A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Standardized Tests
Standardized Tests  [message #16778] Tue, 21 October 2003 19:15 Go to next message
thirdfencepost is currently offline  thirdfencepost

Really getting into it

I hat standardized test. All 10th and 11th graders had to take the PSATS today and they blew. I mean I havnet even gotten my results back yet and I can tell you that it is going to show that I am far better in math then I am in English. That is such bull shit it is just that the math section was pretty easy. The english part was nearly impossible. They go out of there way to word every question using unnecessarioly big words and it makes it very hard. SO even if you understood what you read there is a good chance that you wont understand the multiple choice answers. As was the case for me many times... Ah well Nothing I can do about it I guess. I will get the scores in December sometime I believe...
Andy

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
Hmmm...  [message #16780 is a reply to message #16778] Tue, 21 October 2003 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
machelli is currently offline  machelli

Likes it here

No Message Body

viðrar vel til loftárása
Re: Standardized Tests  [message #16784 is a reply to message #16778] Tue, 21 October 2003 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M is currently offline  M

Likes it here

I took them today and i agree with you all the way. They make it seem to impossible to answer. But like you said , we will never know until december.

You don't love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.
icon8.gif Re: Standardized Tests  [message #16788 is a reply to message #16784] Wed, 22 October 2003 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

I am totally opposed to the current standardized tests and the "No 'rich' child left behind".

After a review of standardized test accross the country, I come to the undeniable conclusion that these tests dispropotionately disenfranchises poor and minority kids at an alarming rate. A thorough study by a professor at Eastern Michigan University showed that by using the average houshold income, percentage of single parent families, and percentage of families in poverty, one could predict within 5 percentage points (actually he was within 3 points most times) the average test score for any school district. Also, each state has developed it's own test.

But worst of all is that this policy was developed by Ron Paige the Secretary of Education. He used to be the head of the Houston school district and was credited with a "miracle" by raising test scores and lowering the dropout rate. This was all false.

Recent investigations have uncovered how the "pressure" put on the school district, what the administration calls accountability, caused almost all principles in Houston to falsify records to make things seem rosey. Studnts that dropped out were listed as transferred to schools the students had never heard of. And students that were deemed to be at risk of failing the test were reclassified as "special needs" disqualifying them from taking the test, and at the same time destroying their chance at a normal college education. They would be removed from the college prep courses they had to assume the "special needs" status.

In my state, a grant of $2,500.00 is given to the students that do well on the test. The end result of that is that the children for the most affluent families are usually the one to get the money. Take from the poor and give to the rich.

Sorry but it simply makes me ill that we are letting the president get away with this.

Thanks for letting me rant,

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: Standardized Tests  [message #16792 is a reply to message #16778] Wed, 22 October 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

Yeah, Standardised tests suck. I spent 9 years doing them.
Last year, I bubbled in the math-section, and received a record high!
LOL. They don't require it for seniors though, so I can get to school late.

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
Re: Standardized Tests  [message #16825 is a reply to message #16778] Thu, 23 October 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve

Really getting into it

Andy, commiserations.

I take it that by 'standardized tests' you mean tests consisting of questions with multiple choice responses.

In my country this kind of question has been prohibited in public examinations in the school system. Teachers here call them "American questions".

Wait patiently till December: it may not be as bad as you fear.
Re: Standardized Tests  [message #16826 is a reply to message #16778] Thu, 23 October 2003 03:54 Go to previous message
misplaced is currently offline  misplaced

Really getting into it

what's weird is that i never took those in high school. i was planning on going to the community college (MCC) and they didn't require the SATs and all that.

i thought that was all awesome and everything, while all my friends lost sleep and sanity over the things. turns out i had to take them this summer, or an equivalency basically, because this private college requires it. ahhhh! my entrance tests to MCC helped for part of that, but i still had to take other ones. super lame. i always, ALWAYS hated when wordings were twisted every way to sunday, from what it was i studied and memorised and all that.

i hope it came out good for you though. tests and exams are such scary things. the pressure alone is enough to knock a grade down we'd normally do great on otherwise. keep your chin up, andy!!

my void does not want.

Previous Topic: suddenly so much warmer...
Next Topic: Is it hard...?
Goto Forum: