A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > At what age should one plan to come out of the closet?
icon7.gif At what age should one plan to come out of the closet?  [message #19835] Thu, 19 February 2004 11:38 Go to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve

Really getting into it

I found a poll on a site for Israeli gay youth. (There's no point in giving the URL because the site is in Hebrew.) The poll is on the question: at what age should one come out of the closet. The following were the options:

By 40
By 30
By 20
Never
Closet? What's that?

It would be interesting to know the thoughts of people on this MB too.
Re: At what age should one plan to come out of the closet?  [message #19836 is a reply to message #19835] Thu, 19 February 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

There is no steadfast rule that one should be out of the closet by a certain age.

It is a personal choice regulated by each individual's personal set of circumstances.

This being the case, I will have to say never "should" someone be out of the closet.

But I do hope we all "can" be out of the closet.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
icon6.gif Hehe, I actually agree with you, Marc...  [message #19837 is a reply to message #19836] Thu, 19 February 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

There's no rule here, absolutely not. Last year, Sweden's representative to the UN, ex-French ambassador, ex-director of the department of foreign affairs and ex-cabinet secretary (amongst other things, no doubt), Sverker Åström, came out of the closet at age 87. He was henceforth elected Mr. Gay Sweden 2004, but I don't know if he has a boyfriend yet. Smile

-L

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
icon7.gif Re: At what age should one plan to come out of the closet?  [message #19847 is a reply to message #19835] Sun, 22 February 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Please do not make my answer into more than it is. It is only about my personal experience.

In my opinion the age to come out is NOW.

I only wish I had shed those lies earlier in my life. they caused me and the people that cared about me then so much pain. It's like buying a house, the best time is now because tomorrow it will be more expensive.

Just my two cents, all I could afford ... hehe.

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: At what age should one plan to come out of the closet?  [message #19858 is a reply to message #19847] Sun, 22 February 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I'd rephrase it and say "The time to think about coming out is NOW". Weigh up all the outcomes, the probability of each outcome and what kind of impact the outcomes will have on you and those around you. If I lived in Hicksville, a small village of 1000 people (all of whom are related) in Southern USA with a staunch Christian homophobic family, but next week I was going to be moving to San Francisco out of home to study, then I'd say 'next week' makes a lot more sense than 'now'.

I agree with both 'now' and 'when you are ready'. You need to be aware of the situation, but I think the sooner the better. As soon as possible without it being too much of a negative thing. Ultimately I think one should never need to come out, everyone should just be treated totally equally, assumed to be bisexual. Choice of partner gender should even need to be commented on, one shouldn't need to come out. Again that an over idealistic though and I'd be lucky to see society progress so far before I die.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: At what age should one plan to come out of the closet?  [message #19859 is a reply to message #19858] Sun, 22 February 2004 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Next week might be safe..... but I would make sure I had my schooling paid in advance before I came out.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: At what age should one plan to come out of the closet?  [message #19864 is a reply to message #19859] Mon, 23 February 2004 15:17 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

True, yet another consideration. Fortunately for me I'm already out and my schooling is paid for by the government (in a round about way), not my Mum, so even if she tried to stop being involved in that respect (which she wouldn't, despite not liking me being gay) she'd have no say. That's one of the big problems with capitalist governments, it forces people to rely on their parents a lot more, even if their parents are dicks.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: What if?
Next Topic: Time out! - - - - ReWind!
Goto Forum: