A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Mortaumal
Mortaumal  [message #76416] Mon, 16 December 2019 16:36 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Another from our resident satirist, Mortaumal started today. I hesitate to say more. Well, I hesitate at the moment.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Mortaumal  [message #76424 is a reply to message #76416] Fri, 20 December 2019 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talo Segura is currently offline  Talo Segura

Likes it here

Just finished the first chapter and I have to say I commend anyone who writes something different, intelligent, and entertaining. Plus, one must applaud the characters names and terribly matter of fact descriptions of somewhat incredible events. It's a riot!
Re: Mortaumal  [message #76425 is a reply to message #76416] Fri, 20 December 2019 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Read all three chapters and if you take my recommendation you will read it yourself. It's an audacious breath of fresh air which reflects the author's view on life in a way which is not over imposing, so you're free to take it or leave it, agree with what you agree with and move on if you have another opinion. In any event, it will keep you entertained unless you're prudish, prissy and puritanical, in which case you'll need to lighten up or refrain from reading on.
Re: Mortaumal  [message #76426 is a reply to message #76425] Fri, 20 December 2019 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The characters range from friendly and cuddly to bizarre and groteqsque. The plot never fails to startle. The air drips with liquid satire

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Mortaumal  [message #76428 is a reply to message #76426] Sat, 21 December 2019 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Yet another excellent Title from Rigby Taylor. It's good from beginning to end as are all of his I've read. Lots of unpredictable plot twists and turns, and thoroughly entertaining. Numba Cruncha has been my absolute favorite of the serials so far. He's got a number of short stories also that I hope he allows Timmy to host here. My favorite of hose is an amusing little tale titled, "Spreading the Word."

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Mortaumal  [message #76437 is a reply to message #76416] Sun, 22 December 2019 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Composer is currently offline  The Composer

Toe is in the water

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I regret to say that I found the story confusing and incoherent, and I have no idea where it is going from here.
Re: Mortaumal  [message #76438 is a reply to message #76437] Sun, 22 December 2019 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

There is quite a cast of characters, certainly. Mort has quite a chaotic adolescence, so I can see why it might be confusing.

Re: Mortaumal  [message #76459 is a reply to message #76438] Sun, 29 December 2019 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I do not find this tale confusing but that's not an indictment for those of you who may. In the past I've found this or that tale to be confusing yet others did not. I think it's a matter of individual foibles. We all have them and they're all different. 

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Mortaumal  [message #76477 is a reply to message #76416] Wed, 08 January 2020 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

The author has through his protaganist Mortaumal put forward the philosophy, or life science, of natural living. Very much in counterpoise to Christian religion, or any religion. He has expounded the idea that indigenous Australian Aboriginies living the life of the nomad hunter gatherer had a sustainable harmony with nature which was destroyed by colonisation. Something which introduced farming and population expansion leading to the over utilisation of the planet's resources.

The paradox is that our hero, Mortaumal, became who he is, in great part by devouring the books in Marshall's library. If farming had never engendered civilisation by allowing humans the time to occupy themselves with things other than survival, those books would never have been written.

The theory that nothing survives death and the body is simply a fertiliser that takes it's part in the eternal cycle of existence is propounded as a stark reality that contradicts hypocritical beliefs in God. Which god? Mortaumal asks, there are hundreds. The concept of nature extends to nudism, as the body holds nothing to be ashamed of. Unless you are (as Mortaumal explains) one of the ugly fat people who would do better to have sex in the dark than the natural light of day.

The story so far is a rollercoaster of counterpoints, religion, hypocritical belief, nature, ecology, with self-defence and a nonchalant approach to bad people dying as in getting their just desserts, all thrown together and dropped into the melange. Interesting reading.
Re: Mortaumal  [message #76478 is a reply to message #76477] Wed, 08 January 2020 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think you hit every single nail on the head!

Re: Mortaumal  [message #76479 is a reply to message #76478] Thu, 09 January 2020 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

The author does tend toward an apocalyptic view of earth's near to intermediate future. Though perhaps a bit overwrought in some ways it's certainly not outside the wrealm of possibility, given the current trends in the world democracies toward increasingly fascistic governing paradigms. I appreciate him painting the picture and possibilities. 

Re: Mortaumal  [message #76498 is a reply to message #76479] Sat, 25 January 2020 18:00 Go to previous message

Likes it here

This story is very captivating, with a host of people whose lives Mort crosses, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and a rather large number of deaths. There is one point of disagreement I have between myself and the narrator, a question of interpretation, yet whilst simply a subtle difference the impact is huge. 

'Mort, we are alone all our lives, individuals trapped in separate bodies, constantly trying to make intimate contact with others, gathering as many friends and acquaintances as we can, always disappointed that they don't understand us, dreaming of being able to somehow get inside another person for a while.

Whereas the narrator feels we gather as many friends and acquaintances as we can, only to be disappointed, dreaming of being able to get inside another person for a while, I don't share that experience, have no need to gather a lot of friends and even less so acquaintances. I have however made connections that do get inside another person, those connections do not even require language.

I am greatly enjoying the unfolding story and numerous scenarios Mort tumbles into. You don't have to agree with the narrator that the lights go out with death, there is room for all sorts of ideas and beliefs, and this theory is no greater or lesser than any other.
Previous Topic: Excelsior by David Clarke
Next Topic: Seventh Summer
Goto Forum: