A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Stange Laws....
Stange Laws....  [message #18162] Thu, 04 December 2003 06:00 Go to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

LAW: It is illegal to taunt someone for refusing to participate in a duel.
CITATION: §61-2-24. Taunting for nonparticipation in duel; penalty.
ACTUAL: If any person post another, or in writing or in print use any reproachful or contemptuous language to or concerning another, for not fighting a duel, or for not sending or accepting a challenge, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, shall be confined in jail not more than six months, or fined not exceeding one hundred dollars.

LAW: It is illegal to require someone to purchase a horror comic book.
CITATION: Cal Bus & Prof Code §16603 Requiring purchase of horror comic book as condition to sale or consignment of magazine or other publication.
ACTUAL: Every person who, as a condition to a sale or consignment of any magazine, book, or other publication requires that the purchaser or consignee purchase or receive for sale any horror comic book, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($ 1,000), or by both.
As used in this section "horror comic book" means any book or booklet in which an account of the commission or attempted commission of the crime of arson, assault with caustic chemicals, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, kidnapping, mayhem, murder, rape, robbery, theft, or voluntary manslaughter is set forth by means of a series of five or more drawings or photographs in sequence, which are accompanied by either narrative writing or words represented as spoken by a pictured character, whether such narrative words appear in balloons, captions or on or immediately adjacent to the photograph or drawing.

LAW: It is illegal to transport a skunk across state lines.
CITATION: 70-4-208. Unlawful importation of skunks - Penalty.
ACTUAL: (a) It is unlawful for any person to import, possess, or cause to be imported into this state any type of live skunk, or to sell, barter, exchange or otherwise transfer any live skunk, except that the prohibitions of this section shall not apply to bona fide zoological parks and research institutions.

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
icon7.gif The mind boggles...  [message #18163 is a reply to message #18162] Thu, 04 December 2003 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

It might seem funny in a way, but really, it isn't. One might think about whenever was it ever big enough of a problem requiring horror comic book purchases, to require signing a law forbidding such practices?

I think I smell someone's own personal views/agenda translated into law here... Does it say anything about when these laws were made?

Frivolous laws, especially frivolous laws based on someone's opinions, is a severe abuse of power, and should definitely itself be turned into a crime by means of the law. Problem is, while there are laws forbidding bees to patronize bars, there's no law such as the one I propose...

-L

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
icon12.gif Actually Lenny  [message #18168 is a reply to message #18163] Thu, 04 December 2003 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
e is currently offline  e

On fire!

The pushing of horror comic books was a major problem here in CA. It became nearly impossible to walk into a store and make a purchase of any kind without first being required to purchase one of those damned comic books. It started back in the 50s when stores began giving away the comic books (based on bad sci-fi and horror movies) as promotions but found they couldn't even give them away. They had millions of the damned things printed up and were stuck with them until someone came up with the idea that they could blackmail customers into buying them by refusing to allow other purchases until the customer had bought one of those books. The things were awful and overpriced. The artwork was poor, there was never a valid plot and they disintegrated after a while so even collecting them was out of the question. Every store was forcing them on us (and by the way, it became illegal to throw them away due to landfill restrictions) so after a while people began putting their children out into the backyard because the kid's bedrooms were filled with the damned things. It was a real nightmare (even worse than those on Elm Street). Psychologists speculate that Freddie, Jason, and others of their ilk were inspired to commit their infamous crimes after reading horror comic books (they claimed there were backwards satanic messages imbedded in them). In san Francisco they blamed the comic books as being the root cause of homosexuality. So you see, something HAD to be done. Californians were just unable to tolerate all the sequels, spin offs, and copy cats. I mean really, who wants to go see Friday the 13th, part 4,736,987,000 anyways? So the comic books were outlawed and oddly enough, the sequels have nearly stopped. ;-D Sad) ::-) Surprised

{{HUGS}}

Think good thoughts,
e
icon7.gif More Stange Laws....  [message #18195 is a reply to message #18162] Sat, 06 December 2003 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

In Michigan a woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission.

It is illegal for any member of the Nevada legislature to conduct official business wearing a penis costume while the legislature is in session.

In Ventura County, California cats and dogs are not allowed to have sex without a permit.

In the state of Washington there is a law against having sex with a virgin under any circumstances (including the wedding night).

In Florida, having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

In California, animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school or place of worship.

In Washington state, it's against the law to sleep in an outhouse without the owner's permission.

Putting salt on a railroad track can be punishable by death in the state of Alabama.

In Texas, it's illegal to put graffiti on someone else's cow.

It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on in North Dakota.

In California, it is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
hehehe...  [message #18196 is a reply to message #18195] Sat, 06 December 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
misplaced is currently offline  misplaced

Really getting into it

shoot. then i need a husband, in michigan, who will tell me NOT to cut my hair, so that i will therefore stop cutting it in the summer and whining about it throughout fall/winter/spring, until it grows out and i cut it again. Very Happy Sad)

my void does not want.

Re: More Stange Laws....  [message #18223 is a reply to message #18195] Sun, 07 December 2003 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

The sad thing is... There had to be a reason for a lot of these laws.

I heard that in San Francisco, there is a law against washing your car with dirty underwear. Sad but true.

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
icon7.gif This is the first of many installments of "If I were King"  [message #18228 is a reply to message #18162] Mon, 08 December 2003 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

If I were King, politicians would have to remove one law from the books in order to pass another one. I have a feeling they would find these silly laws first and then get on to real reform (this is the Libertarianist streak in me)and passing new laws would be a bit harder wich they should be.

For those that are unaware of the Libertarian movement in the USA, to put it as plainly and oversimplified as I can "We want governemnt to stay out of our daily lives"

I hold that view on some issues but not all.

Love to you all,

Kevin

P.S. If I were king you would all be princes and princesses. After all you are my family.
::-) :-*

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: This is the first of many installments of "If I were Kin  [message #18229 is a reply to message #18228] Mon, 08 December 2003 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

Thanks Kevvy, could I be princess? :-*

Yes, good thinking, Kevin!

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
Re: This is the first of many installments of "If I were King"  [message #18230 is a reply to message #18228] Mon, 08 December 2003 01:08 Go to previous message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

Well, I'd rather elect who lords over me.....

At least if he is a looser he will have a date of termination for me to look forward to.
Previous Topic: I must be really 'Grinchy' with my $$$$ but..........
Next Topic: Busy weekend
Goto Forum: