A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Last night I had a unique experience
icon6.gif Last night I had a unique experience  [message #16866] Fri, 24 October 2003 18:44 Go to next message
e is currently offline  e

On fire!

I got to try fugu, the deadly poisonous blowfish served as sushi. In one of my classes we were assigned to make group presentations on various foodborne illnesses. One of the groups presented tetrodotoxin, the poison found in the blowfish which in more deadly than cyanide. It causes paralysis that can result in respiratory failure and death.

The student making the presentation works at a shushi bar where his boss is licensed to prepare fugu. The student was able to purchase the fish through his boss and his boss prepared it for us. It was good, though nothing particularly special (other than the anxiety caused by eating it). The wasabi and soy spiced it up a bit so it was flavorful. Not many of us actually tried it. Only about five of thirty students. We had to sign release form releasing the student, the chef, and the school from any liability.

It was fun to try, but a bit of a risk since there are about a hundred or so deaths each year. Needless to say, I was a bit nervous for about an hour after eating it since symptoms show up in about 30-60 minutes. It was one of those things I have wanted to try, but figured I would never get the opportunity because it costs so much.

Think good thoughts,
e
icon7.gif Re: Last night I had a unique experience  [message #16867 is a reply to message #16866] Fri, 24 October 2003 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Glad your sill OK!!!!

Just be careful K?

Hugs to you,

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: Last night I had a unique experience  [message #16873 is a reply to message #16866] Fri, 24 October 2003 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

Wow e! That's awesome. I'd have tried the fish without as much as batting an eye. I luuuuuuuuvvvv sushi!

One has to wonder, how did the Japanese learn to prepare the blowfish anyway? Smile After HOW many dead people, why didn't they go like, 'naaah, it ain't worth it for that stupid little tasteless fish' and just give up? Very Happy

Is Mr. Handsome still in your class?

One thing you could try with all those potatoes that is typically Swedish (and very simple) is called "pyttipanna", which is "this and that in a pan", approximately translated. Here's how you make it:

Hunt through your fridge for leftovers. Dice up all the clean meat and such you can find, like a lone pork chop, beef or some smoked ham or whatever, sausages, salami etc (not ground meat though). Peel and dice some nice taters and chop up some onion too. Fry the taters (you can fry boiled leftover ones too, that works also, but fresh ones are best. Takes longer though). Stick in the meat and onion and fry it all up so its done. Salt and pepper to taste of course.

If you're particular about it, you buy some nice meats or odds-and-ends bits cheap from the manual deli section at a supermarket to create a bit of variety or flavor or spice with garlic, chili etc. Usually, in Sweden this dish is pretty standard though without much in the way of any peculiar stuff, just in case you want to stick to the 'true spirit' of the dish. We're pretty conservative about food over here, with a few exceptions.

When the dish itself is finished, pour up on plates in a pile in the middle, then quickly fry one egg per person the way you like 'em and put 'em on top of the dish. Traditionally served with sliced pickled red beets on the side. Smile

Hugs:
-L

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
icon5.gif I thought the idea was  [message #16910 is a reply to message #16866] Sat, 25 October 2003 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

That they left a minute amount of the toxin present, and that the tongue was meant to tingle?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Hi Kevin!  [message #16917 is a reply to message #16867] Sat, 25 October 2003 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Always careful. But life without a little risk would be no fun. Besides, it's probably more dangerous to drive on the LA Freeways than to eat fugu. It just isn't as much fun.

Think good thoughts,
e
Sounds like a wonderful breakfast  [message #16918 is a reply to message #16873] Sat, 25 October 2003 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

All the leftovers wrapped up in a blanket of potatoes with an egg on top. A little bit of Hollandaise would likely make a nice addition.

Fugu was outlawed in Japan for quite some time because of the deathrate from eating it. But people persisted, so apparently, the government decide that it would be better to regulate it. So now only licensed sushi chefs are permitted to serve it, but still no one is perfect.

Think good thoughts,
e
Re: I thought the idea was  [message #16919 is a reply to message #16910] Sat, 25 October 2003 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I think that is more myth than reality. An amount of toxin small enough to fit on the head of a pin is more than enough to kill a person. However, many people do report felling some tingling in the hands and feet, and feeling a little "high" after eating fugu. I've got to admit I felt a little high afterward, but I figured it was fromn the adrenaline rush of having taken the risk.

Think good thoughts,
e
icon7.gif Tingling of hands and feet + 'high'?  [message #16923 is a reply to message #16919] Sat, 25 October 2003 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

Adrenaline rush. Definitely.

One has a near-death experience by eating quite possibly lethal fish, that would certainly trigger it. Very Happy

Dunno about the hollandaise though, heh heh. This is an old working-class people's dish which has become part of the national heritage. There's probably not a single road diner in the entire country that doesn't serve "pyttipanna" over here. Smile

Never tried it for breakfast, though I guess for people raised on hash browns, ham, eggs and sausages for breakfast it would be a logical choice. Smile Go for it! Very Happy

Continue with the cooking reports e, and please try to come visit me some summer. This city's so beautiful then, I promise you'd love it. Smile

HUUUGS:
-L

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
New cooking assignment  [message #16935 is a reply to message #16923] Sun, 26 October 2003 02:47 Go to previous message

On fire!

"Restaurant Day" On Friday, the last week before finals each term is "Restaurant Day." We are assigned to groups and each group must come up with a theme for a restaurant, then cook and serve dinner as if we worked in a restaurant. Next Friday is the day. I am in a group of four. Unfortunately, Brandon the super-cutie isn't in my group. We are doing a "New England Country Inn" theme. We settled on a menu of Welsh Rabbit with Warmed Oyster on the Half Shell, Pumpkin Soup, Gold and Red Beet Salad, Roasted Cornish Game Hen with Oyster Stuffing, and Coconut-Oat Tarts a la Mode. Hopefully, it will be good.

Think good thoughts,
e
Previous Topic: Happy Birthday, Lil Ducky !!
Next Topic: Jeeezzzzz!!!
Goto Forum: