A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Need help
Need help  [message #24246] Sat, 07 May 2005 02:52 Go to next message
thirdfencepost is currently offline  thirdfencepost

Really getting into it

Ok you guys, I need some answers by let's say Sunday night. ANyone here go to prom. If so, did you enjoy it, didn't you enjoy it, what did you do, did you have a date, hmmm?I need answers then lastly would I enjoy prom. Please please please everyone who has gone answer me.

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
Re: Need help  [message #24247 is a reply to message #24246] Sat, 07 May 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Aww come one guys, even if you didn't go to prom. Tell me why you didn't go!!

Re: Need help  [message #24249 is a reply to message #24247] Sat, 07 May 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

We didn't have Prom here in the UK back in the '70's (although it's started to come in over the past ten years or so, but is still by no means universal). So I didn't go 'cos there wasn't one.

If there had been, I expect I would have gone - just because I was heavily involved in the disco / music / lighting scene (best mobile disco in the city), and would expect to have been hired to do some part of the gig! Otherwise, I absolutely would not have gone - I despised any activity even remotely connected with school, or organised by guys from school (except for the 3 other guys involved in the disco).

All of which is not much help to you, I know ... but I do think that if it is a formal affair its worth getting one's first "black tie" (tux) event over with as young as possible. I've had a few colleagues in their thirties and forties come to me in a state of panic for advice about their first invitation to a formal ball!

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Need help  [message #24250 is a reply to message #24247] Sat, 07 May 2005 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Well, seeing as you asked.......

I didn't go to my prom because I was ordered not to attend.

Not that it really mattered to me because I didn't feel as if I was a part of the student body on any level.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Need help  [message #24251 is a reply to message #24246] Sat, 07 May 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brian! is currently offline  brian!

Likes it here

Oh, man, that was a loooonnnngggg time ago.

I went, wasn't with who I wanted to, but at least I went.

We did dinner, and dancing. Then we had after prom plans.
Which was a movie and bowling. Don't think we got home til
6am.

It's mostly slow songs, but nowadays it's prolly the music
you don't like.

Thinking about it, I don't think I enjoyed the actual prom,
I did enjoy the after prom stuff though.

Brian

To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.
Re: Need help  [message #24252 is a reply to message #24246] Sun, 08 May 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Andy, over the years I have been to many proms. They were mostly wonderful orchestral concerts at London's Royal Albert Hall - "promenade concerts". Somehow, I don't think that you are talking about the same kind of prom. Sorry I can't help you. If your "prom" is something different perhaps you could share with us the reasons for your hesitation.

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Need help  [message #24253 is a reply to message #24252] Sun, 08 May 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Hahaha! No prom, is this big thing at myschool for seniors and its like a big dance and everyone gets all dressed up. Tux sort of occasion ya know. But its a lot of people, and I don't like to dance with them, cuz thats not my style... Plus I get really nervous, because I'd be totally out of my normal element. SO I dunno. A bunch of my friends are going though...

Re: Need help  [message #24254 is a reply to message #24253] Mon, 09 May 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trick is currently offline  trick

Getting started

go for it dude.i've been to a few of them and don't
know if i danced at any of them.just use it as an excuse to go out and have a blast with your friends.
the night is what you and your friends make it not what
the prom makes it so have a ball dude.as for the nerves
yeah i still get them (even writing on here) just try to go past them and they slip away.dickle
Re: Need help  [message #24255 is a reply to message #24253] Mon, 09 May 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Andy wrote:

>>But its a lot of people, and I don't like to dance with them, cuz thats not my style... Plus I get really nervous, because I'd be totally out of my normal element. SO I dunno. A bunch of my friends are going though...<<

Andy, you yourself have given very good reasons why not to go! Why do something that you will not enjoy doing? I would only do that if there was some compelling reason to do so, which doesn't sound like your situation.

If the consideration behind "a bunch of my friends are going" is that you feel a social need not to be different from the others - BE DIFFERENT! Be yourself! On the other hand, if you meant that since your friends are going it might be fun after all - give it a try!

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Need help  [message #24257 is a reply to message #24246] Mon, 09 May 2005 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

OK....... I've been mulling this question over and I have a couple of questions myself....

Are you uncomfortable or nervous because of something in you or is it because of them (everyone else there)? If it is the "Its going to be terrible because I am gay and this is a huge str8 affair and they will all know and they will all point and make fun of me"..... then read below...

You say you have a group of friends going and would have a good time with them.... If that is truly the case and you do indeed have a small mobile support group then I think you should go and have fun.... If you don't you will always wonder what it would have been like.... If I had had that choice to make I would have done it.

Go... have fun... and take lots of pics...

Marc.......

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Need help  [message #24261 is a reply to message #24246] Mon, 09 May 2005 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davethegnome is currently offline  davethegnome

Likes it here

I enjoyed prom my senior year. I went with a good friend as friends. She was my neighbor too. We went with a group of friends as well. I went to a small school (115 in my graduating class) and so I knew almost everyone there. It was fun because I could dance in a non-serious fashion with these people. Plus they had a wonderful cheese plate on the refreshments table and I found my love of fontina there. I say if you are comfortable around these people then you might as well go. It's easier to go and then maybe not have the much fun than not go and regret not going because there is the uncertainty of whether or not you would have liked it. That is my advice to you. I hope this isn't too late in coming because you said sunday night and that could have been last night(depending on which sunday you were talking about).

It's always the old to lead us to the war
It's always the young to fall
Now look at all we've won with the sabre and the gun
Tell me is it worth it all
~Phil Ochs "I Aint Marching Anymore"
Re: Need help  [message #24272 is a reply to message #24246] Fri, 13 May 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Hi Andy!

Hmm... well, I've also not been to a prom as such, living in the UK, though we did have at school occasional "dances" with girls from other schools. (I was at an all-boys boarding school.) They were, without exception, terrible: the girls would end up standing at one end of the room, the boys at the other end, and that would be how it would be for most of the evening. A few people might try and "pull a bird", but no-one (as far as I know) ever established a lasting relationship from one of those evenings.

I used to dread them. Even the people who were straight didn't enjoy them much.

I guess it's different if you actually know the people you are at the prom with! I only have a rather sketchy idea of what a prom actually is (mostly from American television and movies) so you can probably disregard everything I have just said. Very Happy

David
Re: Need help  [message #24308 is a reply to message #24272] Sun, 15 May 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joesdog is currently offline  joesdog

Likes it here

Hey andy--

my advice is this: go with a group of friends. Don't sweat the "I have to have a date for prom" thing. Just think of it as a chance to dress up and go out with a bunch of friends and hang out. dance if you want to, but ignore the pressure.

cheers!

aj

"I promise not to try not to fuck with your mind/ I promise not to mind if you go your way and i go mine/promise not to lie if i'm looking you right in your eye/promise not to try not to let you down."
--Eve6
Re: Need help  [message #24324 is a reply to message #24253] Mon, 16 May 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sk is currently offline  sk

Getting started

I’d say go for it. I was in the same situation last year ... should I go or stay at home ... in the end I didn’t go but a load of friends went and had a great time. Most of them went as just a group of friends with no dates and those that did have a date spent the night with their mates. I didn’t go because at the time I didn’t think I would enjoy it, I’ve never really liked school social events ‘cause I always feel out of place at them and it’s just not my idea of fun. But I wish I had of gone now, partly because the reasons I came up with for not going seem pretty rubbish now, but mostly because I missed out on a great night out with my friends, not a night out with the rest of the year, but my good friends from school.

You’ve already given the best reason to go … a bunch of your friends are going … go and have a good time with them. If you don’t go you’ll always wonder what it would have been like, I know I certainly do.

"I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality."
Re: Need help  [message #24328 is a reply to message #24308] Mon, 16 May 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hinch1 is currently offline  hinch1

Getting started

I didn't go to my prom for a few reasons. First, I had no date. I'm pretty gay and there wasn't a guy to take with me. Not that I was "out" to my grad class. Or the general school population at the time.

Secondly, I wasn't exactly friends with my grad class. It's strange, they all made a big deal when I said I wasn't going, like it'd make a difference if I did...and that was coming from the people that harassed and belittled me for 3 or 4 years previous. Okay, maybe they are more mature now, but I can hold a grudge for a while. No thanks.

Thirdly, all my friends are younger than me, and therefor not going to my prom. So I chose to, instead, be with the friends who love me rather than the grad class who only like me now on the merit that I am in their grad class.

But dude, if your friends are going go for it! Have fun.

In Pride,
--Hinch
icon5.gif so...... You're going, right?  [message #24373 is a reply to message #24246] Fri, 20 May 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am now mildly confuzzled!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Need help  [message #24375 is a reply to message #24246] Fri, 20 May 2005 08:09 Go to previous message
jamessavik is currently offline  jamessavik

Getting started

No- I didn't go to the prom. For the same reason I didn't do much other than play football. I couldn't hit people when they smarted off.

You see, I was one of those kids your Mom wouldn't let you hang with because I was dangerous and disturbed.

The crowd that I hung with at the time decided that we would have a much better time camping out in the country. A dozen of us took a keg of beer, a couple ounces of weed, some ludes and whatever other drugs we could scrounge, got wasted and had an orgy.

We had a much better time than we would have being hasseled all night by suspicious facility members and we didn't have to rent a tux.

-JS

------------------------------------------------------------------------

disclaimer: don't try this at home kids. in my day you could get a ticket for having weed. now there are mandatory minimums. damn republican asswipes.
Previous Topic: Hello All
Next Topic: Something important to me.......
Goto Forum: