A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > United Queendom
United Queendom  [message #23345] Sat, 08 January 2005 23:02 Go to next message
nick is currently offline  nick

Likes it here

The British tabloid newspaper The Sun has attacked a British taxpayer-funded website aimed at attracting homosexual visitors to the UK, which trumpets the country as the “United Queendom”.

The website is published by VisitBritain — which replaced the British Tourist Authority — and which gets a £35 million Government grant every year.

The "Gay Britain" web page says: "Welcome to the United Queendom of Great Britain. With our proud gay history, cutting edge culture and fashion, flamboyant cities and pulsating nightlife, isn't it time you came out...to Britain!"

There are links to Gay Events and gay pages for four British cities.

The paper quotes Conservative MP James Gray as saying: “The notion that we are promoting Britain as a pick-up joint is very distasteful. I am most perturbed if taxpayers’ money is being used to encourage that.”

It also quotes Shadow Culture Secretary John Whittingdale who said: “It seems to be a very strange sense of priorities to be devoting large sums of money to a scheme like this.”

Defending the website, a spokesman for the Department of Culture said: “VisitBritain has identified a commercial opportunity in the key market of the pink pound.”

You can view the site at: http://www.visitbritain.com/VB3-en-US/experiences/gay/index.aspx
Re: United Queendom  [message #23351 is a reply to message #23345] Mon, 10 January 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trick is currently offline  trick

Getting started

thats why i don't read the sun or vote tory
Re: United Queendom  [message #23365 is a reply to message #23345] Tue, 11 January 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joesdog is currently offline  joesdog

Likes it here

Hmmm..."proud gay history"...not exactly a phrase i would associate with the UK. Or the US, for that matter.

cheers

aj

"I promise not to try not to fuck with your mind/ I promise not to mind if you go your way and i go mine/promise not to lie if i'm looking you right in your eye/promise not to try not to let you down."
--Eve6
Re: United Queendom  [message #23366 is a reply to message #23345] Tue, 11 January 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This is totally tasteless. It categorises me as a queen. I feel dirty and sullied now. I shall be adding my own complaint to them

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
They replied  [message #23369 is a reply to message #23366] Wed, 12 January 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Thank you for your email.

We do apologise for any offense the website has caused. I shall certainly pass your comments on to our Web Editor / Internet Department. The websites is regularly reviewed and I am certain these comments will be take in to consideration.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions or call our toll free number 1-800-462-2748 to speak to one of our experienced travel consultants.

Once again, we do apologise for any offense caused.

With Kind Regards,

Fiona Morse
VisitBritain
551 Fifth Avenue #701
New York City
New York
T: 1800 462 2748
F: 212 986 1188
E: travelinfo@visitbritain.org
W: http://www.visitbritain.com/usa

Leading the World to Britain

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: They replied  [message #23370 is a reply to message #23369] Thu, 13 January 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SkylorWriter is currently offline  SkylorWriter

Toe is in the water

I try not to concern myself with tasteless attempts to down any person, but I find it more of comical. New York, How funny.

Time is lifes currency, spend it well.
Re: They replied  [message #23372 is a reply to message #23370] Thu, 13 January 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

I don't understand....

Why is a referance to New York in the reply funny?

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
icon14.gif And have now edited the website  [message #23373 is a reply to message #23369] Thu, 13 January 2005 16:04 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

They just emailed me to tell me that "United Queendom" has been rmeoved. And it has. I do not expect I was the actual cause of their change if mind, but I am sure I was a contributor. Water dripping in a stone erodes rock very surely. I have written to thank them

Begins:
The website has now been changed, and the phrases you refered to removed. If you click the link you provided to me (below) you will be able to see the new format. Again please accept our apologies. Offence was certainly never our intention.

If I can help you futher please do get in touch.

Regards,

Fiona Morse
VisitBritain
551 Fifth Avenue #701
New York City
New York

T: 1800 462 2748
F: 212 986 1188
E: travelinfo@visitbritain.org
W: http://www.visitbritain.com/usa

Leading the World to Britain

Previous Topic: Progress
Next Topic: Does anyone know????
Goto Forum: