A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Writing, uncomfortable topics
Writing, uncomfortable topics  [message #71033] Mon, 08 February 2016 15:01 Go to previous message
larkin is currently offline  larkin

Toe is in the water

Writing, uncomfortable topics

Unless I am mistaken, this is a writing group for people who want to write creatively.  It is also gay oriented and my guess is that the membership is primarily male allowing those issues to be addressed without fear or explanation.  

Writers like to construct worlds. They write about worlds of fantasy, idealized relationships and adventure. Often, they write about way they wish things could be.  This is writing for pleasure and escape. This is paralleled in video game content. 

I happen to love video games but writing can be more than that.  It can be much deeper and it can sometimes be life changing.

What writing can do is to describe the human condition through the eyes of a fictional character.  In doing this, writing can sometimes reveal truths that are hidden in plain sight better than any straight forward chronology..  

Paradoxically, it is what can make some fiction more truthful than fact.

When you write about a realistic love affair between two boys and there is real life adversity and conflict, you are writing fiction, but is it really fiction?  You are telling the world what is like to be in this situation.  You also have the potential to offer the reader way to solve the dilemma.

Many people do not want to hear it. others will hate the idea but there are a few that will understand and relate to your characters even if they are fiction.  If your reader is struggling, if they are unpopular or subject to abuse. Perhaps your story will help them.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 February 2016 15:04]

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message