A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Sorry for being so off topic...
Sorry for being so off topic...  [message #15879] Fri, 03 October 2003 09:08 Go to next message
ch.oo.lo is currently offline  ch.oo.lo

Toe is in the water

You know how a lot of studies have shown that minorities generally do worse in school? In all countries this happens, but I can't remember why exactly. In America it may be because a lot of the minorities live in the inner city and don't have access to the same things that the suburban ones do. That makes sense, right? So, you would think that a kid who had grown up in white neighborhoods would do better than a kid who had moved from the city to one, right?...or does that not make sense?

In the city I live in, there are a lot of Chaldean (Catholic northern Iraqis) people. There are more Chaldeans at my school, than there are black people. The great majority of them speak English and have lived in an upper-middle class area. My question is why do they not do well in school?

I think at my school there are about 1700 people, maybe 100 are black. I honestly don't know whether any of them have lived in Detroit, but my guess would be no. Why do /they/ not do well in school?

I guess if you look carefully at the 2 groups you could see some similarities: 1) they both like to talk, a lot; 2) they're both fairly aggressive; 3) they're both loud (combination of 1 and 2); 4) they're very social; 5) they don't care about their grades. There are probably more than that, but I can't really think of any.

I know, I know, these are HUGE generalizations and a few are most likely innaccurate (if they are, just tell me). I was just thinking about this on the bus a few days ago and couldn't think of an answer to my question, so I thought I'd come ask you guys.

-Ch.Oo.Lo
icon6.gif Re: Sorry for being so off topic...  [message #15884 is a reply to message #15879] Fri, 03 October 2003 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dartagnon is currently offline  dartagnon

Likes it here

Maybe it's just a difference in culture. There are studies out there that show that there is no corelational link between differnt ethnic groups and intelligence. Oh sure, kids in Japan might have higher test scores in math and sciences, and kids in Europe may grow up speaking four languages and such, but it's not because of any genetic preclivity throught a population. I guess you should look at home values, the amount of emphasis placed on education, life styles, living conditions and general local attitudes.

Then again, just might be too much talking and not enough listening in class. My grades stank in school, mostly because I was a talker. Well, that and the fact that after changing highschools three times in one year kinda made me just say "screw it" and I didn't study like I should have. But that's a different story.

It's not the wolf you see you should fear, but all the ones he howls with. Don't be afraid of the song, but don't piss off the choir.
Re: Sorry for being so off topic...  [message #15912 is a reply to message #15879] Fri, 03 October 2003 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Acording to the data I have seen both locally and nationally, test scores are greatly infuenced by socioeconomic factors much more than race. Average houshold income, percentage of single parent housholds, and percentage of families in poverty all can be used to predict within 5 percentage points the average test scores in a community.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
icon6.gif Re: Sorry for being so off topic...  [message #15915 is a reply to message #15912] Fri, 03 October 2003 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dartagnon is currently offline  dartagnon

Likes it here

Wow, Kevvy....that's some deep stuff there, man. I don't know whether to applaud the fact that it can actually be calculated that way or frightened because of how accurate it sounds like it is. You'd have thought that with a culture and society so supposedly advanced as ours we'd have found ways out of the traps that lead to poor schooling long ago.

Guess just becaus you can lead a horse to water.......

It's not the wolf you see you should fear, but all the ones he howls with. Don't be afraid of the song, but don't piss off the choir.
Again generalisations  [message #15917 is a reply to message #15879] Fri, 03 October 2003 18:50 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

The challenge with thsi is that anything one says may appear racist. Ah well.

I have a UK perspective only. And this is a generalisation.
  1. White races: Considered to be "the norm", but with a huge range of all grades of intelligence, work ethic, success and failure.
  2. Jewish variants on white races: hard working, tend to fill "the professions", otherwise similar range to (1) above. Seen as law abiding.
  3. Chinese and similar races: Similar attributes to (1), not to (2). Split into law abiding and "triad" in ppopular culture.
  4. Indians and Pakistanis: Lumped into one population by the white races here. Seen as shopkeepers and doctors. In general hard working and aloof. Similar characteristics to (2) but easily spotted as "different"
  5. Black races: These differ depending on source
    • African. Seen as devious, ruthless
    • West Indian: Seen as lazy and unintelligent.
    • USA: Seen as brighter and more intelligent
    Even so the peoples originating in Africa are seen as being the least productive members of our society.Now, as for achievement, any child will achieve most effectively if the parents and teachers have a high expectation. Even if parents expect a great deal, a biased teacher can ruin a bright child's perfromance.

This means that the achievement levels for all but the most determined "average black kid" in the UK are set by those who expect them to underachieve.

There are, as we know, very stupid and very brilliant examples of the 5 racial groupings I've illustrated.

Intelligence is a different matter. A white European may excell at IQ tests. An Australian Aboriginal may excel at maps, locations and memory. Neoither is better, more intelligent, than the other. Simply put their genetic material differs to make best use of the skills that are of most use to them in life.

Interestingly Prof Hans Eysenck, the "father of IQ tests" was pilloried in the early seventies because his theories seemed to espouse eugenics among other things.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Where does help go? and to who?
Next Topic: Howdy!
Goto Forum: