A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > A Rotten Christmas by Jolyon Lewes
icon7.gif A Rotten Christmas by Jolyon Lewes  [message #75317] Fri, 21 December 2018 16:52 Go to next message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

This was a brilliantly written story, superb in every detail. It's not too often one picks up a book that simply can't be put down. It read like one of the best period drama that the British are so good at, it was right up there with Another Country. I simply can't believe that chapter four is the end, when I could so easily have read on and on, I was captivated and enthralled.

Even more impressive was the lack of any mistakes, so as an author Jolyon Lewes is either not just a brilliant writer but multi-talented editor and proof reader, or has the support of a very good editor. Do I have any criticisms? Well YES, that there are only four chapters, please write some more, because it's strange to think that this new and wonderful story ends so soon!

http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/jolyon-lewes/a-rotten-c hristmas/01.html
Re: A Rotten Christmas by Jolyon Lewes  [message #75318 is a reply to message #75317] Fri, 21 December 2018 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Leave 'em wanting more!" works very well, doesn't it?

I try to pick up any typos I find even when the author and editor (if any) declare it camera ready

[Updated on: Fri, 21 December 2018 19:26]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A Rotten Christmas by Jolyon Lewes  [message #75328 is a reply to message #75317] Mon, 24 December 2018 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

I'm immensely grateful to William King for such generous comments on  my story. They have warmed my heart and I very much hope that my story warms the hearts of other readers.

It's deliberate that the tale ends rather abruptly. I leave it to my readers to decide the details of Timothy's future life - but I've given a big fat clue.

I do my own proof-reading and I've learnt to do it patiently and in several separate sessions, a day or more after finishing the writing. My first few stories had all sorts of mistakes that I had to ask Timmy to correct. I think in one instance the hero of the story had about three different names in one paragraph!

Merry Christmas, everyone.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 December 2018 10:24]

Jolyon
Re: A Rotten Christmas by Jolyon Lewes  [message #75330 is a reply to message #75317] Mon, 24 December 2018 18:48 Go to previous message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

"William King wrote on Fri, 21 December 2018 16:52"
This was a brilliantly written story, superb in every detail.

I concur!
Previous Topic: The Best Christmas by Victor Thomas
Next Topic: It's Time for Christmas Wishes, Charlie Boone by Geron Kees
Goto Forum: