A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > is prolonged exposure good or not?
is prolonged exposure good or not?  [message #16929] Sun, 26 October 2003 00:35 Go to next message
thirdfencepost is currently offline  thirdfencepost

Really getting into it

I was talking to smith last night. I was tellin him how I have grown so use to everyone here bitin and snappin at each other that I really don't even notice it. When it does stick out or is pointed out to me it was jsut fuckin funny. I couldnt stop laughing last night as I read the thread that Timmy zapped. It's weird becuase we have so much teenage violence now a days. Have teens been over exposed to this sort of behavior that we no longer react to it.

I use to get so upset as people were fighting on here it would make me feel sick to my stomach. No wit is funny. Is this good? Shoudl I really just get use to fighting and stuff is that even healthy?

My dad was cooking dinner tonight and he must have spilled something in the kitchen and he started yelling and cursing. This went on for about 10 minutes finally I oculdn't handle listening to it anymore and went back up to my room. By that time I felt so sick already that I jsut wanted to leave. IF my dad was always yellin and swearin and cursin and throwin shit would I eventually get accustomed to that also?

I'm almost done with my high school career (career thats what all the people at school like the principal and VP call it what a joke!) anyway I'm in 11th grade and I still relate better to middle school kids. recently I have become acutly aware of how much hatred there is around me. Comments and actions that use to piss me off to no end. Like when people call each other fags and when there is a fight in the hallway and stuff like that use to make me very upset. Now I find myself just standing idely by and watching and smiling with the other stoned dumbasses.

I have actually grown use to having people discuss how much dope they smoked the night before around me. Hell I don't even flinch when phillip and the kid behing me george are passin drugs for money between each other. phillip is a dealer. It doesn't even bother me. I am actually kind of interested to hear about what they were doin while stoned off their asses the night before.

Is this sort of desensitizing good? I mean should I really no longer be offended as people smoke and use chewing tabacco around me? It is so weird. Things I use to find revolting now are just like meh do what ya wnat. I mean it is not like I have suddnenly developed a need for alcohol or marjauna myself. but yeah it is weird..

People always talk abotu wnating to ban video games and computers games because the amount of violenbce in them is desensitizing them. Well I dunno I have never played a vidoe game in ,mmy life yet I find the samew thing happening to me. I guess it goes to show you dont need to seek out violence for it to affect you in the same ways

i am sorry i just rambled for so long. im gonna go now i have an english paper to write on my hero. see yas
love
andy

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
I know just what you mean  [message #16932 is a reply to message #16929] Sun, 26 October 2003 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

I watched a Showtime movie called Bang Bang You're Dead all about how kids finally get fed up and go into a school and shoot anyone who moves. The shooters just can't take the abuse and the feelings of worthlessness anymore. There is a website where you can download the play that they based the movie on.

I would go to school everyday and hear people yelling fag, perv, queer just because someone didn't have on the "right" shirt or looked different or just looked scared. I learned really quick that you never go in the bathroom.....blonds never go in the bathroom.

I fought alot.....I still do. I wish it didn't happen and the last time I got hurt more than I ever had before. But you're right Andy, things just kinda flow over me, past me. It's like you get numb and the only way to not feel it, not see it is to pretend it's not there...until it comes to find you. You're braver than me......Stronger, I guess.

{{{hugs}}} smith
Re: I know just what you mean  [message #16933 is a reply to message #16932] Sun, 26 October 2003 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
machelli is currently offline  machelli

Likes it here

You know how when you visit someone else's house you gradually become accustomed to the ambient odor? I think this situation is similar, only you're visiting a house that is slowly burning down and you've learned to just disregard "that burning smell."

viðrar vel til loftárása
Desensitised  [message #16934 is a reply to message #16929] Sun, 26 October 2003 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

I'm also at the end of his High-school incarceration, (A much better term)
and I', as fed up as the next. I hear all the time people screaming: "faggot",
"queer", usw at each other. I'm for some reason not even insulted by people.
It bothers me though, how some people can try to be nice but get treated like shit anyway. I don't know... In some ways I'm very sensative still, but in others, I don't give a bloody f**k any bloody f*****g more.
I'm at the point though where I'm considering becoming a medical-examiner, or corener due to my complete lack of f*****g for most people.

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
Hmm...  [message #16937 is a reply to message #16934] Sun, 26 October 2003 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
machelli is currently offline  machelli

Likes it here

What starts with "F" and ends with "U-C-K?"

"Fire truck;" remember that.

You know what would be nifty? If there was a movie out there with a rating past PG that DIDN'T have a SINGLE swear word in it. I'll have to do that when I become a famous Hollywood (*hurls*) Director-person.

Hey, and what's up with the word "gay?" It has three definitions! It can mean "happy," "homosexual" (okay, those are related; I'll give you that) but it can also mean "stupid," as in "Clark, don't stick your hand in the blender; that's just gay."

I mean, what the heck?

How about the "happy" version can be spelled "gay," - since it was the original owner of that word - the "homosexual" definition can be spelled "gae," and the "stupid" definition can be spelled "ifIusethiswordinthiscontextI'mignorantanyway." How about that?

viðrar vel til loftárása
Re: Hmm...  [message #16939 is a reply to message #16937] Sun, 26 October 2003 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

You DO have a great point...
Who knows how the heck most people come up with ANYTHING,
it's beyond me.
I just kind of go with the Britflow, most of the time...

icon7.gif Hahaha...  [message #16958 is a reply to message #16937] Sun, 26 October 2003 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

I like your last definition of "gay"....the "I'mdumberthanacrateofhammerssoignoreme" one. I heard that one just yesterday. "Jeezz,Man, you're not comin' to the beerbarf? God, you're so gay (stupid)!!"

There's one more......After you pee and stop to wash your hands with soap, you hear, "Hurry up! What are ya.......gay?"(prissy). Well, actually, yes, but then I kinda figure gayness is next to cleanliness which is next to Godliness which makes me very happy (gay) to be queer (gay).

JJ
icon7.gif ROFL  [message #16960 is a reply to message #16958] Sun, 26 October 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

smith... You're great, just great. Cool

Re: is prolonged exposure good or not?  [message #16965 is a reply to message #16929] Sun, 26 October 2003 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

No, it's awful

And we need to recognise that we must each not do it.

Yet again I have been told that there is a clique here. I was told "backstage" so to speak, so I won't say who told me so. Allegedly that clique can do or say what it wishes.

Only no-one has free rein here. I've even apologised myself a few times.

The only thing I wanmt here is eaqch of us to restrain themselves instead of biting someone's head off.

That "burning house" motif? Well, from here I almost have the fire out.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: is prolonged exposure good or not?  [message #17018 is a reply to message #16929] Mon, 27 October 2003 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony is currently offline  tony

Toe is in the water

all i can start with is WOW! it just goes to show you what a sad state of affairs we have created for ourselves if our young people have to ask this question "Is this sort of desensitizing good" andy i am a bit older and have been around for a while and i can say NO! this is not good. i could not and never will stand by and watch a fight take place. to see someone else getting hurt for no other reason than to prove who is stronger. to see someone dealing death to young people through drugs for a profit. what kind of world will this be in twenty years if we all turn the other cheek and let this stuff just happen. i am a firm beliver in communial parenting. if i see someone of any age doing these things i can not and will not stand by and allow it. i don't think anyone should
icon12.gif Re: is prolonged exposure good or not?  [message #17036 is a reply to message #16929] Mon, 27 October 2003 23:16 Go to previous message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

I prefer to look at it as a maturing of your thoughts. While the fighting is bad, very bad. After some work in our heads we decide not to give the ones spewing the hateful words the power they want. When we make a choice to ignore things, they no longer have power over us.

So, I think it can be a good thing if you want it to be.

Love and hugs to all,

Kevin

Razz

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Previous Topic: Boxers or Briefs?
Next Topic: It's me.... again
Goto Forum: