A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Slippery Sam by Jolyon Lewes
Slippery Sam by Jolyon Lewes  [message #71472] Mon, 02 May 2016 22:55 Go to previous message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

For those of us old enough to remember, the night that President Kennedy played poker with Nikita Kruschev, threatening to sink the Russian ships bringing nuclear weapons to Cuba... is unfortunately unforgettable.

Jolyon was at a boarding school that was equi-spaced from three ground zeros, one was a V bomber dispersal field and another was the reconnaissance centre responsible for updating the UK's targeting, the third was a US air base. His chances of survival were zero.

We have discussed this many times. As a student, I was much better off, I caught God's Wonderful Railway back to South Wales, home was in the lee of a mountain and I was pretty sure that the blast would go over the top of us.

Like Martin Luther King, Jolyon has a dream... and he has written it up for us. A dream or a nightmare? A dream of the night when most boys in his dormitory shared a bed with their best friend, they didn't want to die alone.

All that sounds a bit bleak, but this is Jolyon... his dreams belie the moment. Read it and enjoy his sense of the ridiculous, but remember... much of this happened and President Kennedy had no Plan B.

Read it here...  http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/jolyon-lewes/shorts/sli ppery-sam.html

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: The Boy And The Spider.
Next Topic: Star Light, Star Bright-- by Geron Kees
Goto Forum:

[ RSS ]