A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Digital Clock
icon7.gif Digital Clock  [message #18059] Sun, 30 November 2003 21:13 Go to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

The University of Poland 's science students have finally finished the digital clock they have been working on for 4 years. Go to this site to see the results.

http://www.yugop.com/ver3/stuff/03/fla.html

hehe, no offence to the Pols, just a cute one.

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: Digital Clock  [message #18061 is a reply to message #18059] Sun, 30 November 2003 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thirdfencepost is currently offline  thirdfencepost

Really getting into it

wait isnt the time wrong on it lol

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
Love it!  [message #18062 is a reply to message #18059] Sun, 30 November 2003 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nick is currently offline  nick

Likes it here

No Message Body
The time is right for me!  [message #18066 is a reply to message #18061] Mon, 01 December 2003 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

It seems to be based off the time shown on your computer clock, javascript I guess...

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
icon7.gif Fascinating! Thanks, Kevvy!  [message #18067 is a reply to message #18059] Mon, 01 December 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

Glad to see you posting again...

*hugs!*

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
icon7.gif Re: Digital Clock  [message #18072 is a reply to message #18059] Mon, 01 December 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I have been told that Polish and maybe non-Polish persons have been offended by my joke.

To each of you I say "I am soory"

If it is important, make the joke about Iceland (my ancestors country)
then you don't have to be mad at me

Love to all,

Kevin

Re: Digital Clock  [message #18073 is a reply to message #18072] Mon, 01 December 2003 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

You were pretty clear that it was a joke in your original post...

I liked it.

Thanks for the giggle!

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
Re: Digital Clock  [message #18074 is a reply to message #18073] Mon, 01 December 2003 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

True but some jokes are just plain in bad taste.

As such they are demeaning, cruel, and one would have expected they would be totally out of place here.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
ehehehehe!  [message #18075 is a reply to message #18059] Mon, 01 December 2003 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
misplaced is currently offline  misplaced

Really getting into it

well, i'm half polish .. but the other half that is russian stands up and fights for the polish half! Very Happy i thought it was funny! i like watching the fast-furious hand go, hehe!

my void does not want.

icon12.gif Interesting  [message #18090 is a reply to message #18074] Mon, 01 December 2003 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It keeps good time, is digital, and is inventive.

The whole thing is very clever, and is a double jest. At first one laughs AT the Polish nation. A traditional pursuit, it seems. Then one laughs WITH them at the rest of the world who believes that it is a joke against Poland.

The whole clock is ironic. Extremely well thought out, and worthy of the highest praise. The joke is on us, not on the Poles

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Interesting  [message #18092 is a reply to message #18090] Mon, 01 December 2003 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Additionally the double jest seems capabale of beingmade at any nation. The clock itself appears to have been crafted by a Japanese.

One could say that, by attributing the original jest to the Poles, Kevin has praised them

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Interesting  [message #18093 is a reply to message #18092] Mon, 01 December 2003 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

Ethnic jokes are of the lowest form of humor.

They are also the lowest form of bigotry.
You're missing the point I am making  [message #18095 is a reply to message #18093] Mon, 01 December 2003 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I do appreciate the issue with ethnic jokes. Totally.

What I see with this one is that, whoever one makes the joke against, it backfires.

Let's say it was common to say the the Belgians are stupid. The French do this a lot. We do the same about the Irish. The Northern Irish do it about peole who live in Strabane, and so forth. So, we attribute this clock to "the stupid Belgians". A person looking at it on a trivial level says "Yes, the Belgians are indeed stupid", because this digital clock looks like paper and pencil. But, staying and looking at it shows the high degree of functional and innovative technology behind this allegedly paper and pencil clock.

Thus "The Belgians are amazing!" is the result, not "The Belgians are Stupid". And the entire joke backfires on all who thought the Belgians were stupid.

Thus the joke is a multi-ethnic joke against all except the alleged target.

Re: You're missing the point I am making  [message #18097 is a reply to message #18095] Mon, 01 December 2003 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

OK.... Let me clarify my point.

First, I made my feelings known to Kevin privately. Off the board. He then chose to make a grandstand play, on the board.

I therefore see the need to make it known that I believe jokes of this nature are for ignorant people to prey on the unwitting.

They are designed to belittle a group much in the same way as gays are preached about on the pulpit.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: You're missing the point I am making  [message #18098 is a reply to message #18097] Mon, 01 December 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
misplaced is currently offline  misplaced

Really getting into it

i can completely see how jokes aimed at nations and such are in poor taste, and i do agree with you there...

but we have laughed at blonde jokes, i think even on this board, for one. that's not the point though because even some of those make *me* cringe.

but the initial responses to the joke on this board were "fascinating" and "i love it" as though it really WERE a real clock! (and i mean, it is--i still keep staring at it like the dork that i am.)

i do not believe any harm was meant. i just wanted to say that i can see both sides of this coin though, as well as the angle that timmy laid down, which is pretty much proven given initial responses to the clock.

my void does not want.

You'll notice I have not disagreed with you  [message #18099 is a reply to message #18097] Mon, 01 December 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am not keen on any jokes against a minority either. I simply noticed that this one fires in all directions except at the minority that appears to be the target

Re: You're missing the point I am making  [message #18100 is a reply to message #18097] Mon, 01 December 2003 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

Maybe it's better to avoid another fight.

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
icon5.gif Grandstand play?  [message #18103 is a reply to message #18097] Mon, 01 December 2003 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I made an apology to anyone offended. Why not accept my words the way they are written?

Seems fair to me

Kevin

Re: Grandstand play?  [message #18105 is a reply to message #18103] Mon, 01 December 2003 17:35 Go to previous message

Needs to get a life!

Fair enough.

Previous Topic: soemdays I just wish I could rememebr my password *sigh*
Next Topic: Poem Time, something very sad.
Goto Forum: