A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Something really good happened today
Something really good happened today  [message #23886] Tue, 08 March 2005 18:03 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I met online for totally different reasons and in my real name, someone from my son's old school, who has found this site useful both now and while at school.

He'd surfed on in, I suppose, and found something to stay for. Never posted, but lurked on the board, and found the site resources of some use in his teenage quest to find out who he is.

His name is confidential between him and me. That's as it should be. It's his confidence to break, not mine. It just feels really good to know that I have helped, we have helped, "a stranger" and to be told so.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Hi  [message #23887 is a reply to message #23886] Tue, 08 March 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Ha! Well, that's practically an invitation to post, so I'll introduce myself and try not to sound too embarrassed. Very Happy

I'm 20 years old and from the UK. I don't know Tim in real life, but I have probably passed within metres of him several times without knowing that he and this site's webmaster are one and the same. I've lurked here for ages and ages, ever since I found the site when I was still at school.

I'll just add that it's not *quite* my first ever post here. I did post a "hello" a very long time ago, and I talked to some people from round here so it's possible that a couple of you might remember me.

Hi!

David
Re: Hi  [message #23888 is a reply to message #23887] Tue, 08 March 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I like the idea of "practically an invitation", you know. Actually the board has been practically an invitation for all time Smile

The reason we're all here is because we all have issues. Some of us don't look as though we do. Others wear our issues on our sleeves. It's no big deal either way.

The thing that seems to happen here is that we work through our issues and decide what to do about them. It can take a while. It never happens overnight.

You have passed within metres of me. Actually we've even talked to each other Surprised ::-) Quite a long conversation at the start of or at the end of one term. Must have been a winter term because it was dark. And I have no idea what we talked about either.

Welcome home, David.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
I think I found you  [message #23889 is a reply to message #23887] Tue, 08 March 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have a feeling that http://forum.iomfats.org/w-agora/index.php?site=forumiomfatsorg&bn=forumiomfatsorg_placeofsafety&key=1050016972&action=view is you. I wish you'd stayed. Please stay now. I know oyu've lurked. I think I mean stayed and joined in.

Re: Hi  [message #23890 is a reply to message #23887] Tue, 08 March 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thirdfencepost is currently offline  thirdfencepost

Really getting into it

*waves* welcome david

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
icon14.gif Re: I think I found you  [message #23891 is a reply to message #23889] Tue, 08 March 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Yes, that would be me. I don't think I'd ever posted on a web forum before, so wasn't quite sure how much committment it might take. I'd know about the site before then, but only discovered that it had an attached discussion board on that day.

I'll do my best to stay - it all suddenly seems much less alien now that I know who is running the board. The anonymity of the internet means that one feels much less obliged to join in, as one doesn't mean anything to anyone. I feel I have more obligation now, and that's a good thing.
Re: Hi  [message #23892 is a reply to message #23888] Wed, 09 March 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

I can think of at least four major issues concerning me, so it sounds like I am at the right place. Maybe I'll elaborate on some of them when I know everyone round here better.

I feel so guilty that I don't remember talking to you, Timmy. I hope I didn't leave an adverse impression - I've never been terribly good at talking to other people. Hopefully I can remedy that.

David

P.S. Out of interest, without being too specific, at what point did you realise you knew who I was?
Re: Hi  [message #23893 is a reply to message #23892] Wed, 09 March 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I saw your name in your non anonymous email address. I guessed at once because it is not a hugely usual name. Well except in your family I think Smile There are about 48 of you with the same fore and surnames I remember!

"Alphonse Prendergast XVII" stand out in any crowd you know

At length I checked out the website behind the domain. That made it kind of easy. The full realisation was today when I did that.

And why would you remember me? Your circle of friends is far more important than some random father delivering som erandom son (Well actually a totally hot slim blond son, truth to tell and no I don't mind if you lusted after him or not - quite a few peole have, of both genders)! And the impression was simple. "Nice chap, interesting opinions" Though I'm damned if I can remember what about.

I remember hearing you had bouts of depression and stuff. I remember thinking then "I wish I could help him, there is something astray in his life" and having no idea how to. It turns out I was all the time, in a way. Or WE were.

icon7.gif Hi David!  [message #23894 is a reply to message #23887] Wed, 09 March 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nick is currently offline  nick

Likes it here

Welcome from a fellow Brit.

Nice to have you with us!
icon7.gif Re: Hi  [message #23895 is a reply to message #23887] Wed, 09 March 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yourbestgayfriend is currently offline  yourbestgayfriend

Likes it here

Welcome David, from a middle aged guy (yes, gay and with kids) in the U.S. !!!!!

Like you I stumbled on this website, and it has been so much help and at times so much fun... the stories... the gab... the links and background...

I hope you find this a true "Place of Safety" and can feel free to share your life with us if you need.

Again, welcome !!!!!

BamBam

Celebrate your life... embrace your love... Become intimate with your place in forever !!!
Re: Hi  [message #23897 is a reply to message #23893] Wed, 09 March 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Ah. That makes sense.

I'm most impressed that you took enough interest in your son's school life to know so much about me - not only my name and who I am, but right down to the sort of things I'm interested in and the lineage behind my name. I never realised I was famous! Very Happy

David
icon7.gif Hi, David :-)  [message #23898 is a reply to message #23887] Wed, 09 March 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

It's good that you have decided to stay. A very warm welcome from an aging Brit ex-pat. Let me assure you that Timmy is one of the most charming and caring people I have ever had the privilege to meet. It is with a great deal of pride that I consider him one of my true friends. So, David, stay with us: benefit from our postings when appropriate and contribute when you can.

(BTW - that's some school you went to!)

PS I wish you all the luck in the world.

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Hi  [message #23903 is a reply to message #23897] Wed, 09 March 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

At the time I thought it nomrla to be interested in stuff like that. It's only now that I discover I was unusual. But I never had much truck with the other parents. So many of them seemed pointless and too wrapped up in their own lives even to see that their sons had lives and challenges.

There were quite a few boys in a mess there. Not unlike any school, of course. But unlike many schools the parents seemed to ignore it all.

icon6.gif Hiya David  [message #23907 is a reply to message #23887] Wed, 09 March 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

Very nice to make your acquaintance Very Happy I live across the ocean in the land of hide & go seek. I'm glad you decided to stay awhile.

{{{hugs}}}
smith
Re: Hiya David  [message #23913 is a reply to message #23907] Wed, 09 March 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trick is currently offline  trick

Getting started

hi david glad you decided to post here
its a great place with great people
stick around you'll like it. dickle
Hiya David  [message #23931 is a reply to message #23913] Fri, 11 March 2005 08:34 Go to previous message
SkylorWriter is currently offline  SkylorWriter

Toe is in the water

Hey Davey, I'll send you some taco flavoured kisses from the U.S. on behalf of all of us here at timmy's site. :-*:-* :-* :-*

Time is lifes currency, spend it well.
Previous Topic: Safety and common sense
Next Topic: the fine line between patients and medical workers..
Goto Forum: