A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Anglican Hypocrisy
Anglican Hypocrisy  [message #17311] Mon, 03 November 2003 22:25 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today3_gene_20031103.ram is a BBC Radio 4 serious and heavyweight interview regarding the ordination of the first openly, actively gay bishop.

One of the main arguments they are using is how offended the Africans will be. The Africans? How fashionable.

I commend the discussion to you.

Anglican gay priests apparently have made a "lifestyle choice" and should remain celibate.

We gay men are "a sin against the Holy Ghost" (an odd conceprt since "thou shalt have none other gods but me"), and are to be comdemned. But they omit the argument thatg God makes no mistakes, and thus gay men are "by design"

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Anglican Hypocrisy  [message #17313 is a reply to message #17311] Mon, 03 November 2003 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Having met a Bishop that has a gay brother and hearing the phrase from him "God would not punish us for the way he made us" seems to make my point in a way.

Becoming a priest is a lifestyle choice, being gay is just how we were born.

I applaud the Church for finally moving into the 20th century. Any step that is positive should be celebrated. You may remember the same argument "it will tear the church apart" arguments when they decided to ordain women some years ago. Yet the church survived that.

It makes me sad that the Christian right uses fear, guilt, and many other ways to control their agenda. Keep in mind, that the same slogans about gays are used in KKK rallies. That alone should give us all a clue.

It doesn't matter what your faith 'love for your fellow man' ALL your fellow man should be what is preached from any pulpit.

Although I am not a minority by race, I do feel a kinship with them as I feel we are a minority of our own. I once went on a date with a guy that was black. My Mom freaked out at the time which surprised the heck out of me. I then told her "Mom, I am already a minority, I cannot afford to be prejudice". That feeling has never left me.

Decide to embrace someone different. Be a friend to them.

That can be your step of the day to make the world a better place.

Love to all,

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
icon7.gif The phrase that stuck with me ...  [message #17314 is a reply to message #17311] Mon, 03 November 2003 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

"The inclusion of the excluded"

Re: Anglican Hypocrisy  [message #17315 is a reply to message #17311] Mon, 03 November 2003 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

That is a unique spin on things, Timmy.
My own opinion of it is that... Everyone's opinion counts,
but everyone better have something to back their opinion with,
and before they blurt something out, they better be sure to have their own dirt gone. But that is my opinion, take it or leave it.

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
Another story, but relevant in some remote way to this post.  [message #17317 is a reply to message #17313] Tue, 04 November 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I would like to post a story, about the experience of one of my pen-pals.
(South Africa) One of my pen-pals, who has always been cool with me, and supportive of gay people in general, was attacked for her religon, Islam.
The fact that she is open, and accepting of everyone is not enough for some people, obviously, because some guy told her that she will go to Hell, and that her religon is evil, because of the actions of some screw-balls.

Re: Anglican Hypocrisy  [message #17322 is a reply to message #17313] Tue, 04 November 2003 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve

Really getting into it

Kevin wrote:

I applaud the Church for finally moving into the 20th century.

Do you mean to say that the Anglican Church is now only one century behind the rest of the world? ;-D
Re: Anglican Hypocrisy  [message #17323 is a reply to message #17322] Tue, 04 November 2003 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I'm sure it was a typo...
Or if not... Oh oh, what about us Catholics? :-[ :-[ Sad) Sad) Sad) Sad) :-*

icon7.gif Re: Anglican Hypocrisy  [message #17324 is a reply to message #17322] Tue, 04 November 2003 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

It sure is behind, unfortunately many have stayed behind with it.

icon3.gif Genertal Religious Hypocrisy  [message #17332 is a reply to message #17311] Tue, 04 November 2003 10:40 Go to previous message
dartagnon is currently offline  dartagnon

Likes it here

Philosophy is a walk on the slippery rocks.
Religion is a lie in the fold.

Or at least an song out of the 90's says. Having been raised Catholic, I know all too well what has happened to what we call faith in recent years. I just can't seem to think that what started out a group of people dedicated to love, community and accepting others for their own strengths and weaknesses should have been perverted into something as stringy, as binding, as graceless and self-denegrating as religion.

Churches have ceased to be houses of worship anymore. They become places of mere public convenience. Meeting halls for marriages and funerals. a place to go one day a week whether you want to or not, much like a job you hate. Where is the joy? Where has the sense of love and companionship gone?

Is it just me, or are not the foundations of all Judeo/Christian religious beliefs bound up in the phrase "created in his own image" which, as many here have stated, would imply that we were created, each, as we are, to be like we are. God doesn't make mistakes. Man, who decides to change things from how God originally created them, does make mistakes, and one of those mistakes is the compounded belief that Religion, Heirarchy, Training and Discipline make a man of god, not Faith, Hope, Love, Charity and Forgiveness.

I rejected my Catholic church membership long ago because the faith wasn't in the ritual anymore. Because the feeling of joy, of being part of something greater than yourself had fled the sad angels and stained glass saints that adorned my catechism studies as a child. There must be emotion in religion. And if acceptance can be an emotion, then that must be there as well.

Besides, according to some statistics, the number of gay, lesbian and bi-sexual persons in the so-called civilized world is rising. We will need people of faith and conscience to minister to, advise, comfort and rejoice with us as well as the more traditional family roles. The priesthood of any religion, as well as such upper castes and positions within such organizations should understand that your sexuality only defines your job if that's what you do for a living. And you'd have far more reliable, dutiful and honorable people in the high collar now if we allowed priests to marry and be like normal people as well, raise families and such.

So to those that grumble and groan about homosexuals in the service of faith, I advise them to listen to their own holy scriptures.

Beloved, let us love one another. For love is of God, and everyone that loves is born of God and knows God. He that does not love does not know God, for God is love. So, Beloved, let us love one another. 1st John, 4: 7&8.

Via con Dios, muchachos!

It's not the wolf you see you should fear, but all the ones he howls with. Don't be afraid of the song, but don't piss off the choir.
Previous Topic: Park Picture
Next Topic: I was rude.
Goto Forum: