A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Tea vs. Coffee
icon5.gif Tea vs. Coffee  [message #18028] Sat, 29 November 2003 12:50 Go to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

What do you drink? I've been raised on tea by my Mama. She always has a cup of tea in her hand. My Daddy, of course, practically drowns in coffee. I wasn't allowed to drink coffee because of the caffeine (I'm kinda hyper) and I now have a fullout addiction to tea.

Coffee has 125/185 milligrams of caffeine / tea has 55 milligrams per cup. Coffee makes you hyped and wide awake / tea calms and soothes. There are no health benefits from coffee / teas can help with cancer and heart disease. (yeah, I've been on Google) and yeah, I know there's decaf but well, kinda ick.

I'm just sitting here slurping down Good Earth Sweet&Spicy Red Tea and wondering what kick starts your day? Are you a Starbucks addict? Have you tasted Splenda? It tastes just like real sugar and without the aspertame in the fake.

Have a great Saturday ~ We got our Christmas trees last night Very Happy wheee! I get a small one to put here in my computer room and the huge one goes in the living room. I was considering decorating mine with red and green condoms but I think I'll hold on that idea for now Sad)

Oh......We got our Brahma bull Gus a sweetie. He was trying to knock down the fences and we could "feel his pain" haha! Her name is Jasmine cause the first thing she did was start eating our Confederate Jasmine that grows all along the fence lines. Here's the happy couple. I expect to hear contented bellows very soon Wink

smith
  • Attachment: Dsc00047.jpg
    (Size: 75.58KB, Downloaded 339 times)
icon3.gif I'm just like Captain Picard.  [message #18029 is a reply to message #18028] Sat, 29 November 2003 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

Tea, Earl Grey, hot!

Except, I prefer to have mine with milk. Earl Grey for me is a breakfast tea, I grew up with it virtually EVERY breakfast for eighteen years. I love it, I don't want to live without my Earl Grey. It also works very well with Digestives. Smile

Apart from this tea, I have eight other varieties in the cabinet above the stove. Three of those are green, one is green/black in a mix and one is red. All taste great, except maybe the Gunpowder coz it is a bit coarse on the tongue, but that one is still nice.

I didn't buy myself a tea percolator for nothing you know! Wink

Hugs, smith:
-L

PS: Gus seems to be a really lucky guy, such luscious complexion that girl has! Very Happy

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
Re: I'm just like Captain Picard.  [message #18030 is a reply to message #18029] Sat, 29 November 2003 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

I like Earl Grey as well..... in the evening mostly.... but you can have the moo Smile

For brekkie I prefer Orange Pecoe

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Always tea  [message #18031 is a reply to message #18028] Sat, 29 November 2003 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

I have never been able to handle the taste of coffee, just a bit too strong for me.
For REAL tea (with caffeine) I'm now drinking Lipton's green tea (orange, passionfruit and jasmine flavor). But am limited to just one cup a day by my doctor. Most of the time it's Celestial Seasonings decaf mandarin orange green tea.

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: Always tea  [message #18032 is a reply to message #18031] Sat, 29 November 2003 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Ohhhh....

That sounds yummy.....

I shall get some.... Smile

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
icon7.gif You should try Rooibos then.  [message #18033 is a reply to message #18031] Sat, 29 November 2003 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

No caffeine, very little tannine acid (much less than ordinary tea), and tons of goodies like minerals and antioxidants. Smile

Also, it has a nice color and it has a natural sweetening agent too, which enhances the taste. Smile

Take care!
-L

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
icon6.gif Re: Tea vs. Coffee  [message #18036 is a reply to message #18028] Sat, 29 November 2003 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dartagnon is currently offline  dartagnon

Likes it here

Neither, actually. I've never been big into coffee, even on cold days. And, well, this is kinda embarrassing to admit.....I'm alergic to tea. It's wierd and uncommon, but it's true. I'm living in the south, where iced tea is pretty much the house wine at some restaunants and the pride of some lady's kitchen arts, and I have to turn it down or get like violently sick and possibly die.

If it's cold out, hot cocoa does it for me. All other times, well, i'm hopelessly addicted to Vanilla Coke. I was mixing them at home even before Coca-Cola came out with it. Gets my sugar fix and my caffeine jones going every time.

Stop by one day and I'll buy you a cup. Cheers, all!

It's not the wolf you see you should fear, but all the ones he howls with. Don't be afraid of the song, but don't piss off the choir.
Re: Tea vs. Coffee  [message #18037 is a reply to message #18028] Sat, 29 November 2003 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thirdfencepost is currently offline  thirdfencepost

Really getting into it

Mmmm. I have some bad memories of coffee. See this one time during either finals or midterms (cannot rememebr now) When I was a sophomore I decided that I needed to study! So I drank I believe it was 6 or 7 cups of coffee not realizing any problem with it. So ya know some of you who have apparnely drank too much coffee now its not a pleasant feeling. Turned out I loked od;ed on caffeine that night and was shaking really bad and puking my guts up for 4 or 5 hours. Looking back on it is seems kind of humourous at the time I thought I was dying though. I mean I'll put it this way I was shaking so bad that my mom couldnt stop me from shaking. She is much bigger then I was and she couldn't help at all.

So that is my long tale about why I no longer drink coffee. I know their is decaf also but just the idea of coffee is very unappealing. I have such yucky memories of pukign it up...

It was ok though because I love tea. So I too have become a full fledged addict of that and orange soda *drools on his keyboard*
Love
Peace and Tress
~Andy

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
Re: Tea vs. Coffee  [message #18038 is a reply to message #18036] Sat, 29 November 2003 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thirdfencepost is currently offline  thirdfencepost

Really getting into it

Mmmm you should try lemon and lime and hot water and lemon. It is actually something shem told me to sue to help get my voice back (which it worked beautifully for). However I ahve grown quite addicted to it. No tea just citris and honey sooo good.

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
Re: Tea vs. Coffee  [message #18039 is a reply to message #18028] Sat, 29 November 2003 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nick is currently offline  nick

Likes it here

I like both drinks, but which I'll have when is slightly complicated.

I love tea. It is so refreshing. I make myself a BIG mug of tea for breakfast, which has got to be my favourite drink of the day. I also love the British tradition for afternoon tea around 4pm.

But I also like coffee. Coffee wins hands down on the aroma front, although sadly the taste of coffee never quite lives up to the promise of the smell of freshly ground beans. I don't drink much coffee at home - it tends to be something I drink when I go out. I particularly enjoy a cup of filter coffee after a nice meal at a restaurant.

At work I have the drink which emerges when you press the "coffee" button in the morning and the drink which emerges when you press the "tea" button in the afternoon. Both are fine so long as you don't think of them as coffee and tea.

Good Earth Sweet & Spicy Red Tea sounds intriguing - tell us more! I would guess that you drink that without milk? Does it come in tea bags or do you brew it in a pot?
icon7.gif Most definitely Tea  [message #18040 is a reply to message #18028] Sat, 29 November 2003 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
setras is currently offline  setras

Likes it here

Just never liked the taste of coffee... I sometimes drink "special coffees" like something called Wienercafé, which has has coffee and cocoa in it, I think.

I like lots of teas, really... 'Irish Breakfast Tea' is good, just like 'English Breakfast Tea' too... and 'Lady Gray' and then they sell something called 'Bride of the Emperor' here, which is really good too. And I also like green teas. Oh, and I got to taste japanese rice tea a few weeks back, it tasted almost like popcorn or rice cakes. Was really weird Smile

Setras

That which is dreamed can never be lost, can never be undreamed.
-Master Li in Neil Gaiman's Sandman
icon7.gif Hiya Nickie  [message #18041 is a reply to message #18039] Sat, 29 November 2003 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

The Good Earth Sweet&Spicy red tea is wonderful. It smells like cinnamon and you feel like you're drinking cider Yum....It's tea bags and I don't put anything in it. I can buy it in the grocery store here.
http://www.goodearth.com

Another favorite is Red Rose Tea. I liked it when I was little cause each box contains a tiny china animal and I'd make Mama take all the tea bags out so I could get the elephant or the lion or the gorilla and put them in my "zoo". Haha...the tea is good too.
Re: Tea vs. Coffee  [message #18042 is a reply to message #18028] Sat, 29 November 2003 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
e is currently offline  e

On fire!

Coffee, black. For breakfast anyways. I usually love a hearty, darker coffee like French Roast. For years I drank an entire pot every morning but not anymore. My doctor frightened me off drinnking that much. I switched to drinking half regular and half decaf and now only drink three cups in the morning. As for tea, I prefer it iced. Arizona brand makes a green tea with gensing and honey that I have ripped off. I simply make my own blend. My wife and daughter prefer it to the Arizona and we nearly always have a pitcher in the fridge. For hot tea, I usually prefer Earl Grey or English Breakfast, prehaps with a drop of honey, but never milk.

What is hard to believe about coffee is that espresso drinks have less cafeine than drip brewed coffee even though they taste stronger. It's all in the brewing process. The flavor components are released first and at higher temperatures while the cafeine is slower to be extracted from the bean. Since the beans in a drip brewed coffee are in the water for several minutes, more cafeine is extracted. Espresso is brewed by forcing steam through the beans quickly, therefore it contains more flavor, but less cafeine. This is why people can consume Starbucks or other espresso drinks in the evening and still get to sleep.

Think good thoughts,
e
Neither!  [message #18043 is a reply to message #18028] Sun, 30 November 2003 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Well, for the entire time I was in Australia I had neither anyway, growing up as a Mormon both are considered things 'best avoided' due to the caffeine content. I used to be (and still am) quite big on hot chocolates, though, or cold milk based drinks like Milo and Nesquik.

Here in Japan I'm being a little more liberal with the Mormon rules, but I'm still not really much of a big tea or coffee drinker. I have tried it all, but still not a big fan. If I do drink either I prefer it to be flavoured or with milk. Black coffee is a little too strong for me, but occasionally I will use it as a remedial thing for work, if I forget to sleep the night before. Cafe Au Laite (how do you spell that? In Japanese it is just phonetic! Ca-fe Ou Re-i) is okay, but I'd prefer a chocolate flavoured drink, personally, it lacks the bitter and occasionally burnt taste coffee has.

As for teas, well, in Japan people usually just drink Oolong, Wheat Tea, Milk Tea or Green Tea, especially hot and I find none of them overly appealing. In Japan however, iced teas are VERY popular, especially during the hot humid summers, they come in all the above listed kinds, as well as flavoured teas. My favourites are lemon tea and peach tea, although really I think I just prefer fruit juice, if I want something with a bit of a milder taste than juice I'll buy a tea, though, juice can be a bit sweet at times. As Andy said, Lemon and Honey with hot water can be good (I hate it cold, though) but I've only ever really drank it when I've had a cold, or been close to having one, but I'm sure it is quite nice normally, I just prefer my hot drinks to have milk in them, it is more comforting, especially if you use all milk and no water.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Both!  [message #18045 is a reply to message #18043] Sun, 30 November 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

I want to try all of the delicious brews mentioned above, altho I must admit to liking quite a few of them already.

Iced peppermint tea is a fav.

Swiss chocolate almond and French vanilla coffees are great.

And the Hard Rock Cafe in Singapore has a terrific red iced tea with a clove in it that's wowza! I'm going there on Sunday night for dinner while on my visa run.

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
Cloves.... YES.....  [message #18052 is a reply to message #18045] Sun, 30 November 2003 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Although I haven't done so in a long time.....

I sometimes put two or three whole cloves into the pot to steep with the tea. It has a wonderful down deep warming quality to it.

Re: Tea vs. Coffee  [message #18077 is a reply to message #18028] Mon, 01 December 2003 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

Hmm... I'm soaking in coffee with a cup of tea in my hand!

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
icon7.gif Cute couple .... hehe  [message #18086 is a reply to message #18028] Mon, 01 December 2003 08:50 Go to previous message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

I don't really drink either coffe or tea often, but my choice is tea if I had to pick.

Earl grey and one I found called "English tea time" is really good.

Sometimes Green tea is good as well, mostly midday for mme on that.

Drink up,

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Previous Topic: :'-( :-D
Next Topic: soemdays I just wish I could rememebr my password *sigh*
Goto Forum: