A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I was wondering?
I was wondering?  [message #32157] Sat, 20 May 2006 09:28 Go to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

What do you keep on your desk?

Now, I don't mean "computer desktop" .........

I mean on the desk itself........

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: I was wondering?  [message #32158 is a reply to message #32157] Sat, 20 May 2006 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pimple is currently offline  pimple

Likes it here

Greetings

An antique pencil sharpener (although all my pencils are now mechanical)
A block of notes, a BIG block, from a steamship company that no longer exists.
My favorite glass paperweight.

You?

Regards
Simon

Joy Peace and Tranquility

Joyceility
Re: I was wondering?  [message #32162 is a reply to message #32157] Sat, 20 May 2006 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Apart from all the usual computer stuff (cable router / wireless link / spare blank CDs and DVDs, etc)

Mug of coffee

Antique ivory letter opener which beonged to my great-grandmother,
a couple of fountains pens, bottle of black ink,
picture of my sort-of-ex- with the cats when they were tiny kittens,
and, all too often, one of the now-elderly cats waving her tail over the keyboard and dribbling onto whatever paperwork I'm currently engaged on.

As of 16th March, I no longer have or require an ashtray on the desk ...

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: I was wondering?  [message #32163 is a reply to message #32157] Sat, 20 May 2006 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Besides my computer and note pad I keep my dragon collection

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Re: I was wondering?  [message #32164 is a reply to message #32157] Sat, 20 May 2006 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tBP is currently offline  tBP

Likes it here

hmmm... well, monitor, printer, speakers, mouse, keyboard webcam, mirror, torch, mug, telephone, notepad, £5 Trafalgar Coin, and the Oxford Handbook of Criminology

along with assorted and varying other books and papers depending on what i'm currently working on

Odi et amo: quare id faciam, fortasse requiris.
Nescio, set fieri sentio et excrucior
Re: I was wondering?  [message #32165 is a reply to message #32164] Sat, 20 May 2006 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

OK....

from left to right......

Upper level
Fax machine, to do list, answering machine, razor knife, curved dental tool, 1/2 meter stick, lamp, my friend Rose's cell #, my rolex watch, a cape cod tooth pick holder shaped like a milk can, my sheriff's badge, a picture of my Kevy, my seiko watch (needs battery.... i must remember to bring it in), my national zoo panda stein full of highlighters & a letter opener & 3 pairs of scissors and a calculator hanging on it's side.

Lower level
dennison sticky labels, 5x7 steno pads, floppy disc file, program discs stapele gun, tape dispensor, box of staples, my jade belt buckle given to me by the an old old friend, tarot card deck, pile of bills stacked in order of pay date, postit note pad,

tuen of a corner,
computer monitor and keyboard,

Upper level, speaker, referance books, CD collection of loungs music, hula dancer doll, yowling monkey doll, whicker wrapped beer bottle, more referance books, video editing equipment, 2- way radios, the other speaker, stack of business carfds for the local PFLAG group, alot more books, 2 pictures of mumsie taken in 1992, zippy discs and floppy discs, computer tower, bottle of herbal mix from my Indian shamman.

Turns corner,
Top level,
50 or so computer related referance books

Cubbie holes below, 2 video cameras and 3 still cameras, gadget drawers, computer monitor and keyboard, to do files for websites, computer tower.

Turns corner,
computer tower, printer, keyboard and monitor....

oh..... and several dozen take out menu's from around town strewn about in a disorderly fashion.....

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: I was wondering?  [message #32166 is a reply to message #32162] Sat, 20 May 2006 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

NW wrote:
>
> As of 16th March, I no longer have or require an ashtray on the desk ...

That is indeed great news....

keep up the good work....

Re: I was wondering?  [message #32167 is a reply to message #32166] Sat, 20 May 2006 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Marc wrote:

> keep up the good work....

Thanks, Marc. Actually, today marks a bit of a milestone. I was on a course today for gay men, and went on afterwards to a bar with several of the guys (who I didn't know before meeting them today). This is the first time I've been in a bar environment with a smoker since I gave up, and I'm pretty pleased with myself that I didn't give way to the temptation to ask for a smoke (actually, I'm also pretty impressed that I resisted the temptation to follow one of the rather attractive smokers outside during breaks in the course ...).

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: I was wondering?  [message #32168 is a reply to message #32167] Sun, 21 May 2006 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

On a course for gay men?????

I never thought of that..... I bet it is great fun.....

Is it kind of like fox hunting? Or more like a scavenger hunt?

Re: I was wondering?  [message #32169 is a reply to message #32157] Sun, 21 May 2006 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Nothing really interesting:

Top level (from left to right):

stack of notepaper for scribbling notes; envelopes; mobile (soon to be removed from there); webcam; connector cables for mobile/PC and digi-camera/PC; switchbox (between computer #1 and laptop); modem; microphone; router; VoB telephone.

Lower level (from left to right):

wristwatch (which will soon be on my wrist); monitor (sunken into desk); cradle for wireless mouse; box containing credit-card stubs; laptop.

Lowest level:

Keyboard; mouse.

(Underneath my desk is the tower of computer #1 and hanging above my desk is a hand-embroidered framed 'devotional' sent to me as a present from a very dear friend. Since he is a regular contributor to this forum I shall not embarrass him by naming him.)

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: I was wondering?  [message #32174 is a reply to message #32168] Sun, 21 May 2006 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

(that made me laugh so much that the cat sitting on my lap got uncomfortable and stalked off in disgust!)

Actually, a one-day session on creating and maintaining friendships (including stuff about what kinds of friends, renegotiating friendships when situations change, understanding a bit more about the dynamics of friendships, etc). Really useful to me, as I've had to accept that I'm no longer able to get out and do things with friends nearly as much as I used to be able to, and am having to have a serious look at the way many of my friendships work.

Funded indirectly by the government, through a local AIDS/Health charity ... part of an overall health strategy based on the idea that happy / well-adjusted / well-informed gay guys may be rather less likely to have risky "comfort/need" type sex.

But, since you mentioned it, there were a couple of guys on the course who could be well worth chasing ... and one guy who is a casual acquaintance who has intermittently been chasing me (not my type)...

My desk/shelves/bed  [message #32181 is a reply to message #32157] Sun, 21 May 2006 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Computer case, monitor, speakers, headphones, a ream of A4, a mini fridge, a desk lamp, a keyboard, a mouse, a stapler, a telephone, blank DVDs, and on the shelf above, an external DVD writer, two hard disks, an ADSL router, a wireless access point, a stack of DVDs, a dozen or so books, blank CDs, and some screwdrivers.

This is my desk at university -- I tend to have a lot more electronic equipment and bits of computer on my desk at home.

When I'm working, reference books, copies of essays, etc. At the moment they are piled on my bed, to be transferred to my chair when I go to bed.

Dyer, Richard. The matter of images: essays on representations
Dyer, Richard. The culture of queers
Out in culture: gay, lesbian, and queer essays on popular culture
Sanderson, Terry. Mediawatch : the treatment of male and female homosexuality in the British media
Sinfield, Alan. Gay and after.
Sinfield, Alan. Out on stage : lesbian and gay theatre in the twentieth century

These all as starting points for my dissertation proposal, which will run on something like the following lines:

"A critical examination of depictions of homosexuality in recent British television and film drama"

(They've asked me not to cover newspapers, as the relevant tutor is not familiar with print media.)

Incidentally, my parents are rather upset about my choice of dissertation. It seems they have no objection to my sexuality, provided

i. I make no reference to boyfriends or acquiring boyfriends (quite easy as I haven't had any yet)
ii. that I don't make any reference to the subject, either academically or socially
iii. that I pretend that there's an equal chance that I'll settle down with a woman (there's a small chance, but not, probably, an equal one)
iv. that I don't mind that they have dark conversations on the subject when I'm not in the room, and supposedly can't hear them

Their main criticism seems to be that I find the whole thing a colossal joke (which I don't) -- I'm obviously writing this essay to annoy them. Also that this will taint my career, because I'll be blacklisted as soon as all prospective employers realise what I wrote my undergraduate (undergraduate!) dissertation on.

Not a good afternoon.

David
Re: My desk/shelves/bed  [message #32183 is a reply to message #32181] Sun, 21 May 2006 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Sorry, Marc -- the second half of that post isn't really relevant to the thread. I'll copy it to my own thread.

David
Re: I was wondering?  [message #32185 is a reply to message #32157] Sun, 21 May 2006 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

A picture is worth a thousand words. My desk.
Re: I was wondering?  [message #32186 is a reply to message #32185] Sun, 21 May 2006 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

That is just tooooooooooooo much!!! LOL.....

Almost like room service.....

I love the big jug in the corner...... do you save loose change in it? Kevy and I have one too and he puts pennies in it.

Re: My desk/shelves/bed  [message #32187 is a reply to message #32183] Sun, 21 May 2006 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Nothing to be sorry about..... I never believed in the sovereignty of threads and I never will......

Conversation, by it's very nature can ebb and flow as thoughts come to life.

I prefer it this way....

Re: I was wondering?  [message #32188 is a reply to message #32167] Sun, 21 May 2006 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davethegnome is currently offline  davethegnome

Likes it here

That really is impressive that you where, first of all, in a bar and not smoking. But also that you where with a smoking friend in a bar and not smoking. Kudos man.

It's always the old to lead us to the war
It's always the young to fall
Now look at all we've won with the sabre and the gun
Tell me is it worth it all
~Phil Ochs "I Aint Marching Anymore"
If we're posting photographs...  [message #32189 is a reply to message #32181] Sun, 21 May 2006 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

... this is a photograph of my computer, taken with a proper 35mm SLR a couple of weeks ago, developed, printed and scanned. If it seems wonky, that's because of the *&"£^! university scanner, which liked to rotate the pictures when I wasn't looking.

I'd have scanned the negatives directly, but some idiot had removed the 35mm attachment, presumably to stop people from stealing it. (Or maybe someone had already stolen it. Who knows?)

David

P.S. Isn't real film so much nicer than digital "film"? Does anyone think they could tell that this was not a digital photo?
Placement  [message #32190 is a reply to message #32189] Sun, 21 May 2006 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

P.S. My apologies for the gratuitous product placement. I don't normally play games, but I thought that particular screen looked better than "bog-standard Linux/Windows desktop".
Re: I was wondering?  [message #32191 is a reply to message #32174] Sun, 21 May 2006 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

I think the idea of a course set up with gay men arranged in stratigic positions and places with a point system designed to keep track of your progress would be great fun....

I think it could be a new event at the gay olympics....

What could the game be called I wonder?

Any ideas??

Re: I was wondering?  [message #32192 is a reply to message #32191] Sun, 21 May 2006 23:02 Go to previous message

On fire!

Marc wrote:
>
> What could the game be called I wonder?
>
> Any ideas??

Ummm, perhaps "drag racing" - although I might be a bit butch for that! I seem to have an equestrian image - "point-to-point" ? "steeple-chasing" ?

Previous Topic: Wicked Ingratitude
Next Topic: Elivators (lifts)
Goto Forum: