A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > You only fall over when you UNDERbalance
icon12.gif You only fall over when you UNDERbalance  [message #20066] Mon, 08 March 2004 22:48 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Overbalancing means you stay upright

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon14.gif I disagree  [message #20067 is a reply to message #20066] Mon, 08 March 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

For a start Merriam-Webster site http://www.m-w.com lists the definition of 'overbalance' as follows:
Main Entry: overĀ·balĀ·ance
Pronunciation: "O-v&r-'ba-l&n(t)s
Function: transitive verb
1 : OUTWEIGH
2 : to cause to lose balance

Whereas they don't list underbalance at all, though I do think that is just a legitimate a word. The word over balance does not refer to staying upright, but rather to falling over in a forward manner. Think of someone on a unicycle, in my mind, if they put too much of their weight forward then they are overbalancing, whereas if they lean back too far, then they are underbalancing, balancing is actually the point where they stay upright.

As another example of a similar word, take 'over-rotate' as used in diving and such sports. When someone does 3.2 revolutions instead of 3 they are over-rotating, when they do 2.7 they are under-rotating. They have applied too much rotation in a forwards or backwards direction. Similarly when you overbalance you apply too much of a balancing motion in the forward direction. This leads me to conclude that most falling is the result of overbalancing, after all, how often do you see people trip on a step and go falling backwards? Sad)

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: I disagree  [message #20069 is a reply to message #20067] Tue, 09 March 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"over" is doing something too much. If you "overstay your welcome" you stay too much. Ergo overbalance is balancing too much, or remaining rigidly upright. A dictionary is no use. It lists comman parlance, not logic

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Re: I disagree  [message #20070 is a reply to message #20069] Tue, 09 March 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Over and Under when it comes to balance should only aply to a scale where overweighted and underweighted could be easily defined. The way I see it, many other uses are being applied improperly.

Just my two cents,

Kevin

P.S. Hope to see you on there soon Lenny!

:-*

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: I disagree  [message #20105 is a reply to message #20069] Thu, 11 March 2004 13:37 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Yes, it is a question of logic, agreed and as you say 'over' denotes excess.

If to balance is to stay upright then to overbalance would be to stay too upright? Wink I believe there is some name for that condition, but I can't for the life of me think what it is.

Back onto the actual discussion, though, 'over' to me, not only denotes excess, but it also denotes excess to the point where something becomes a NEGATIVE thing. Using your example, to 'overstay your welcome' is to stay too long; or to overcook something is to burn it; to overfill something, is to cause a waste of whatever it is that overflows. Following this same logic, overbalancing would have to denote something negative. If you aren't falling over due to overbalancing, then how does it become a negative thing? Hence, I can see the only possibility of overbalancing as to be falling over.

Also, what do you consider the definition of 'balance' as a verb, to me 'balance' indicates a process by which one reaches a point of absolute balance (noun). To balance (verb) is not to be absolutely stable, to balance is to wobble back and forth until you achieve a point where you are totally centered. In that sense over-balancing is in fact balancing too much, or wobbling too much and failing to meet the desired point of balance as a result.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: And now for something completely different....
Next Topic: Bloody good game
Goto Forum: