A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > A beautiful tale
A beautiful tale  [message #67060] Wed, 03 October 2012 16:01 Go to next message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

Every once in awhile, you come across something that you can't help but share. I was surfing youtube today and found this short movie. It is a beautiful Romeo and Juliet (maybe Julian?) type of story that I thought you might enjoy.

http://tinyurl.com/9amqkpl

Peter

(edited to embed the video)

[Updated on: Wed, 03 October 2012 16:34] by Moderator

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
Re: A beautiful tale  [message #67061 is a reply to message #67060] Wed, 03 October 2012 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

No idea what to say now.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A beautiful tale  [message #67071 is a reply to message #67061] Thu, 04 October 2012 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Damm!
Re: A beautiful tale  [message #67072 is a reply to message #67060] Thu, 04 October 2012 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I am certainly hoping that those are good responses as I personally enjoyed the story... tragic as the ending was.

Re: A beautiful tale  [message #67073 is a reply to message #67072] Thu, 04 October 2012 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm finding it difficult to be positive towards it, despite appreciating it, if you follow me.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A beautiful tale  [message #67074 is a reply to message #67060] Thu, 04 October 2012 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

Like Timmy, I appreciated it, but my overall feelings were not positive. It was perhaps in the same way that as I'd appreciate a well-made documentary about the dangers of STDs. But I can't say I enjoyed it, even though it was well made and in part showed a beautiful loving relationship.

Generally, I don't enjoy fictional tragedies. Every day the news is full real-life tragedies, providing more than I need. And the way it ended, though, well I didn't like that. Yes, the lovers were victims of father, family, circumstances, society's taboos, etc, but the way it ended meant that, in my view, the lovers reinforced their own status as victims.

Perhaps because of my own family background, I would have fought my family to the death rather that end as they did. e.g. I might have got my bro to join me in going to the police and accusing my father of molesting us both as children. I would probably also have said mother conspired with him, or at least deliberately turned a blind eye. Then no matter what our parents said, who would believe them? Our word against theirs. With parents like that, I'd have no qualms about lying to preserve myself and my brother.

Still, I'm glad it was brought to my attention by being put on here. It provoked thought.
Re: A beautiful tale  [message #67075 is a reply to message #67074] Thu, 04 October 2012 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I ended up really upset at the two boys' stupidity. They made me angry. Outcomes like that make me feel helpless and angry. There is always a better way, always.

Re: A beautiful tale  [message #67076 is a reply to message #67075] Fri, 05 October 2012 00:21 Go to previous message

Likes it here

"Good" was indeed a poor choice of words on my behalf and was referring to the post in general rather than to the story and it's eventual outcome. This story seemed to me to be well produced, although a little too true-to-life. Instead of one suicide due to societal bullying, we have two. A "Romeo and Juliet" type of story as I have said, but one that could and has (in one form or another) actually happened in real life. I am very glad that the tides are slowly turning to a different paradigm, but they need to accelerate in order to avoid this type of tragedy. It is sad to think that these young people feel that there is no other solution and that this is the only way, either individually or together. I hope this clip doesn't give any ideas to any young people that watch it who may be in similar circumstances. The story itself is beautiful, the ending unfortunately tragic. The clip made me tear up a little, and I posted it to induce discussion and thoughts. I'm glad it was appreciated for what it was.

Peter

[Updated on: Fri, 05 October 2012 00:24]

Previous Topic: Same-sex Marriage
Next Topic: Kindle
Goto Forum: