A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > John Boswell: The Man Who Gave Christianity A Sex Talk!
 () 1 Vote
John Boswell: The Man Who Gave Christianity A Sex Talk!  [message #77074] Mon, 15 June 2020 17:50 Go to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

I'm lifting the title of this forum string right off the title of a piece Jonathan (who writes on sex & theology on Medium) published yesterday. I do so because the title is so poignant and accurate!

It is an overview of the life and work of John Boswell, and well worth a read. You'll learn that he was not just an amazing academic who spoke seventeen languages and died young of AIDS, but was a charming person and erudite scholar who is amazingly underappreciated.

His work is arguable among the most significant academic efforts of the last forty years that have contributed to an expanded understanding of homosexuality in society and culture across history, and which provided significant academic underpinings upon which the fight for LGBTQ rights could be made.

You can read the entire piece by Jonathan, subtitled "John Boswell did the impossible," by clidking here.

I continue to be surprised at the number of well informed LGBTQ activists who don't know about or underapprecaite his work, so comments, questions and observations on them are the point of this forum post!

Bensiamin
Re: John Boswell: The Man Who Gave Christianity A Sex Talk!  [message #77090 is a reply to message #77074] Wed, 17 June 2020 16:47 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I read this in detail. All the way through I found I was wondering why anyone would wish to become Roman Catholic anyway, let alone when it seemd his sexuality was not heterosexual.

Most people who cause great change are not important. They are simply people with a vision, often a single minded one.

Was my late friend Rabbi Simchah Roth important? I believe so, but he was very much a backroom negotiator

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: The Windrush scandal.
Next Topic: National Lockdown Suggestions Please
Goto Forum: