A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > If I were King .....
icon7.gif If I were King .....  [message #18242] Tue, 09 December 2003 11:50 Go to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

If I were King the issue of Gay Marriage would be solved for everyone. The Cristian right says it is a religious issue .... OK I will concede that point. However in that concession would be a few stipulations.

1. Any recognized church that did Marry gay couples, that marriage would have to also be recognized by the state.

2. Any couple not married in a church, like a Justice of the Peace, would be considered a Civil Union whether they were gay or straight.

On a side note:

One Candidate for president was the only Governor (Howard Dean) in the USA to sign into law Civil Unions for gay and lesbian couples in any of the 50 states. Times they are a changin my friends...

Much love to all of you,

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: If I were King .....  [message #18245 is a reply to message #18242] Tue, 09 December 2003 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

If you think that would be a solution for everyone then the only place you would be king of would be fantasy land.

It is good to dream.... But sometimes you have to wake up to reality.
Gee... wish it were that easy!  [message #18247 is a reply to message #18242] Tue, 09 December 2003 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mg_zidane is currently offline  mg_zidane

Toe is in the water

I just don't see what the fuss is all about.

I mean, I believe in God, but I don't believe God punishes gay people.
I don't know... I just sort of have this... gut feeling into it.

'Cause I really don't feel bothered.
What's so wrong with falling in love with another guy?
If they could only see into the hearts of gay people,
it's not like we actually have a choice.

As much as we try to like girls, we can't.
Well, that's in my case anyway. I don't see it as 'sinful' or 'immoral.'

As long as we don't hurt other people.
Unlike theft or murder, you can choose to do it or not to do it.
Unfortunately, love is not a matter of choice.
It just is. It just happens.
When you fall in love with a person, you can't choose not to love her/him!

Well, my opinion.
Kevin, I'll pray hard for you to be the King someday.
Problem is, passing on of power there is hereditary, right?
If it was through election, I don't see why you couldn't be. Smile

"The worst way of missing someone is to be sitting right next to them knowing you can't have them." To Stephen Tsang, wherever you are.
Re: Gee... wish it were that easy!  [message #18251 is a reply to message #18247] Tue, 09 December 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Here, in the "bible belt" where religous fundamentalism reigns supreme, the very concept of being gay is an affrontage to everything they believe in.

If Kevin were to be King and even suggested what he proposes he would be a target. Nothing more. They would literally stop at nothing to irradicate the cause of modification to their beliefs.

Remember, these are the people that spawned the Ku Klux Klan.
icon12.gif Please ...  [message #18257 is a reply to message #18245] Tue, 09 December 2003 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Please try to take things in the spirit in which I stated them. Please don't be negative just because it comes from me, OK?

Thanks,

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: Please ...  [message #18262 is a reply to message #18257] Tue, 09 December 2003 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Try to be not quite so paranoid. And taking things in the spirit in which they were given goes both ways your majesty.
*squint*  [message #18265 is a reply to message #18262] Tue, 09 December 2003 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
misplaced is currently offline  misplaced

Really getting into it

marc, with all due respect, maybe if you weren't so sharp-tongued with some replies, people wouldn't be so paranoid? i've seen you be nice before...

it's probably too much for me to ask you two to get along, but maybe if i smile pretty? ;-D how about, "i know where you both live!" except i only know the general areas, so that won't work either. drat. did you at least smile?

seriously though, there's nothing wrong with whimsy and hope, or maybe i read kevin's post wrong, but i see no reason to dash it.

hugs for you BOTH, gosh dangit. *makes with the nice. gosh dangit*

my void does not want.

Re: *squint*  [message #18266 is a reply to message #18265] Tue, 09 December 2003 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Well, I see nothing wrong with whimsy and I certainly know about hope.

I am sorry if I see things in a realistic view. I am also sorry that I can't walk through life blowing love and kisses to all I encounter.

I am mostly sorry that I don't see some things like so many others here.

I guess if I fell into line and just blindly agreed with everything I would not be standing outside the clubhouse looking in.

I guess I am just not built that way.

Sorry....
marc...  [message #18267 is a reply to message #18266] Tue, 09 December 2003 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

you are *not* outside any clubhouse. and if you are, you're not the only one. i consider myself between "clubhouses," okay, and i'm only mentioning how i see it from one end. there are times when i agree with your end, too, and i have said so when i do, AND when i can see things from your side.

there is nothing wrong with blowing kisses and love to the world. there is also nothing wrong with realism. but it's like, if you think too much of thing A is not wise, or not your way, some think too much of thing B is the same. too much whimsy/hope vs. too much realism. NEITHER way is wrong, and that wasn't my point here at all.

i also didn't mean to trivialise your side of it. but just how you think too much of thing A might trivialise (or whatever word you wanna use) the way of things and how to approach life, and make comments to that effect, others do the same to your thing B. and i'm thing C. because i sit on the fence and i admit that. because i don't want to take sides, and refuse to, but i also don't like seeing friends hurt and wondering why everything they say SEEMS (key word there) to be attacked, nonchalant or otherwise. and i don't like seeing you thinking you're on the outside.

i know that when random person takes two seconds to smile at me in the halls, or a parkinglot, that makes me feel good and happy for the remainder of the day--because most keep their eyes down, or look past me, or look away, or look through me and don't smile at all. that ONE little whimsy/happy/hopeful effort makes ME smile, and makes ME smile at someone else, and want to make someone else feel that joy, even if just short-lived. spreading love/happiness/whatever you want to call that. i don't see that as bad, at all.

but add realism to that--i still am wary. the kid that attacked me at school, for instance, smiled at me twice before that happened. now i know to not just smile back at anyone without the notion in my head to watch myself. balance is good.

i don't know, now i'm rambling and making no sense. next time i'll just keep my mouth shut, instead of trying to get two people i knew at one time to be friends, to be friendly again.

/peace-keeping.

h.

my void does not want.

Re: marc...  [message #18268 is a reply to message #18267] Tue, 09 December 2003 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Realism vs. whimsy..... I think I shall have to opt fot the tangible real corporeal world as opposed to the etherical.

As far as hope goes... well I don't equate hope with whimsey on any level.

Blowing kisses can be counterproductive when the motions get in the way of real time issues. I also do not equate blowing kisses with compassion.

Life is about taking sides, making a stand for what you and yes even I believe in.

What other people percieve as an attack most often if a far cry from the reality of the situation.

When random person smiles at me in the halle I am more than likely to wonder what he/she wants to do to me. That is why I am never alone in the halls. If I find that I am about to be alone in the halls I leave for safer ground.

I may be cynical, but it was humankind that made me this way. When I do try, I get hurt. Every time. Every time...
icon9.gif Huff...  [message #18269 is a reply to message #18268] Wed, 10 December 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

I admit that life is no dream.
But what I do know is I don't know that much about your life,
so I can not say anything on that account - it is neither my right or place...
But there are those who have not had the same torment, those of us who have had a fairly decent life... And then there is everything in between.
I for one have had a fairly decent life, not easy, and I have had my share of problems... But I'm the one that smiles for no reason when I'm walking down the hall...

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
Re: Huff...  [message #18270 is a reply to message #18269] Wed, 10 December 2003 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Then you would be the one I would be wary of. Nothing personal, just a condition response.

I never said I didn't have a decent life. All in all with the exception of a few rather gnarly bubmp in the road my life has been rather exceptional. I've had the best education money can buy, lived in some interesting places, had some rewarding and innovative moments in my carreer.

Now I don't see what this has to do with dealing with realtime situations as opposed to fantasizing about things we have not ine iota of control over let alone any chance of changing any of it.

I am also not saying that hope is a bad thing, not at all. But to confuse hope with fantasy only clouds the real issues.
Re: Huff...  [message #18271 is a reply to message #18270] Wed, 10 December 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaman is currently offline  jaman

Likes it here

To note...
Many times, I say things without saying them.
All I meant to say was that I really do not know why you react the way you do... Whatever it is, it really has not affected me as much - or as strongly,
so I do not worry about it.

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me
Re: Huff...  [message #18272 is a reply to message #18269] Wed, 10 December 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

so am i. it's a bit disconcerting to know i'd be not trusted for no reason other than i happen to be happy that day, and smile. makes me wonder why i'd even bother if never appreciated, and why i bother now? and THIS is supposed to help make the world a better place?

and note, this is not an attack, this is just a musing. i've had a real shitty life. no worse than anyone else's hell that is their own, nor any better. but i have certainly had a decade that'd hardly constitute a personality willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt until meeting them or knowing them. maybe that makes me a fool, but i don't think blocking oneself off is the key here. i spent five years after a gang rape that lasted 2 months doing that, and it didn't get me any further than i am now, but at least i can have good days now.

oh well, though. to each their own, which IS what is fair, and as it should be. it does not make anyone any better, or worse. just different. it does mean i'll think twice about ever looking someone in the eye and giving them a smile, however. for all i know, they're thinking i'm psycho or something else, hehe! i get enough of that as it is. ::-)

my void does not want.

Re: Huff...  [message #18273 is a reply to message #18272] Wed, 10 December 2003 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

well, thats why I dont ever go into places I am not sure of. It is also why I dont ever go places alone.

I do what I have to do to get by.
Ohhhh---kaaaaay....  [message #18278 is a reply to message #18251] Wed, 10 December 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

Lemme get this (if you'll pardon the expression) straight.

Kevin had a nice fantasy about fixing something.

And then the rest of the posts are about the relative merits of fantasy versus reality?

Sheesh...

Fantasies are fun. Go for it.

I saw a stupid movie once, something about after death stop-over before moving on to the next life, or whatever. The really good people got to stay over in 5 star hotels, and the medium good people got a 3 star.

But the part I liked best was that you could eat anything you wanted, had no worries about bad food killing you, and nothing was fattening.

Gotta love THAT fantasy.
::-)

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
Re: Ohhhh---kaaaaay....  [message #18281 is a reply to message #18278] Wed, 10 December 2003 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I am so glad to have your 'by your leave'.

But I think I shall stick to reality.
Re: If I were King .....  [message #18284 is a reply to message #18242] Wed, 10 December 2003 11:46 Go to previous message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Now I shall explain just how the issues get clouded when relating a fantasy while firgetting the reality of the subject.

1. Any recognized church that did Marry gay couples, that marriage would have to also be recognized by the state. I have no problem with this.

2. Any couple not married in a church, like a Justice of the Peace, would be considered a Civil Union whether they were gay or straight. But this statement only serves to set up yet again another segment of the population into a pidgeon hole of segregation.

Kevin and I would have enjoyed the privilage of being married in a church but we couldn't. So we did what was available at the time. We ventured to Vermont and had a beautiful Civil Union performed. Yor fantasy Kevin my friend does nothing to further our situation and only serves to reenforce the fact that we are different.

As I have mentioned previously, hope is a good thing. I hope someday to be able to walk down the aisle with tha man I love. But I also dread the thought of being further encapsulated in a pocket of segregation.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Previous Topic: A twisted humour link!
Next Topic: Timmy, I have a question...
Goto Forum: