A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Wondering
Wondering  [message #32104] Tue, 16 May 2006 18:02 Go to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Could anyone here write me a 60-90 second film story based around the following restrictions:

- one set (a sitting room or office)
- a lighting setup that gradually turns from day to night, via sunset
- one actor (male or female, two if I can't do it with just one)

I'm shooting a cinematographic exercise next week on real, live 16mm film (ohsoexpensive) and, while I'll spend most of the time fiddling with technical things, I would like to direct an actor and make it into a "real" film.

Most likely it'll have to be on a theme of something like "Waiting", because the action will take place over 4 hours or so. But waiting for what?

It could be just the first two minutes of a longer story, but it would have to be relatively self-contained too.

Any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

David
Re: Wondering  [message #32105 is a reply to message #32104] Tue, 16 May 2006 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Oh, and I'll post it on this board eventually, assuming that the camera doesn't destroy the film or something (it may do, 'cos I've not put real film through it yet).

David
Re: Wondering  [message #32106 is a reply to message #32104] Tue, 16 May 2006 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pimple is currently offline  pimple

Likes it here

Greetings Deej

I have always thought that a short film shot from the prospective of the security camera/entry buzzer in a large apartment entry hall might be interesting if the conversation were witty enough.

Single camera placement with keyhole or fisheye effect.

Squawk box dialogue with high likelihood of misunderstanding could be fun.

Your thoughts?

Regards-
Simon

Joy Peace and Tranquility

Joyceility
Re: Wondering  [message #32107 is a reply to message #32106] Tue, 16 May 2006 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Simon

I love the idea!

Only problem is, I'm very restricted in camera placement because of the sheer weight of the thing, and I need to use conventional techniques because having only 6 minutes of film (4 after stopping and starting the camera, etc.) is not a good time to start experimenting!

Have you considered making a story out of it?

David
Re: Wondering  [message #32116 is a reply to message #32104] Tue, 16 May 2006 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Waiting for Godot has been done an immense number of differnet ways. I forget which tramp suggests it, but an ending of "hanging one's self" was suggested.

After 4 hours of waiting, that seems like a logical(!) ending

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Wondering  [message #32119 is a reply to message #32116] Tue, 16 May 2006 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Waiting is perhaps not quite the right word. You can carry out the same task in the same room for four hours and not be waiting for anything (apart, perhaps from yourself to finish whatever task it is you are doing).

The audience would only be able to see 15 second snippets of those four hours; or, alternatively, a few seconds of time passing very quickly followed by a short scene at one particular time -- or vice versa.

David
Re: Wondering  [message #32121 is a reply to message #32104] Wed, 17 May 2006 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davethegnome is currently offline  davethegnome

Likes it here

Could have the person waiting for something that isn't actually revealed perhaps. Could show lots of pacing and looking at a watch with building frustration. Maybe have a ticking in the background.

Could nix the "waiting for an abstract event: idea and resolve the waiting by having somebody show up at the end, perhaps a delivery boy or a friend person. The resolution could also bring about an instantaneous change in mood that doesn't indicate the previous level of frustration.
In my head this is done with a fixed camera position and grainy black and white film.

Sorry I watch the Independant Film Channel waaaay too much.

It's always the old to lead us to the war
It's always the young to fall
Now look at all we've won with the sabre and the gun
Tell me is it worth it all
~Phil Ochs "I Aint Marching Anymore"
Clicks tocking  [message #32122 is a reply to message #32121] Wed, 17 May 2006 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

>Could have the person waiting for something that isn't actually revealed perhaps. Could show lots of pacing and looking at a watch with building frustration. Maybe have a ticking in the background.

Indeed it could. The problem is, I want more back story than simply "a person waiting for something or someone" (even if we are told at the end). Otherwise the action seems flat and lifeless -- you'd have difficuly empathising. On the other hand, if you know (for example) that his wife is having a baby, or his mother is having an operation, or even (dramatic irony -- the audience knows but he does not) that the person he is waiting for has just been killed in a car accident, then suddenly you have real dramatic tension (provided it is well directed) and not just "film school" tension (ticking clocks, etc., to denote the passage of time).

Unfortunately, there's a reason there are no great one minute films -- you can't get to know the characters properly, and that is what (both dramatically and critically) is key to a good film.

I think I'm getting a bit serious here. Sorry for lecturing to no-one in particular! Thanks for your ideas, David.

David
Re: Wondering  [message #32123 is a reply to message #32104] Wed, 17 May 2006 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

David, this is just an idea for you (or anyone else) to play around with.

A person (doesn't matter whether man or woman) is sitting by a telephone, waiting for a call. It transpires that this call is about a life or death situation. The person waiting is torn between the two possible messages that the expected phone call will bring: they can't make up their minds whether they want this person to live or die. The film ends with the phone ringing.

Not the greatest, I know, but I really do want to help you if I can.

Good luck, anyway.

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Wondering  [message #32124 is a reply to message #32123] Wed, 17 May 2006 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Funnily enough, I'd already come up with almost exactly the same situation on my own. Except, this time, the character was wondering whether or not to make the call -- or, every time he did, the line is engaged, or it leads to an answering machine.

I guess there are only a limited number of things you can do with a single actor in a single room. I suppose comedy works much better for films of that length, because there's a punchline that takes the place of the emotional climax, which would take more time to set up.

David
Re: Clicks tocking  [message #32137 is a reply to message #32122] Thu, 18 May 2006 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"film school tension" summed up my idea quite well.

Your lectures are always interesting. There is no need to apologize.

Re: Wondering  [message #32138 is a reply to message #32124] Thu, 18 May 2006 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I like the, "trying t odecide whether or not to make a phone call" idea.

Re: Wondering  [message #32139 is a reply to message #32138] Thu, 18 May 2006 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Yup, I'm running with it at the moment to see what it brings up.

David
Re: Wondering  [message #32140 is a reply to message #32104] Fri, 19 May 2006 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Good grief... hard to believe I've spent the last six hours developing a one minute script!

Why haven't I gone to bed?

Come to think of it, why am I posting this?
Re: Wondering  [message #32145 is a reply to message #32140] Fri, 19 May 2006 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

Because your sweet, really cute, and adorable.
Re: Wondering  [message #32148 is a reply to message #32145] Fri, 19 May 2006 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Flattery will get you everywhere with me, Brian. Smile
Now, now, Brian ....  [message #32153 is a reply to message #32148] Sat, 20 May 2006 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

... no public declarations of affection in front of your grandfather!

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Re: Now, now, Brian ....  [message #32160 is a reply to message #32153] Sat, 20 May 2006 17:05 Go to previous message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Here grandfather have another malt while me and Deeej go play.;-D

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Previous Topic: A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
Next Topic: Camilot
Goto Forum: