A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand
Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16701] Sun, 19 October 2003 19:50 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

On Thursday this week the last ever Concorde flight happens.

I'm just sad is all. It overflies my house every day. And is about to go. Last noght and tonight I went to Heathrow to stadn under it as it took off. 4 metre afterburner trails and a sound like a major pop concert. Crowds were there to see it. Traffic stops when it takes off.

There is only one aircraft in the world that people look at and say "There's Concorde". Not "There's a Concorde". As though each is a unique ambassador for the name.

I remember its first flight and I hate seeing it's last.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16702 is a reply to message #16701] Sun, 19 October 2003 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

It is sad, I can see...
It was part of life in Britain for so long, it's almost like losing an old friend. Maybe something new will come around, something better... But until then, the Golden Age of air-travel seems to be over.

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
icon6.gif Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16704 is a reply to message #16701] Sun, 19 October 2003 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robert bryce is currently offline  robert bryce

Really getting into it

Just give us a little time and us yanks will show europe how its done...hehehe......rob;-D ;-D ;-D
icon12.gif Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16705 is a reply to message #16704] Sun, 19 October 2003 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Or maybe, we Europeans will come up on top again. Wink
Remember... I'm still from Europe. :-*

icon6.gif Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16708 is a reply to message #16705] Sun, 19 October 2003 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

only if us yanks show you guys how--after all,WE did invent sex you know...rob....;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
Boeing managed to get as far as wooden models  [message #16709 is a reply to message #16704] Sun, 19 October 2003 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Like I said, maybe it takes an Englishman to understand.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon6.gif Really....?  [message #16711 is a reply to message #16708] Sun, 19 October 2003 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

If the Yanks invented sex, then why were we Europeans doing it for thousands of years before you? Razz

icon6.gif Re: Really....?  [message #16713 is a reply to message #16711] Sun, 19 October 2003 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

ages ago,before all the smart people left for the promised land(north America)It was the smart ones that invented sex..After doing so,they then left leaving backward Europe to fend as best they could....hehehe;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
icon6.gif Re: Being managed to get as far as wooden models  [message #16714 is a reply to message #16709] Sun, 19 October 2003 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

It was the yanks that invented iron ships powered by yank steam....rob:-P
icon6.gif Re: Being managed to get as far as wooden models  [message #16715 is a reply to message #16714] Sun, 19 October 2003 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

please note the spelling correction and the subtle hint (being managed)..Us yanks excell in the managing department for our lesser gifted neighbors...Sad) Sad) Sad) Sad) Sad)
Now let me see  [message #16716 is a reply to message #16714] Sun, 19 October 2003 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Brunel, Newcomen, Watt, Trevithic, Telford, Abram Darby. None of thease are noted for being US Citizens.

While we are about it, Television, Telephone, The Hovercraft, The first plans for a supersonic plane we sold to the USA. Rail travel. The longbow in its most powerful form, the first and only viable SST. Granted you launched a manhole cover into space a full 2 years before the sputnik, but no-one could ever prove that.

Then what about Turing, without whose work we would not be able to do this today?

Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16718 is a reply to message #16701] Mon, 20 October 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

Maybe others do understand and will miss it as well, maybe it takes more than just an 'englishman' to understand, maybe it just takes another person.
Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16720 is a reply to message #16718] Mon, 20 October 2003 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You are probably right Smile

Ja ja  [message #16721 is a reply to message #16713] Mon, 20 October 2003 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Yeah, maybe all the smart people did leave for Canada.
Razz

Re: Being managed to get as far as wooden models  [message #16722 is a reply to message #16715] Mon, 20 October 2003 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Or are they trying to manage you? Razz

Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16724 is a reply to message #16701] Mon, 20 October 2003 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

wonder why you think I wouldn't understand?

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
icon6.gif Re: Now let me see  [message #16728 is a reply to message #16716] Mon, 20 October 2003 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Most likely inspired by yanks were these people......hehehe......rob:-P
icon6.gif Re: Ja ja  [message #16729 is a reply to message #16721] Mon, 20 October 2003 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Canada--the 51th US state the last I heard.........rob....Cool
Re: Ja ja  [message #16730 is a reply to message #16729] Mon, 20 October 2003 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Oh, wouldn't that be interesting? The United States having to recognise French as a national language, and every single thing being written in both French and English. he he he he he he, by the way, it's "51st".
A bientôt, mon ami. Wink

Re: Now let me see  [message #16731 is a reply to message #16728] Mon, 20 October 2003 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Yes, in what not to do.

Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16732 is a reply to message #16724] Mon, 20 October 2003 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Well, coz, in an odd way, and totally ignoring the French, without whose money and steadfastness when Harod Wilson wanted to cancel the project it woudl have remained a glorious dream, it is a totally English kind of project.

It has all the peculiar things to make it beloved by the Englishman. And it was all the other nations in the world that tried to kill it off. The USA tried very hard indeed to.

The final death knell was Osama bin Liner. He killed 41 of its regular passengers in the WTC. That made it totally uneconomical. The pre-commercial killer was the 747, which turned air travel into lower cost (low comfort) mass transportation.

Adding the fuel crisis in the seventies to this meant that it has always been a great and glorious white elephant. But a very beautiful and awe inspiring one.

icon6.gif Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16733 is a reply to message #16732] Mon, 20 October 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

;-D ;-D ..Absolutely I agree--We can ignore the French.Of course it WAS yank inginuity that made air travel cheap..Gawd aint we yanks great!!..rob ;-D ;-D ;-D
icon9.gif Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16734 is a reply to message #16733] Mon, 20 October 2003 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Oh for chrissake give it up.

Everything has to be "the USA is bigger and better" doesn't it. OK, you're right. You got bigger and better in every fundamental respect.

icon9.gif I maybe only 1/8th Englishman, but.....  [message #16735 is a reply to message #16701] Mon, 20 October 2003 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dartagnon is currently offline  dartagnon

Likes it here

I totally understand the loss of Concorde. Those aircraft were powerful and graceful and beautiful.....and wicked fast.

I'm a lifelong fan of aviation. Growing up on Naval Air Bases, you practically get bottle fed on JP4 and rocked to sleep with jet engines screaming through the night. I was particularly fond of the SR-71 Blackbird. Sure, it was a spy plane, but damn, what a sexy plane. All sleek lines, curves and power; long, dark and handsome, LOL.

The end of Concorde's reign in the sky as the fastest airliner is a sad day. We'd like to believe that we move forwards as a society, technologically. By the turn of the century, my parents were certain we'd be flying around like the Jetsons. Now we're lucky if we can travel as well as the Simpsons. ::-)

At any rate, we all mourn the final flight of a truely legendary aircraft, Timmy. That and the passing of an era. May we live to see it's offspring grace the skies as well.

It's not the wolf you see you should fear, but all the ones he howls with. Don't be afraid of the song, but don't piss off the choir.
icon6.gif Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16736 is a reply to message #16734] Mon, 20 October 2003 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

just pulling your string Timmy and having a bit of fun,sure beats eating those cookies i tried to bake in the microwave.......rob...Wink
icon9.gif It doesn't necessarily take an Englishman to understand  [message #16739 is a reply to message #16701] Mon, 20 October 2003 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yourbestgayfriend is currently offline  yourbestgayfriend

Likes it here

I live in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA. I mention that because every year we have the Experimental Aircraft Association Fly In, the largest in the world. This past summer the USSR had their HUGE... i mean HUGE HUGE HUGE airplane here to drop off 3 display airplanes for the show. There are World War 1 and World War 2 airplanes here, all vintages, all sizes, you name it....

Now why did I drone on about all that???? Well, for several years the UK provided the Concorde to be here for at least a part of the show. I went and saw it every year, and would stare at that magnificent sleek and beautifully spectacular example of aviation engineering. I was never fortunate to ride on the plane, as it was just out of my price range to do so (approximately $600 US for a 20 minute ride). I always held out hope, but it just didn't happen.

In my heart, I am with you Timmy. I will miss it just knowing it doesn't fly anymore... another chapter in history closes... with (hopefully) another one opening !!!!!

Love and Peace, Timmy. Aviation continues on, and will give us another magnificent plane. Just be patient.

BamBam:-)

Celebrate your life... embrace your love... Become intimate with your place in forever !!!
Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16740 is a reply to message #16734] Mon, 20 October 2003 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

If I may? The USA may 'think' they are bigger and better in every respect but in reality there is one place where Britain and Canada excels -- the treatement of its citizens! Being bigger and better doesn't always necessarily mean better Wink Size doesn't always matter Very Happy
Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16741 is a reply to message #16740] Mon, 20 October 2003 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Well if you think about it, in shear land-mass Canada far eclipses the US. Wink

Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16744 is a reply to message #16741] Mon, 20 October 2003 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

And how often do you hear the Canadians brag about it? Or say to the US "we're bigger than you are?" Wink
icon6.gif Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16745 is a reply to message #16740] Mon, 20 October 2003 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

;-D ;-D ;-D Speaking of size,methinks we got some size queens here ;-D ;-D just kidding of course--u guys can now unbunch your pantys...rob has had his fun teasing his poor neighbors hehehe;-D ;-D ;-D Sad) Sad) Sad) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy rob:-P
Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16747 is a reply to message #16732] Mon, 20 October 2003 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

That doesn't mean I don't get it, just that alot of silly Americans don't. And believe me I think we have the market cornered on silly, uncaring, selfish people.

That being said, not ALL of us are right wing idiots. Just more than I am comfortable with.

Happy day to all,

Kevin

icon7.gif Thanks Kanga  [message #16748 is a reply to message #16740] Mon, 20 October 2003 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I will defect to Canada if Bush wins next year!!!!!

Peace to all,

Kevin

icon6.gif Re: Maybe it takes an Englishman to understand  [message #16749 is a reply to message #16747] Mon, 20 October 2003 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Kevin you little sweetheart,Im gonna bury you in cliffhangers if you dont lighten up..rob is pulling all youse guys strings so chill...Get off that hi-horse and understand that we are kidding..!..Take a good look at whats been happening over the last week..The best ever,and we can even tease Timmy.What an awesome thing that man has done!Better than any adoption agency or other,The man has brought us all closer,and that is a good thing..

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Re: Thanks Kanga  [message #16755 is a reply to message #16748] Mon, 20 October 2003 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

If Bush wins next year, I'll go to Britain.

Kevin,  [message #16761 is a reply to message #16747] Tue, 21 October 2003 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve

Really getting into it

My country is definitely great! Sometimes it is awesomely great and sometimes it is a great idiot. (Maybe I should have said that my country is always great; my government is almost always a great idiot.)

I am a patriot – 'moderation in all things', as the Greeks used to say. The Greeks???? Hey! Weren't they Europeans? Hmmmmmmmm.

Sad)

Rob ....  [message #16764 is a reply to message #16749] Tue, 21 October 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

It's great that you were kidding, but I wasn't. I don't like the war mongers in the white house that don't seem to care about the men and women dying for his war for oil and votes. Many in my country are actually buying this junk and believe he is doing this for their interest. Nothing could be further from the truth. He sees anyone that is not sickeningly wealthy to be maids and butlers. He figures if he has more money he can hire more sevants. I DO NOT SHARE THAT VIEW. Sorry.

Peacnick at larg,

Kevin

icon7.gif Thanks Steve ....  [message #16765 is a reply to message #16761] Tue, 21 October 2003 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

If Canada doesn't take me can I ask for asylum there?

Re: Thanks Steve ....  [message #16771 is a reply to message #16765] Tue, 21 October 2003 12:42 Go to previous message
misplaced is currently offline  misplaced

Really getting into it

oh kevin, if you go please take me with you! i will live above or below you wherever, and share ALL the bills and throw you parties or stay superbly out of your way, depending on situation and mood, hehehe.

i want to live in canada SO so badly. for many of the reasons of just .. more leniency, their healthcare system is a BIG reason since the US one seems to like dicking me and my daughter over continually.

and i just have to be a part of that place. it's called to me since i was little, and we went there for the first time ever by train when i was in 3rd grade. Smile

my void does not want.

Previous Topic: Frustrated
Next Topic: Midday wierdness...
Goto Forum: