A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Justice vs Free Will
Justice vs Free Will  [message #18582] Tue, 16 December 2003 22:34 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Please stick to the precise question.

"If true justice exists, whereby every unjust action has an immediate negative effect on the person acting (theft means something of yours get stolen, stabbing means the knife turns on you, arson means your possessions get burnt) is free will possible, or do we for ever avoid (by not acting) the negative consequence?"

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Justice vs Free Will  [message #18587 is a reply to message #18582] Tue, 16 December 2003 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Just as in sex, where there are those willing to endure pain and/or humiliation there will be a segment of the population that would risk the immediate "retrebution" for the thril of committing the act.

For instance, theivery could logically be looked upon as a method of redecorating.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
icon12.gif Re: Justice vs Free Will  [message #18591 is a reply to message #18582] Tue, 16 December 2003 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

In this mythical perfect world you speak of, their would still exsist imperfect human beings. So you could count on people doing things contrary to their own well being.

Just the way I see it.

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Interesting......  [message #18604 is a reply to message #18591] Wed, 17 December 2003 07:23 Go to previous message
machelli is currently offline  machelli

Likes it here

However, some would argue that even in THIS world we have no free will, for if our actions are not merely random acts (which would be absurd) and we instead base each decision on a prior occurence then it only follows that every choice we made or make in life was or is pre-determined and, therefore, no one can be held morally responsible for his or her actions, whether beneficial or detrimental.

Though, in the instance you mentioned I believe - as has already been previously stated - that people would have just as much "free will" as they have in this world.

I have to ask, too, does this "balancing" effect occur on positive actions as well? Would everything that one does simply even itself out in the end? Just wondering.

viðrar vel til loftárása
Previous Topic: Problems (excuses, excuses, excuses)
Next Topic: liberation in livejournal.
Goto Forum: