A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I hate to be political but ......
icon5.gif I hate to be political but ......  [message #18175] Fri, 05 December 2003 04:55 Go to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Well that is not true at all, I only hate to offend those that find my views so at odds with their own that they get angry at me for having mine.

But I would like to ask all those in the U.S. and outside a question ....

Does the current policy seem to you (it does to me) like the strongest kid on the block is a bully, only picking on those he can easily beat up. We talk about moral leadership but we go after Iraq, when North Korea, Iran and Syria pose a much graver threat than Iraq has ever been. We pick on the one we can beat up without effort and now it seems we are getting beat back anyway.

Why is killing so accepted by the people in this country? We had Sept 11th, OK. But that is nor the first ever act of terror in the world or even on us or on our soil. Why now are Americans so willing to blindly accept killing as a means to peace.

I just don't get it.

In the words of a dead Beetle "All we are saying, is give peace a chance"

Seems he is smarter than most of us that are still living.

*Kevin once again hops off the soapbox*

Thud!

Ouch twisted my ankle on that jump! hehe

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
icon7.gif Re: I hate to be political but ......  [message #18176 is a reply to message #18175] Fri, 05 December 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Whoops, I meant Beatle .....

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: I hate to be political but ......  [message #18177 is a reply to message #18175] Fri, 05 December 2003 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

This country was founded on the blood of innocent people doing nothing more than living where our forefathers wanted to be.

Why should you expect any different now?

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: I hate to be political but ......  [message #18178 is a reply to message #18177] Fri, 05 December 2003 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

Blood seeping from the soil.
It seems to me, that wherever there is a place founded on greed, blood-shed, and hate, it will continue in some way, shape, or form.
Fear spawns fear, and hate spawns hate.
My question, (rhetorical) is... What makes one life worth more than another-
Why are people run by fear, and not patience?

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
Re: I hate to be political but ......  [message #18179 is a reply to message #18178] Fri, 05 December 2003 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Fear is easier....

And alot more profitable....

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
icon3.gif Politically and Historically Speaking......  [message #18189 is a reply to message #18175] Fri, 05 December 2003 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dartagnon is currently offline  dartagnon

Likes it here

In one way, shape, form or manner or another, every dominant, sustained culture of the modern era has been based on one simple fact, no matter how you like to dressed it up and try to make it seem different.

Naked force, be it political oppression, physical violence or economic power has always been weilded in the interests of those with as opposed to those without. At it's most basic level in America it was the white man's lust for the land and gold that drove the red man to near extinction. It was William of Normandy who shattered the peace of the peoples of England and made the island nation his own. Similarly, the Nazi's dropped the heavy end of the hammer on Europe and its Gypsie and Jewish populations without mercy.

So what does this prove? Even in the idyllic realm of Camelot, might was used to defend right, not just for the mighty. Is Bush the Second doing this now? Hard to tell. Do the locals understand why the Americans are still occupying their land? Probably not wholly. Does killing because of killing equate justice? Well, that's a toughy. In my humble opinion, no, but with certain qualifications.

There are certain people beyond the limits of any redemption. True fiends of the highest order for whom no amount of rehabilitation will ever work. And for them, yes, death is a suitable punishment. And I don't say this lightly. There are killers out there that do not deserve to draw the same air as the people they would be hunting. The Ted Bundy's out there. The war truly sick beings whose entire world revolves around causing harm for it's own sake, for the thrill of the kill. Even if I were an opponent of the death penalty, I still think that such people need to be locked away and just forget where the key is.

But I don't think that we should be killing people in Iraq. I think the Iraqi people, who do have my sympathy and my prayers, have been oppressed so long, have lived under the terror of their own leadership for such a long time, and have had to withstand the brutal assault of a madman's every whim without hope that they forget what it's like to be free and civilized. The Muslim religion is one of peace and tolerance. Its teachings are so closely in tune with the core message of Christianity that it is a wonder that they haven't lived in peace all this time.

Somewhere along the line, that went wrong, and the fundamentalists there, much like fundamentalists here, seem to have forgotten that while the message does not change, the times do. Perhaps that's the line we all need to look for. Remember the words of God/Allah, remember their spirit and truth, but don't forget that to bring that into your modern life you must live it. It is one thing to hope for peace within your own land. It's another thing to send out your children with guns and bombs and call it a holy sacrifice.

So does killing justify killing? No. Is defending yourself you God given right? Yes. Is helping your fellows escape the wrath of a man who glories in death and pain your duty? I think so. I think at the heart of the matter, anything that helps us all get along, even with it's bumps and bruises along the way, is important.

And while I do not approve of the war, you wont ever find me not supporting our military. I've been on US and British Naval ships many times when I was a child (HMS Hermes several times). I've seen the sacrifices such men make for their country, and the pride they take in keeping all of us free and safe. I know the fear of not knowing if your brother, son, or father, or cousin, or in this modern world, even a sister, mother or daughter is well, hurt, dying, in harms way, thinking of you as they do their job. It's a lonely, dangerous thing they do, and I'm sure it's the same for all types of service, be it US Marines and Army, Royal Air Force and Commandos, or just the Coast Guard watching the home shores. They may not want to be there, but they don't hesitate when the call goes out.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that there needs to be an end to this bloody mess in the Middle East. I don't think any of us would argue against that. But we do need to let the Iraqi's handle their own. The UN needs to stop dragging it's heals and enforce it's own directives for a change. If other nations don't want it to just be a US and British backed campaign, then lend a hand and let's get the job done, get Iraqi back in the hands of the Iraqis and have them join the international community as an ally instead of a threat.

And yeah, while I condemn those that took part in 9-11, I condemn any who use terrorism as a means to an end. When you hold a gun to any child's head to force him to pretend you are a nice man, or hold a gun to that child's father's head and tell the child to do as he's told or Daddy's brains go all over the wall.... that I condemn. That isn't a human being who would do that. That's the monster under the bed, folks. That's the beast in the night that will creep up behind you and kill you just because it can, just because it wants to.

And as hard a thing as it is to say, when you have a mad dog loose in the neighborhood, you call the dog catcher to come put it down. They call it putting the dog out of it's misery, butin reality, we don't want the dog's disease to spread and kill other animals and maybe other people.

For far too long, we let a mad dog roam the halls of power in Iraq. The people there were in terror because of it. Now the dog catcher has come and the disease is much bigger than anyone else imagined nor wanted to believe. So do we let the infected dogs continue to roam, hurting and killing at will......or do we put them out of their, and our, misery?

Something tough to think on, my brothers. I don't have all the answers, nor do I pretend to. That's just how I see it, sad as it all is, maddening as it has become, and shameful that we and others let it get this bad before acting.

Your thoughts?

It's not the wolf you see you should fear, but all the ones he howls with. Don't be afraid of the song, but don't piss off the choir.
Re: Politically and Historically Speaking......  [message #18190 is a reply to message #18189] Fri, 05 December 2003 22:12 Go to previous message

Needs to get a life!

All your points ring true, to a point.

But if this were in arabic and penned by Bin Ladin himself it all would be just as true and just as correct from his perspective.

To us they may be the dogs of war but to them we are just as evil in our dealings with their culture. All in the name of energy.

Previous Topic: Be Careful What You Wish For!
Next Topic: Friends
Goto Forum: