A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > A Knight to Remember
A Knight to Remember  [message #75813] Tue, 18 June 2019 07:21 Go to next message
Andichan is currently offline  Andichan

Getting started

I have to say, I'm enjoying this story, A Knight to Remember written by ChessDude. It has the potential of being a great tale in my estimation, however...... I find it very annoying that chapters are not being posted twice-weekly as would normally be the case, and I'm reminded of the times when I used to read stories on Nifty where authors would post two or three chapters before giving up on the idea.
  I realise that there's a shortage of quality work right now, but I still think it would be much better if publication waited until the story was complete.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2019 08:39] by Moderator

Andy.
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #75817 is a reply to message #75813] Thu, 20 June 2019 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominick St James is currently offline  Dominick St James

Toe is in the water

"Andichan wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 07:21"
I have to say, I'm enjoying this story, A Knight to Remember written by ChessDude. It has the potential of being a great tale in my estimation, however...... I find it very annoying that chapters are not being posted twice-weekly as would normally be the case, and I'm reminded of the times when I used to read stories on Nifty where authors would post two or three chapters before giving up on the idea.
  I realise that there's a shortage of quality work right now, but I still think it would be much better if publication waited until the story was complete.

--Yes, of course, Andrew. The reader wants continuity when he's lapping the chapters up, but quality writing is hard work, it does'nt come out of a tube. Yet the author wants to be out there. He has a few chapters under his belt, and wants to splurge them, and hopes they will remain in the reader's digestive system, till the next chapter comes along. There's a petulance in the author's pen, and he thinks his prose is good enough to hold your attention, while more of the same formulates in his mind. It's a compromise. And on Nifty, I can bet it's just the same, except there, quality, indiscrimately rubs shoulders with trash. Get writing Andrew and get out there, chapter after chapter!

[Updated on: Thu, 20 June 2019 18:18]

Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #75818 is a reply to message #75817] Thu, 20 June 2019 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Andichan does

I have hopes that something is heading our way in the not too far distant future.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #75819 is a reply to message #75813] Thu, 20 June 2019 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Andichan wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 08:21"

--
Since the quality is high I have made two procedural exceptions to my desire for contiguous posting. One is for our chess playing hero and the other is for Zach. We do have a dearth of quality pieces available. I think all story sites are suffering the same lack.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #75827 is a reply to message #75819] Sun, 07 July 2019 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

I love this story! I know all the chapters have been completed by the author. Just waiting for them to be published before I forget the storyline! 
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #75828 is a reply to message #75827] Mon, 08 July 2019 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I've just reminded the author to send me more chapters

Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #75849 is a reply to message #75827] Thu, 25 July 2019 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"luvtwinks wrote on Sun, 07 July 2019 22:29"
I love this story! I know all the chapters have been completed by the author. Just waiting for them to be published before I forget the storyline! 

--
I misspoke. He had only completed through chapter 6. I've contacted the author. He is moving cross country next week, but he says he'll continue writing once things settle down in a couple of weeks. So it looks more is coming in the near future. Looking forward to seeing how things play out with Ian and Ollie!
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #75933 is a reply to message #75813] Wed, 25 September 2019 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

So glad to see another chapter posted! This one does not disappoint.
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #75998 is a reply to message #75813] Mon, 14 October 2019 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChessDude is currently offline  ChessDude

Getting started

Hey guys!

A new chapter has been submitted to Tim and should be up shortly. I understand some of the frustration with the wait. But I have to make a choice as the author, and it isn't an easy one...

I have a very demanding job in a very demanding city. And so my time is limited severly by those two things. The other factor here is the amount of time I put into each chapter. Quality matters to me more than anything. If it takes me an extra week to reach the quality that I expect, then I make that sacrifice. I want this story to live on and be something you guys never forget. Something you read again, even! The third factor here is length. Some chapters are just much longer than others, and that's by necessity. The chapter about to be published is the longest by far. And It needed to be. Every chapter I write takes me approximately 20+ hours of writing/proofing/thinking plus taking in my editor's feedback. There isn't a chapter I post that hasn't been agonized over. I know some authors may be able to move more quickly than me, but remember this is my first story!

Anyway, I am getting back into the groove. So expect chapters every 1-1/2 to 2 weeks, maybe more frequently. I may not post as quickly as others, but it's my hope that each chapter will keep you glued to the page until the very end. That my book stands out among many of the others.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I think the most recent chapter (the one about to be published) is one of my best.

Hope you like it as much as I do!
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #75999 is a reply to message #75998] Mon, 14 October 2019 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"ChessDude wrote on Mon, 14 October 2019 17:04"
Hey guys!

A new chapter has been submitted to Tim and should be up shortly. I understand some of the frustration with the wait. But I have to make a choice as the author, and it isn't an easy one...

I have a very demanding job in a very demanding city. And so my time is limited severly by those two things. The other factor here is the amount of time I put into each chapter. Quality matters to me more than anything. If it takes me an extra week to reach the quality that I expect, then I make that sacrifice. I want this story to live on and be something you guys never forget. Something you read again, even! The third factor here is length. Some chapters are just much longer than others, and that's by necessity. The chapter about to be published is the longest by far. And It needed to be. Every chapter I write takes me approximately 20+ hours of writing/proofing/thinking plus taking in my editor's feedback. There isn't a chapter I post that hasn't been agonized over. I know some authors may be able to move more quickly than me, but remember this is my first story!

Anyway, I am getting back into the groove. So expect chapters every 1-1/2 to 2 weeks, maybe more frequently. I may not post as quickly as others, but it's my hope that each chapter will keep you glued to the page until the very end. That my book stands out among many of the others.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I think the most recent chapter (the one about to be published) is one of my best.

Hope you like it as much as I do!

--
Chessdude aims for Wednesdays. He doesn't alwasy hit each one!  To ensure he has almost as much time as he needs I only publish his tale on Wednesdays

Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #76029 is a reply to message #75813] Wed, 16 October 2019 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alertbay is currently offline  alertbay

Getting started

I just started this story and am thoroughly enjoying it.  The characterization is great.  The humor marvelous.  It's a story we all know, very well told. I'm trying to ration chapters.  I'm seldom successful in that effort.
icon10.gif Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #76057 is a reply to message #76029] Sat, 19 October 2019 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Thanks so much alertbay. Very kind words and I'm really glad you're enjoying the comedic element of the story. Those parts are some of my favorite parts to write Grin

I hope you continue to enjoy it!
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #76099 is a reply to message #75819] Fri, 25 October 2019 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Al N. is currently offline  Al N.

Getting started

"timmy wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 16:38"

"Andichan wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 08:21"

--
Since the quality is high I have made two procedural exceptions to my desire for contiguous posting. One is for our chess playing hero and the other is for Zach. We do have a dearth of quality pieces available. I think all story sites are suffering the same lack.

--
I agree Timmy. While quality from website to website is quite subjective, for more descriminating sites like yours (and I hope I may include my own), there is a decided lack.
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #76152 is a reply to message #76057] Tue, 05 November 2019 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Glad to see things moving forward with Ian and Ollie. Looks like Gabrielle could temporarily derail things though. I suppose we'll find out in future chapters! 

I loved Ian's train of thought about the feet thing. I totally get it. Having said that, I had one dude massage my feet and suck my toes back in the day. OMG it was f'ing amazing! ❤️

Keep up the good work Chessdude! I understand this your first story. You have a bright future! I look forward to reading more from you. 😀
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #76158 is a reply to message #76152] Wed, 06 November 2019 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

"luvtwinks wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 21:56"
Glad to see things moving forward with Ian and Ollie. Looks like Gabrielle could temporarily derail things though. I suppose we'll find out in future chapters! 

I loved Ian's train of thought about the feet thing. I totally get it. Having said that, I had one dude massage my feet and suck my toes back in the day. OMG it was f'ing amazing! ❤️

Keep up the good work Chessdude! I understand this your first story. You have a bright future! I look forward to reading more from you. 😀

--

Thanks so much man! Glad you're enjoying it!
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #76270 is a reply to message #75998] Tue, 26 November 2019 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pandareader is currently offline  pandareader

Toe is in the water

Hi Chessdude!

I am really enjoying the story so far, the writing is excellent and I grew to care about the characters.

I know you have said that real life gets in the way of writing sometimes, but I just wanted to give a few words of encouragement and remind you that you have eager readers waiting for the next chapter in this story.

Take the time you need to write with the same quality standards that you set for yourself but please don´t leave this story incomplete.
I, for one, am hoping things will go well for Ian and Ollie in the future (I have a feeling that there will be a lot of obstacles in the way, though) and am really looking forward to finding out what happen next in the story!

Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #76973 is a reply to message #76158] Wed, 03 June 2020 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I've recently reached out to the author regarding the future of this story. Look forward to future chapters. His reply:

"This story will not be left to rot. I will finish it I promise. It's just been a hectic time as you said. But I have by no means forgotten about it :-)I will get on the bandwagon here pretty soon I hope."
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #76986 is a reply to message #76973] Thu, 04 June 2020 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

"luvtwinks wrote on Wed, 03 June 2020 15:44"
I've recently reached out to the author regarding the future of this story. Look forward to future chapters. His reply:

"This story will not be left to rot. I will finish it I promise. It's just been a hectic time as you said. But I have by no means forgotten about it :-)I will get on the bandwagon here pretty soon I hope."

--

As someone who also likes the story, I was wondering about it.  Thanks for contacting the author and letting us know his response!
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #77005 is a reply to message #76986] Sat, 06 June 2020 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andichan is currently offline  Andichan

Getting started

"Mark wrote on Thu, 04 June 2020 22:27"

"luvtwinks wrote on Wed, 03 June 2020 15:44"

--
An almost identical promise was made twelve months ago. I'm not about to hold my breath for fear of suffocation. 
As someone who also likes the story, I was wondering about it.  Thanks for contacting the author and letting us know his response!

--

Andy.
Re: A Knight to Remember  [message #77006 is a reply to message #77005] Sat, 06 June 2020 22:03 Go to previous message

Likes it here

"Andichan wrote on Sat, 06 June 2020 19:57"
An almost identical promise was made twelve months ago. I'm not about to hold my breath for fear of suffocation. 

--
The latest chapter was published to this site in November 2019. Hardly 12 months. I think you are safe from suffocation.
Previous Topic: Logan
Next Topic: Minister by Camy Sussex
Goto Forum: