A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Buffalo Teen Kills Himself After Years Of Anti-Gay Bullying
icon9.gif Buffalo Teen Kills Himself After Years Of Anti-Gay Bullying  [message #66181] Tue, 20 September 2011 19:40 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

From the Buffalo News.com's Sandra Tan:
Jamey Rodemeyer needed help. At 14, he was grappling with adolescent demons that could torment grown men. And when he was online, he wrote about it. "I always say how bullied I am, but no one listens," he wrote Sept. 9. "What do I have to do so people will listen to me?" Just over one week later, Jamey was found dead outside his home of an apparent suicide. In the months prior, he routinely blogged about school bullying and thoughts of suicide in between upbeat posts about his pop star idol Lady Gaga and the ordinary types of teen rants typical for kids his age. On Sept. 8, he wrote: "No one in my school cares about preventing suicide, while you're the ones calling me [gay slur] and tearing me down."

Joe Jervis, (Joe.My.God blogspot) writes:

Heartbroken Buffalo parents Tracy and Tim Rodemeyer say they found their 14 year-old son Jamey dead yesterday morning in a presumed suicide. Jamey had long complained of vicious homophobic bullying at the hands of his classmates.

Much of Jamey's tormenting came via cyber-bullying. His parents, who say they discussed and supported Jamey's questioning of his sexuality, intend to carry on his campaign against bullies.

VIDEO: Jamey actually recorded an "It Get Better" clip back in May.

icon9.gif Re: Buffalo Teen Kills Himself After Years Of Anti-Gay Bullying  [message #66183 is a reply to message #66181] Wed, 21 September 2011 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

How sad...how senseless. How sorry I feel for Jamey's parents.

I read the article in the Buffalo news:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/schools/article563538.ece

The things that were said to Jamey are contemptable and qualify as hate speech. But I was further disturbed by the commentary following the article, you know the type: Gays are to blame for these suicides because we are all athiests who shun salvation.

What sick little minds come to such conclusions? I'm all for freedom of speech, but people under the age of 18 don't seem to understand how to use it. They don't vote, let's kick them off the internet social sites. Or at least let us tag all commentary with a code to identify the user and prosecute them when they use hate speech.

That would be a wake up call. Instead of reading sad headlines about gay teen suicide we would be reading about young haters being locked up for contributing to the deaths. How far should we go to preserve a life? I don't think we can go far enough.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Buffalo Teen Kills Himself After Years Of Anti-Gay Bullying  [message #66184 is a reply to message #66183] Wed, 21 September 2011 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Thanks Chris. Once again you express it better than i could.'How sad...how senseless. How sorry I feel for Jamey's parents.' It'd be just horrific for them & the poor kid!

Just one thing i'd add, about the under 18's not understanding how to use freedom of speech - they certainly don't, especially on the internet. Pity they can't be kicked off the social sites, they can be vicious on there. I see young teens on Facebook all the time hating on each other and these are their "friends"!

The victim doesn't have to be gay, any difference will do and they're into him, or her, like chooks ripping into the one at the bottom of the pecking order. Probably makes them feel better about themselves or something.

I know a local 14yo who was being bullied on Facebook, they even set up a 'Hate C***' page. It was not because he's gay, (though he probably is), but just because they decided that he's an internet-addict and on-line all the time.

He came home from school crying and his mum found him in his room with a handful of pills - probably not enough to kill him but the intention was there. Everything is all so dramatic at that age.

I've promised him a good arse-kicking if he does that again. He thinks i'm kidding - i'm not!

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: Buffalo Teen Kills Himself After Years Of Anti-Gay Bullying  [message #66193 is a reply to message #66181] Sun, 25 September 2011 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

I've thought before that I'm glad that there was no internet when I was a teen. It was bad enough dealing with that crap at school, if I had to do it at home too . . .
Then again, there's help on the net, too. Makes me wish I could start a place where EVERY tormented gay/lesbian could get real support and help, and we could prevent this kind of thing.

raysstories.com
Standing up for Jamey  [message #66195 is a reply to message #66181] Sun, 25 September 2011 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I am too old to appreciate what Lady GaGa has to offer the music world, but she has millions of fans and one of them was Jamey Rodemeyer.

After seeing this I think his idol is one classy lady. Perhaps with her vast resources she can reach the minds of the young generation responsible for the hatred aimed at young LBGT kids.

I won't buy her albums, but I will pay more attention to her class act!

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Standing up for Jamey  [message #66201 is a reply to message #66195] Tue, 27 September 2011 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

That's brilliant, Chris. Thanks. The Lady surely is a Class Act.

For what it's worth, Lady Gaga's tribute and her stand made headlines at the far end of the world - http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/5688140/Gaga-pays-tribute-to-suicide-victim

I just hope it doesn't backfire and inspire some other tortured kid to seek 15 minutes of fame too. That happens - a coroner here, against normal policy, released details of a teen boy's suicide (other issues - he was not gay). The thinking was that it might deter others from doing the same. Within 24 hours another 16yo boy in very similar circumstances disappeared and still hasn't been found 4 days later.

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: Standing up for Jamey  [message #66202 is a reply to message #66195] Wed, 28 September 2011 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dgt224 is currently offline  dgt224

Toe is in the water

The original video link has died; hopefully this will work.

the bullying is still going on....  [message #66203 is a reply to message #66195] Thu, 29 September 2011 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

"Even after a teen-ager tragically committed suicide in suburban Buffalo this month in the wake of constant harassment, the bullying allegedly did not stop with his death.

The parents of 14-year-old Jamey Rodemeyer, who was found dead at their home on Sept. 18, indicated in an exclusive interview with TODAY’s Ann Curry on Tuesday that their daughter endured further taunts at a school function immediately after Jamey’s wake. At a homecoming dance she attended shortly after her brother’s death, a potentially poignant moment turned ugly after a song by Lady Gaga, Jamey’s favorite artist, who recently dedicated a song at a concert in his memory.

“She was having a great time, and all of a sudden a Lady Gaga song came on, and they all started chanting for Jamey, all of his friends,’’ Jamey’s mother, Tracy, told Curry. “Then the bullies that put him into this situation started chanting, ‘You’re better off dead!’ and ‘We’re glad you’re dead!’ and things like that."

More of the story here:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44684938/ns/today-today_people/t/teens-parents-after-suicide-hes-still-being-bullied/

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Please sign this  [message #66204 is a reply to message #66181] Thu, 29 September 2011 14:44 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-williamsville-school-district-put-an-end-to-bullyingpunish-the-bullies-who-celebrated-jameys-death says it all. PLease pass this widely through social media. Change.org petitions make a difference. They bombard the target with emails. Yes, they can be filtered, but the sheer volume cannot be ignored

The school district's site is here: http://www.williamsvillek12.org/contact.cfm Send a personal message to all the schools in the district, too.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Absurd apps for your personal electronics...
Next Topic: 2011 Rafto Prize to Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG)
Goto Forum: