A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > "This Special Friendship"
"This Special Friendship"  [message #19867] Mon, 23 February 2004 22:49 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I had the chance at last to see this film last night. A young friend brought it with him to a weekend gathering. http://www.lib.unc.edu/house/mrc/films/full.php?film_id=307 reviews it. Haunting and harrowing

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: "This Special Friendship"  [message #19868 is a reply to message #19867] Mon, 23 February 2004 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ds is currently offline  ds

Getting started

I last saw that movie over 20 years ago. (A NFT 'gay' season.) I agree this is a great movie, but I wonder if its major appeal is for older people?

At one time the style was very much the standard, but the world has moved on. For better or worse? I'm not sure.

At the time I saw it I had already owned the novel for about 10 years, so was very interested in the 'realization' as much as anything else.

What format was this in? I would like to be able to buy a copy, if only for nostalgic reasons!
Re: "This Special Friendship"  [message #19869 is a reply to message #19868] Mon, 23 February 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Available at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-0477679-6086567

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: "This Special Friendship"  [message #19870 is a reply to message #19869] Tue, 24 February 2004 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Unfortunately that link appears to be broken in some way....
Thanks for attempting it though.
Re: "This Special Friendship"  [message #19871 is a reply to message #19869] Tue, 24 February 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

Very glad to see this classic black and white movie being talked about again! It's in French, as was perhaps mentioned, but the subtitling is fine and not intrusive, and the emotional ups and downs are communicated without any problem due to language at all!

A true heart-warmer and tear-jerker both.

I hope others can find it and tell us about their views...if only so that the repressive practices from those bad old days continue to be chipped away at now and in the future!

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
PS My copy is a VHS, NTSC version, but multi-system players  [message #19872 is a reply to message #19871] Tue, 24 February 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

are terrific for getting around geographical barriers, aren't they?

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
Re: "This Special Friendship"  [message #19873 is a reply to message #19870] Tue, 24 February 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Then go to Amazon.com..... search for This Special Friendship and you will get to the link.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: PS My copy is a VHS, NTSC version, but multi-system pla  [message #19874 is a reply to message #19872] Tue, 24 February 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Yes - if you have/can afford one!

All I have is a DVD player - I haven't so far bothered with a VHS player,
mostly on the cost/quality ratio. And a proper dual-standard one, with
buying a dual-standard TV is totaly OTT!

icon12.gif Sorry for seemind dense  [message #19882 is a reply to message #19874] Thu, 26 February 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

But what is OTT?

thanks

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: Sorry for seemind dense  [message #19883 is a reply to message #19882] Thu, 26 February 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It's like "ITT" who used at one time to make Teletypes. Another damned TLA.

Or it could mean "One True Testicle".

But it means "Over The Top"

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sorry for seemind dense  [message #19901 is a reply to message #19883] Fri, 27 February 2004 00:24 Go to previous message

Getting started

"Over the top" is indeed what I meant. Thanks timmy.

And, Kevin, sorry to use a 'TLA' that wan't obvious! Perhaps it is better
known in the UK?
Previous Topic: Drat drat drat....!!!!!!!!
Next Topic: Another Improvment of Gay Rights
Goto Forum: