A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Is it so hard ......?
icon5.gif Is it so hard ......?  [message #16827] Thu, 23 October 2003 07:06 Go to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Is it so difficult for people to live with each other. It totally escapes me that we cannot seem to live in the same world with each other.

Two men serve God all their lives, but because they don't worship the same way, they hate each other?

Gay, straight, Jew, Gentile, black, white, rich, poor, yellow, purple, man, woman, why the heck does it matter?

It really does baffle me. Somewhere in my overly logical pea sized brain, I cannot come to any reason that makes sense why we treat each other with anything but love. We kill over land, God, money, and power. Why?

If their is a chance for us, I have to believe we can get past this one day. Is it possible we can be better than this? Do we have hope?

Some of us here have taken brave steps, steps to be who we are. To be honest about who we are. I think that is one step to being better on the whole. It is by no means enough, but it's a step. We have all heard the "I Have a Dream" speech on tapes or in person. I think we can be that brave. I think some of us are that brave. It's a good thing to remember the people that have gone before us to make this world a better place. If, for no other reason than to follow in their footsteps.

Take a step today and be nice to someone.

Maybe even go out on a limb and be nice to two people today.

It gave me my first smile today imagining just a few of you actually doing it.

Thanks,

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
icon6.gif Re: Is it so hard ......?  [message #16828 is a reply to message #16827] Thu, 23 October 2003 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robert bryce is currently offline  robert bryce

Really getting into it

You unwittingly have answered your own questions by your rather mature parting statement-(party on dudes).At least count there are two members of this board that have lost soul-mates because of violence.One young man had his skull crushed with a pipe,and another friend splattered his brains in his parents bedroom with a gun..That young man was MY friend Jim.So lets see now..At least four lives shattered not counting the devistation caused to family and other friends..Yea dudes,lets party on!!!!!..YOU are certainly entitled to your opinion,but you damn sure aint entitled to my respect..The unwillingness to stand up for decent rights and the unwillingness TO LAY IT ON THE LINE is not a vertue it is something else that leaves a bad taste......rob>Sad >Sad >Sad
Re: Is it so hard ......?  [message #16829 is a reply to message #16827] Thu, 23 October 2003 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ch.oo.lo is currently offline  ch.oo.lo

Toe is in the water

People don't kill for land, money or God. They kill for power. Land=Power. Money=Power. God=an excuse get power. People want power, they always have. A long time ago, getting more land meant getting more people to fight your wars, money meant more supplies, and God was still a justification.

There's more... but I have to go to school now Razz :-[

-Jeanne
Re: Is it so hard ......?  [message #16830 is a reply to message #16827] Thu, 23 October 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
misplaced is currently offline  misplaced

Really getting into it

it seems like it should be so simple, doesn't it? when you break it down to the very core, none of it seems nearly as complicated as people like to make it. for the life of me, i can't find any reason as to why people are so hateful and intolerant, either.

so i'll take your step. Smile perhaps i'll even be nice to three.

my void does not want.

What the heck .......?  [message #16831 is a reply to message #16828] Thu, 23 October 2003 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Does my post have to do with your lack of respect for me, or your view that I am unwilling "TO LAY IT ON THE LINE" as you put it?

I am at a loss to understand what you mean besides disrespect.

And you know what, that's OK too. I did not ask for your respect, nor do I require it.

Have a nice day,

Kevin

Who????? Who are we talking about here????  [message #16832 is a reply to message #16830] Thu, 23 October 2003 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

No Message Body

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Who????? Who are we talking about here????  [message #16833 is a reply to message #16832] Thu, 23 October 2003 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I wasn't talking about any one person in particular. Not untill I responded to Rob's rather nasty reply.

That said, what led you to believe that I was talking about someone in particular?

Just curious,

Kevin

Curious..... Interesting way to put it.....  [message #16834 is a reply to message #16833] Thu, 23 October 2003 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

In your opening line you erfer to "people living with each other".... This implies social proximity.

The next line is talking about "two men"..... This implies to me that they are aquainted with each other somehow.

Then in your closing paragraph.... "some of us".... Who are "us"

Then in the last you distill all that came before into the boy scout slogan.

To be aware of situations and strife is good. To become overly sensitive to the troubles in the world is bringing stress of an unresolvable nature upon yourself. Try scalling things down to a more intimate level and then make a stand. Make a difference.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Is it so hard ......?  [message #16835 is a reply to message #16828] Thu, 23 October 2003 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

i'm sorry, but from where i stand (or sit) there was no disrespect in kevin's post. he's reaching for people to have more understanding and tolerance so that it can be spread, so that violent acts don't HAPPEN again. i'm kind of floored, here ... but i suppose i'll stay out of it, aside from my two cents here. Sad

my void does not want.

icon7.gif Thanks, I do try, but........  [message #16836 is a reply to message #16834] Thu, 23 October 2003 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

the phrases you refer to are intended to illustrate general relationships between people of this world, not directed at any one individual.

I find it curious that two of you feel I am not specific enough for your taste or that I am not taking a stand. I think I just did?

I stand by my words, agree or not it's up to you.

BTW, I was only a boy scout for one week a long time ago.

Love your fellow man,

Kevin

Re: Is it so hard ......?  [message #16837 is a reply to message #16827] Thu, 23 October 2003 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

You do have a valid point.
People would fight, to fight. It was seemingly this competetive hierarchy for thousands of years. When in the modern era, due to population and significant social-change empires began to crumble, so now we are left with many more countries, and many more people. But I think that this hierarchial instinct is so implanted in our genes that we still try to prove how much BETTER we are than each other, and as long as we are in control, we struggle to remain in control. That is why I htink that it was so hard to get equal rights for Asians, African-Americans, Latinos, usw. And to-day, I think that the gay/lesbian/transgender community has such a hard time to-day, mainly because there is this old order, especially in the United States, where Fundamentalist Christians still have a lot of control, and don't intend to let any of it go.
Okey, I'm off the soap box.

Note- the previous are merely my not so humble opinions.

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
Re: Thanks, I do try, but........  [message #16838 is a reply to message #16836] Thu, 23 October 2003 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

I resent the implication that my sentiments are in league with anyone other than myself.

To stand by something is a far cry from standing up for it.

And to walk the world, thinking that blowing kisses everywhere will make things better is delusional at best.

Just my opinion.
Marc

Harsh.........  [message #16839 is a reply to message #16828] Thu, 23 October 2003 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

The first part of Kevin's sig says "Be excellent to each other" and that's what he was trying to say. I suppose we could all walk around like we were already in hell and waiting for the axe to fall or we can "Party On". I choose to try to get past the things that happened in my life to make me hurt and see a brighter tomorrow.......so if that means I smile and do good stuff, try new things, be kind to people, then by all means:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Party On,Dudes 8-)}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Oh, and respect is a 2 way street......You gotta give some to get some
icon7.gif Yeah, it's hard, Kev.......  [message #16840 is a reply to message #16827] Thu, 23 October 2003 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

You started out encompassing the entire world. I, as one tiny person, can't do much about that. But when you zero in on being nice to one person or two people today; that's doable. The problem is that so many people don't give a rip about being nice to anyone unless they get something out of it. How do we as individuals change anything except what is directly around us?

Genuine acts of kindness with no payback or recognition are rare......is that what you're talking about? Haha, Marc. I had to laugh at the picture of us walking around blowing kisses right and left. That would be so um.....gay. I think Kevin wants so much for the world to be spinning correctly on its axis and his frustration makes him well..............frustrated. It's a feeling we all get and then try to figure out what's doable.

{{{hugs}}} to anyone who needs one today ~ smith J
Re: Yeah, it's hard, Kev.......  [message #16841 is a reply to message #16840] Thu, 23 October 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

This is exactly what I mean.... Why does the concept need to be global in scope when we as individuals have none of the resources needed to alter that situation????

On the other hand, How do we as individuals go about "helping" people?

Who do we choose to help and who do we overlook?

Helping an old lady across the busy street might be a way, but chances are that she would have a stroke thinking she is being robbed.

So how do we help? What should we do??

I know fully well what you are getting at Kevin. I keep abrest of what goes on in the world. However, it serves no practicle porpose to get upset over things we can not control. Working to make our little corner of the world a better place is something we all do in our own small way.

So if we are all doing our tiny bit to make things better, what else should we be doing??

Why is it not enough??

smith, you're awesome.  [message #16842 is a reply to message #16839] Thu, 23 October 2003 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

the song 'remedy' by jason mraz always reminds me of you, and now is no exception. especially the lyrics:

i say the tragedy is how you're gonna spend
the rest of your nights with the light on
so shine the light on all of your friends
because it all amounts to nothing in the end.

and!

...there's no need to hurry when i'm making up my mind,
you can turn off the sun, but i'm still gonna shine,
and i'll tell you why--
because the remedy, is the experience...

keep shining positive. i think at one core, that's all kevin was trying to say. it'll spread, and it'll remedy, eventually. IF people let it...

my void does not want.

icon6.gif Party on dudes!!!!!!!!!!!  [message #16845 is a reply to message #16836] Thu, 23 October 2003 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robert bryce is currently offline  robert bryce

Really getting into it

Rob was just having a bad rob day guy so I will try to lighten up a bit...Although us anti-druggies really hate that expression...rob Wink
Re: Yeah, it's hard, Kev.......  [message #16850 is a reply to message #16840] Thu, 23 October 2003 18:57 Go to previous message
ch.oo.lo is currently offline  ch.oo.lo

Toe is in the water

I don't think that "genuine acts of kindness with no payback or recognition" even exist. Why? When doing something nice for someone you don't know, such as holding the door open, you are not expecting that person to do the same for you (unless there is another one right in front of the first one), but think about how you would feel if you just let the door shut on them. Most people would feel bad. By holding the door open, you are not only doing something nice for someone else, but you're preventing yourself from guilt. If you do something nice for someone you do know, lend them a pencil or something, you are doing a number of things, 1) you are solidifying your relationship with that person by showing them "personal sacrifice" (that may be too strong in this context, but you know); and 2) you are subconciously expecting something back from them. If you do something because it's "expected", that probably falls under the 1st category, you'd feel bad about not doing it or get repremanded.

You can't change anything but what's directly around you, but so many people are content with their surroundings that they don't see the point in putting forth effort to make a "little" change.

Maybe this is completely wrong, and off base, but I think it makes at least a teensy tiny bit of sense.

-Jeanne
Previous Topic: Is it hard...?
Next Topic: Notice, please!
Goto Forum: