Tenure of Office Act, a law that was intended to restrict the president's powers to remove certain office-holders without prior approval of the U.S. Senate (the final vote in the U.S. Senate was 35 for "guilty" and 19 for "not guilty," falling 1 vote short of the 2/3 majority needed for conviction under the provisions of the U.S. Constitution).

The second was Bill Clinton, who was impeached on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice over the Monica Lewinsky scandal (the final vote was 45 for "guilty" and 55 for "not guilty" on the perjury charge and a 50/50 split on the obstruction of justice charge).

While I didn't vote for Trump (I voted for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian Party candidate, if anyone's wondering), I can see some of the reasoning behind the mentality of those supporting Trump.  Sometimes, it does seem like the vary people who didn't want to give Trump a chance right from the very beginning are some of the very people who were in the "Let's give Barak Obama a chance" group 8 years ago.  The following editorial cartoon ran a few days ago in the paper, and I'm told by a few Republican friends that it sums up their viewpoints nicely:

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=3273&private=0
  • Attachment: editorial.jpg
    (Size: 130.29KB, Downloaded 928 times)
Re: So this is what a great president does first  [message #72699 is a reply to message #72693] Thu, 02 March 2017 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jackboy is currently offline  Jackboy

Toe is in the water

In the first place "Respect" never did nor should come with ANY Public Office. A National Figurehead
and Leader MUST accept and carry the humility that also comes with that role.
And in the case of a Nation which took the Role of the World's Policeman, had better learn FDR's mantra.
"tread softly and carry a big stick". Like many others I find his arrogance frankly frightening, given the
awful weapons he now controls.

Again- It is NOT just an internal American issue. The lives of billions around the World depends on how he
interacts with others- who and wherever they are. His [Trump] is not the youthful persona of a
strong Kennedy Political Tradition. Nor ever will be.

Regarding the choice between him and Putin (lol) well I ask you.. It's like trying [unsuccessfully] to
compare Nixon with Ho Chi Min. Or even Gorbachev with Regan. In either case one's a Politician whilst
the other's a Cowboy. My money is on Putin and Donald Duck every time; until one of them REALLY loses
the plot. I mean more that usual.

I will say this- We hear all sorts of stories about the USA or at least Trumpists- (oops I nearly
mis-typed that), wanting to become more 'Isolationist'? Fine- do that. But not before leaving the
badge and weapons of the World's Policeman behind. And the World won't thank you for it.
Only remember who's waiting in the wings.

Jack
Re: So this is what a great president does first  [message #72701 is a reply to message #72697] Thu, 02 March 2017 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Nixon would have been removed, had he not resigned under a cloud; over the 'Watergate Scandal'/

Jack.
Re: So this is what a great president does first  [message #72702 is a reply to message #72701] Thu, 02 March 2017 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

Quote:
Jackboy wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 19:28Nixon would have been removed, had he not resigned under a cloud; over the 'Watergate Scandal'/

--

Yes, I realized afterwards that arguably Nixon could have been included in the list as well.  Had he not resigned he certainly would have been impeached by the House at the very least, and a lot of historians and political scientists agree that he would have been convicted by the Senate.
Re: So this is what a great president does first  [message #72707 is a reply to message #72699] Thu, 02 March 2017 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

"Jackboy wrote on Thu, 02 March 2017 00:54"

And in the case of a Nation which took the Role of the World's Policeman, had better learn FDR's mantra.
"tread softly and carry a big stick".
Jack

--

If you're going to misquote one of our Presidents, you should at least misquote the right one! Smile

That was President TR - THEODORE Roosevelt - and his mantra was "SPEAK softly and carry a big stick." The two men were 5th cousins and separated by 30 years, though they were both pretty intense leaders of the nation.

Teddy's 'arrogance' was well demonstrated when he sent a powerful naval force on a round-the-world cruise to settle any doubt about America's resolve and means for maintaining its independence. Three decades later his 'cuz' was similarly arrogant in the face of the Nazi and Japanese regimes. Although, in fairness, FDR left it to a haberdasher to settle those accounts.
Re: So this is what a great president does first  [message #72716 is a reply to message #72707] Sat, 04 March 2017 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Yes Thanks for the correction Chris.
However my point remains unchanged.

Trump still needs to be very careful. He is no international Statesman and an angry comment, shot from the hip
as he certainly does, could cause unspeakable problems for the rest of us.

Jack.
The source of "America First"  [message #72749 is a reply to message #72460] Sun, 12 March 2017 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

According to The Guardian, a non Fake News media outlet, America First has these roots
Quote:
... Witness the remarks of Steve Bannon, chief strategist in Donald Trump's White House and the former chairman of the far-right Breitbart website. In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, Bannon promised that the Trump era would be "as exciting as the 1930s". (In the same interview, he said "Darkness is good" citing Satan, Darth Vader and Dick Cheney as examples.)

"Exciting" is not how the 1930s are usually remembered, but Bannon did not choose his words by accident. He is widely credited with the authorship of Trump's inaugural address, which twice used the slogan "America first". That phrase has long been off-limits in US discourse, because it was the name of the movement packed with nativists and antisemites, and personified by the celebrity aviator Charles Lindbergh that sought to keep the US out of the war against Nazi Germany and to make an accommodation with Hitler. Bannon, who considers himself a student of history, will be fully aware of that 1930s association but embraced it anyway.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: So this is what a great president does first  [message #73003 is a reply to message #72651] Thu, 06 July 2017 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brother Sorrows is currently offline  Brother Sorrows

Getting started

Trumpy Bumpy is as fasxist as my box of tissues.  I do like him and also do not like him.  As do with most and they me.  The greater populating of USA vote for him, or, well, less than 50%, but over 50% of constitution law. 
Re: So this is what a great president does first  [message #73025 is a reply to message #73003] Tue, 11 July 2017 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Driver is currently offline  Mark Driver

Getting started

Trump and his ilk must now attempt to re-define what use to be called treason in the States.  Can his campaign legally meet a Russian agent to discuss affecting a free election?  Nyet!!!

Beyond that, it seems Russia has assets in the West Wing, personnel they have unknown levels of influence over.  Risks need to be mitigated.  I hope the right people are minding the nation's security.  US allies have similar worries.  

Someday this will all end in many interesting books!!
Bless his tiny hands and busy thumbs!  [message #73361 is a reply to message #72457] Mon, 04 September 2017 13:07 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

and

seem to encapsulate the very strange man who endangers the entire world.

They also prove that Simon and Garfunkel have a relevance today. Who knew?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: "I'll Find My Way Home"
Next Topic: Gay Labels...?
Goto Forum: