A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England
Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England  [message #76493] Thu, 23 January 2020 22:44 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England is of interest

I read past it. It seems to me to be about the perceived difference between a "Civil Partnership", a sort of mostly marriage, and a religious marriage. It seems to miss out on a "Civil Marriage" but I confess to  TL;DR

I have long wondered why gay men and women wish for a marriage, using that specific word. I can see every virtue in a contract which allows full partneship abd heredity benefits including hospital (etc) visiting rights. Even so my long held view is that the LGBT word doesn't need 'marriage'. It's always been a heterosexual term. It has always irked the religious who consider they invented it.

Why did 'we' choose to irk those who feel their religion is more important than even theor own lives?

I see this announcement as the CofE attempting to take back control of its own little fantasy world.

I also think "fuck 'em" for they are trying to control the world's genitals yet again. How interesting that they are unable to control their own priesthood's genitals. Obviously their god's purpose for the clergy is to abuse small boys

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England  [message #76496 is a reply to message #76493] Fri, 24 January 2020 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

"timmy wrote on Thu, 23 January 2020 14:44"
I have long wondered why gay men and women wish for a marriage, using that specific word. I can see every virtue in a contract which allows full partneship abd heredity benefits including hospital (etc) visiting rights. Even so my long held view is that the LGBT word doesn't need 'marriage'. It's always been a heterosexual term. It has always irked the religious who consider they invented it.

--
I can't speak for y'all in the UK but for us Yanks there are substantial legal and finandial benefits available for those couples who are married that even civil partnerships didn't make available in certain situations without some costly legal work, which was often ignored by those in power in hospitals, etc., if they didn't like the "gay lifestyle." Without marriage it becomes a patchwork of laws applicable in one place but not in others. The obvious answer was marriage which happened in 2015. For the most part that solved those issues.

Yes, it pisses off the godly people, and even with marriage and all the benefits it brings to LGBT+ individuals in this country there is still a patchwork of discrimnatory laws in place that allow gay people to be fired from their jobs, denied services, etc., depending on location. 

Bottom line? Christians are assholes. No doubt about it.

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England  [message #76501 is a reply to message #76493] Mon, 27 January 2020 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

There a couple of pragmatic reasons why "marriage", as opposed to Civil Partnership, is important to many gay men and lesbians.

1) CP's are not widely recognised internationally as conferring the same rights as marriage - one could be CP'd, visitng a country which has equal marriage, but be denied recognition as a spouse (which might matter a lot in case of accident or illness).

2) "Separate but equal" has been tried in a variety of contexts, and it just simply don't damn work. Many of us just don't fancy sticking our heads into that trap.

For some religious types, there's also the issue of the "sacramental" nature of marriage, and they therefore wish for a Church marriage. Several denominations here in the UK are happy to oblige -Unitarians and Quakers among them.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England  [message #76504 is a reply to message #76501] Tue, 28 January 2020 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Just saw this article here in the US. It seemed apropos to the topic under discussion. Doing this post on my phone which is not particularly conducive to doing anything beyond entering text on this particular interface so you may have to copy and past the link in order for it to work. 

https://www.queerty.com/legalizing-sex-marriage-leads-big-dr op-gay-suicide-rate-20191114?utm_source=The+Goodnewsletter&a mp;utm_campaign=39b7b3195f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_11_24_01_35&a mp;utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b0e357ccff-39b7b3195f-105 228251&goal=0_b0e357ccff-39b7b3195f-105228251&mc_cid =39b7b3195f&mc_eid=65129afbdc

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England  [message #76513 is a reply to message #76504] Wed, 29 January 2020 21:10 Go to previous message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

Teddy;

Very interesting study, with consoling data, that's for sure. In parallel with the C of E article Timmy posted, and the ones I referenced a few months back about southern states passing laws outlawing abortion, and starting to work on laws to roll back gay marriage, there's now a third prong on the culture wars strategy, thanks to Betsy Devoss. That's funding voucher programs for Christian schools and then using the ruse of being able to discriminate if it is consistent with their belief system (thank you conservative Supreme Court!) then discriminate against gay students and their parents.

It's now running rampant in Florida, as recently reported in the Orlando Sentinel, and will soon be coming to a local government near you if the conservatives are in charge.

Friday night Eric Erickson, conservative talk radio host (who's just a tad saner than Rush Limbaugh) was asked about Trump speaking at last week's Right to Life rally, and affirmed that he was playing to the conservative/evangelical base, but then made a Freudian slip when the talked about the politics of it, describing the necessary political position as being pro life and in support of traditional marriage.

Pro life. Traditional Marriage. The legal right to discriminate based on religious belief!

What a potentially potent unholy Trinity that is! 

Bensiamin
Previous Topic: Rapist jailed
Next Topic: The Gay Fiction Library
Goto Forum: