A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > "I can't be gay. I hate going shopping" - Discuss!
"I can't be gay. I hate going shopping" - Discuss!  [message #15552] Sat, 27 September 2003 17:38 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

10 am until 4:30 pm today.

YUCK

And we failed.

I have always hated shopping. Ah well.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: "I can't be gay. I hate going shopping" - Discuss!  [message #15557 is a reply to message #15552] Sat, 27 September 2003 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yourbestgayfriend is currently offline  yourbestgayfriend

Likes it here

Oh Timmy... It's ok... I used to hate it too... and only now after years of shopping am I getting to like it a little....

When I go, I only go until I get tired of it and then leave. It also helps going with a friend (hopefully one that helps you enjoy yourself and respects your time tolerance !!!), who has the same tastes.

Still, if you never ever enjoy shopping... you will always be wonderfully gay... :-* :-*

Bam Bam

Celebrate your life... embrace your love... Become intimate with your place in forever !!!
Re: "I can't be gay. I hate going shopping" - Discuss!  [message #15573 is a reply to message #15552] Sun, 28 September 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Well I have had a theory about this topic for a long time, but like any stereotype, it really doesn't hold up all the time. Someone asked me about that years ago and I said "Women shop, men buy". I know that isn't exactly true since I know women that hate shopping and men that love to shop. But I said it anyway.

I hope that isn't to chauvinistic for my female friends. Or anyone else for that matter.

I told my friend the other day after he (he is straight by the way) commented about a very effeminate man walking by "God I wish I could be more gay". He looked at me like I was from Mars. Then he said, "If you were like him Kevin, we wouldn't be hanging out". That made me sad a little bit. I really do wish that sometimes. Then I wold not have to explain my sexuality to anyone. They would already know.

Silly huh?

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
icon6.gif From the resident clothes horse  [message #15574 is a reply to message #15552] Sun, 28 September 2003 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toms is currently offline  toms

Likes it here

Hehe, Timmy, I have to disagree. I love shopping. Well, with one exception. If I'm shopping by myself or with friends, it's great. However, I hate shopping with my parents. They usually drag me to stores that they want to go to and I usually miss out on my favorite stores. And then they go to buy stuff for the house or something and it just gets downright boring. But other than that, it's like a rush for me. Smile

It may sound cliche and stereotypical, but I love shopping for clothes. And I'm fairly new at it too; I really didn't become addicted up til like 2 years ago. There's just something about fashion that I love. My friends have classified certain styles as "Tom shirts", usually the trendy rugby style with collars and numbers. I'm more into the preppy style -- American Eagle, Aeropostale, Hollister, Gap (American clothing makers, save for Gap, which I think is everywhere...). I don't even think all my clothes fit in my dresser drawers. Time to get a new dresser, I suppose... ::-)

-Tom Wink

"Whatever is sought for can be caught, you know,
whatever is neglected slips away."
Oedipus Rex, lines 126-127
icon7.gif By the way ...  [message #15576 is a reply to message #15573] Sun, 28 September 2003 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

If they have classes on how to be gay, do you think I could take a shopping class?

hehe just had to ask. ::-)

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: From the resident clothes horse  [message #15578 is a reply to message #15574] Sun, 28 September 2003 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

Man is a far more dedicated shopper than me...I'm like, "Hey, this one's ok, let's just get it and go..." He's more, "No! Three more places to try, and maybe there'll be better styles and prices over here or down there..."

We have much better and cheaper stuff thanks to him...

You should have seen him shopping for new sneakers (trainers) last week...20 pairs tried on in several places, but eventually he ended up with just the most PERFECT ones.

And Tom, you and Man must be twins about your clothes...he has so many, he has 2 big wardrobes...one for "current" and one for "maybe later, old but not completely hopeless, and I used to love them" type stuff...I call it his clothes museum.

Hey Kevin! They DO have shopping classes in NYC...as well as professional shoppers...for a fee!Razz

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
Re: "I can't be gay. I hate going shopping" - Discuss!  [message #15587 is a reply to message #15552] Sun, 28 September 2003 12:35 Go to previous message
thirdfencepost is currently offline  thirdfencepost

Really getting into it

Shopping is ok... I dunno I don't like to buy new clothes and I hate to spend my own money. Shopping with friends is ok cuz you go to stores you would never ever buy stuff at try on islly outfiyts youd never wear and laugh about it. Usually I am the only one who leaves without a shopping bag Smile Everyoen got mad we went back to school shopping like a who;le group of us., and I got a t shirt Smile Everyone else had like bags of pants and stuff Smile Besides that I am not really fond of shopping. BUt it could be much worse.

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
Previous Topic: New behavioral rules in place .......
Next Topic: death of a forum
Goto Forum: