A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Covid 19 - Coronavirus
Covid 19 - Coronavirus  [message #76590] Wed, 18 March 2020 08:49 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I realised a couple of days ago that some folk are isolated, perhaps by choice, and are made unduly fearful by the hysteria and media feeding frenzy sweeping the world right now, and the look of stern bewilderment on the faces of those who are meant to be our leaders in times of trouble.

Add to that quack remedies that can not work but which will make a profit for the snake oil salesman peddling them and we get a toxic emotional mess.

I've been looking at the UK figures. We only test those in the 'vulnerable' demographic who present with symptoms. So far that is some 55,000. Of those tested we have identified 1,950 cases. Of those 1950 cases 60 folk have died. Alarmists will see ~3% and worry. Realists will know that we have far more cases than that, some of who are asymptomatic. At the end of all this brouhaha I suspect we will see a death rate sub 1%, or one equivalent to a virulent influenza strain.

I suspect the world has reacted hysterically in the same way that populist leaders have been elected recently, driven by social media alleged experts, not by calm heads of reason. It's not a particularly serious ailment, though it is contagious. Most folk will catch it very mildly. Some folk will have a rotten time. Some folk will not survive. I've no idea which of those I'll be, and I'm unperturbed about any of the outcomes.

Like influenza, it will be around for all time, and be a seasonal illness. In due course a vaccine will be developed for at least this strain of it.

In our latest story announcement email I've invited all folk feeling worried or disconnected to come here and express hopes, fears, lonelinesses. I ask that people do not fearmonger, nor be unnecessarily cheerful. We help worried and lonely people by being realistic

[Updated on: Wed, 18 March 2020 08:56]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message