A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I was recommended a book
I was recommended a book  [message #68471] Thu, 24 April 2014 10:45 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

At present I am seeing a counsellor, and he suggested a book to me because it deals with sexuality. One section he commended for my attention is 'Homoworld'. Indeed, we have often discussed reversing things to explain what it is like to be homosexual, by asking heterosexual people to consider living in a world where homosexuality is the norm and heterosexuality is the persecuted minority. I found the topic of interest.

There is a short film to go with it:

What do you think of it? If you feel the makers need to hear your comments, pop over to Youtube to leave a comment there, but leave one here too

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I was recommended a book  [message #68474 is a reply to message #68471] Sun, 27 April 2014 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camy is currently offline  Camy

Likes it here

I thought it was weak. The film was well made (acted, shot and edited), but the casting of the two main characters - on which the idea relied - was terrible. No spark or empathy between them at all. Why on earth were they in any sort of relationship escapes me.

Personally, I'd have written them as teenagers and obviously madly in love.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats." - Albert Schweitzer

It's like Mad Max out here: guys doing guys, girls doing girls, girls turning into guys and doing girls that used to do girls and guys!
- from Alex Truelove
Re: I was recommended a book  [message #68475 is a reply to message #68474] Sun, 27 April 2014 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Camy wrote on Sun, 27 April 2014 02:01I thought it was weak. The film was well made (acted, shot and edited), but the casting of the two main characters - on which the idea relied - was terrible. No spark or empathy between them at all. Why on earth were they in any sort of relationship escapes me.

Personally, I'd have written them as teenagers and obviously madly in love.

--
I thought less kindly of it than you. I saw awful acting, presumably caused by inexperienced and inexpert direction. The script is adequate, but flawed. However the script comes form a textbook for therapists, and had to be interpreted "as was."

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I was recommended a book  [message #68476 is a reply to message #68475] Tue, 29 April 2014 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

Was I supposed to feel bad for her or him in the end? Both of them?
I didn't, for either. He obviously needed someone who'd deal with it and be out, and she needed to find someone who wanted to keep it private. They didn't belong together at all.
There was no building of empathy for either of them in the initial stages, nothing to make me give a damn. They were dull and boring.
The entire thing was nearly painfully tedious.
I did appreciate the way the director tried to introduce the alternate world, but then he blew the cred by having the two women walking through a gay neighborhood that was apparently stuffed with sex shops and peep shows, obviously cut together from several areas as the sky and lighting was vastly different, to make it seem like this alternate world where homosexuality was the norm would be nothing but sex shops and peep shows.
On a 1 to 10 scale, 3 at best.
I'm rather disappointed that it's being used in any professional capacity.

raysstories.com
Re: I was recommended a book  [message #68477 is a reply to message #68476] Tue, 29 April 2014 06:47 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Smokr wrote on Tue, 29 April 2014 04:27Was I supposed to feel bad for her or him in the end? Both of them?
I didn't, for either. He obviously needed someone who'd deal with it and be out, and she needed to find someone who wanted to keep it private. They didn't belong together at all.
There was no building of empathy for either of them in the initial stages, nothing to make me give a damn. They were dull and boring.
The entire thing was nearly painfully tedious.
I did appreciate the way the director tried to introduce the alternate world, but then he blew the cred by having the two women walking through a gay neighborhood that was apparently stuffed with sex shops and peep shows, obviously cut together from several areas as the sky and lighting was vastly different, to make it seem like this alternate world where homosexuality was the norm would be nothing but sex shops and peep shows.
On a 1 to 10 scale, 3 at best.
I'm rather disappointed that it's being used in any professional capacity.

--
It seems important that comments like this go to Youtube as well, since this is their channel.

Previous Topic: A vendor suggests I be a better bottom
Next Topic: That Evil Little Voice in My Head
Goto Forum: