A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Kinda Funny
Kinda Funny  [message #32256] Wed, 24 May 2006 04:54 Go to next message
brian! is currently offline  brian!

Likes it here

When a relationship starts (romatic or whatnot) you make a decision.
You tell them you just want to be friends, nothing more, and you
find out things.

What do you do? Tell them you don't want to see them again? Tell
them things are "just wrong"? Tell them you don't want things like that
to happen?

There is no right answer. You look like an ass if you say one thing
and they want to hear another.

We were spose to be just friends, and I find out things. He knows I'm
after someone else and things still happen. things while I'm asleep or
to drunk to know whats going on. I don't like it anymore, and not sure
what to do. I like spending time with him, but what am I to do?

Brian

To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.
Or......................  [message #32257 is a reply to message #32256] Wed, 24 May 2006 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

You can have something rather than wish for it ...........

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
I hope this makes sense in context!  [message #32259 is a reply to message #32256] Wed, 24 May 2006 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

I'm not sure what "things" are -- you're rather vague, so I hope I haven't got the end of the stick!

If "things" are an abuse of trust, something that you have specifically asked that person not to do -- especially if they are done behind your back -- then, to be honest, it sounds like you either ought to keep him at a distance, or reject him altogether. At the very least you should talk to your friend about it: if he values the friendship he will agree to set boundaries and compromise. If he won't, then he is not worth having as a friend, regardless of how likeable he is.

David
Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32260 is a reply to message #32256] Wed, 24 May 2006 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davethegnome is currently offline  davethegnome

Likes it here

If things happen when you are asleep or too drunk to know any better then you should talk to him about it. It's better to be upfront and honest then anything else. I can tell you from experience that that is the case in these sorts of situations. I always seem to find myself in similar situations.

Good Luck

It's always the old to lead us to the war
It's always the young to fall
Now look at all we've won with the sabre and the gun
Tell me is it worth it all
~Phil Ochs "I Aint Marching Anymore"
Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32265 is a reply to message #32256] Thu, 25 May 2006 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
electroken is currently offline  electroken

Likes it here

Gee Brian I hope this friend is respecting you. I don't want to assume anything here but it sounds like he may be putting some moves on you when you are sleeping or drunk and that is not good.
I have been the older guy in a relationship where I would assume that if the other guy said nothing, it was tacit approval to do things.
You have to say something to this guy about what bothers you. If he is shallow enough that he leaves after you give him boundaries, then you have lost very little.

Ken
Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32270 is a reply to message #32256] Thu, 25 May 2006 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think you have to set ground rules. This ought to go well, but may not.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32272 is a reply to message #32265] Thu, 25 May 2006 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

Brian you are in charge if things dont feel right then go with your emotions,
because you have flaged up a possible problem means you do not feel happy with the situation,?
Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32273 is a reply to message #32272] Thu, 25 May 2006 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Sometimes one's target is too out of reach to be realistic.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32275 is a reply to message #32270] Thu, 25 May 2006 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Basicly what your friend is doing is rape. To take advantage of someone while drunk or asleep or drugged, without concent is rape. You can look at it anyway you want to and it come back to rape. He is not your friend if he is doing that and the faster you dump him the better. course what do I know. Im sure everybody in here is going to jump on me and tell me im wrong, but its the way I see it and I would be furious if it happened to me. It comes down to what part of NO dosnt he understand

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32276 is a reply to message #32256] Thu, 25 May 2006 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

If the situation is abusive you should extracate yourself from it.

To stay is to accept what he does.

Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32277 is a reply to message #32256] Fri, 26 May 2006 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brian! is currently offline  brian!

Likes it here

It's not something I want to happen. I know he wants more with me,
but I've told him before that it's not going to happen. It's hard to
explain how things keep getting out of hand. When he contacted me
back in September through email he said he just wanted to know there
was others like him in our small town. From there we went to dinner
once a week. About November he started coming out to his family and
friends (all who have been pretty cool about it). December I talked
to one of his friends and found out that he wanted more even though I
told him we would only ever be friends. His friend told me that I need
to make it clear to him again, which I did. Things have been okay till
about a month ago when I found out things were happening while I was
asleep.

It's all so hard, I know he relies on me to get him out and comfortable
with being himself, but he's helped me to be more outgoing (I've done
things I never knew I could do(asked a bartender if the manager was gay
or not)). I really don't know what will happen when I do find someone.
I think he's afraid I won't want to spend any time with him anymore, and
I'm afraid of what will happen to him when I won't spend all the time I am
now with him.

It's really complicated

Brian

To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.
Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32278 is a reply to message #32277] Fri, 26 May 2006 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

At last, a bit of light.......

What you need to do is get him interested in someone other than you.....

Marc's right - but so is Brian (1407a!)  [message #32280 is a reply to message #32278] Fri, 26 May 2006 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cossie is currently offline  cossie

On fire!

Your last post makes the situation much clearer, but despite the benefit you feel that you have derived from the relationship, the fact is that your 'friend' has effectively raped you, and that's no foundation for a continuing friendship.

Marc's suggestion is on the ball - provided that you have access to a larger pool of gays - but, whatever happens, you need to hammer home your rules, and if your 'friend' doesn't accept them, you really must end the friendship.

You might not realise it, but your situation is far from uncommon and the consequences of doing nothing can prove to be very, very nasty.

For a' that an' a' that,
It's comin' yet for a' that,
That man tae man, the worrld o'er
Shall brithers be, for a' that.
Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32281 is a reply to message #32277] Fri, 26 May 2006 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
electroken is currently offline  electroken

Likes it here

Amen to what all the others are telling you Brian. You seem like a nice guy who wants to help this guy, but be wary of what can go wrong with things. You must be comfortable sleeping without worry that he will do something to you in your sleep! It is not right for him to continue ANYTHING without your exact permission which you have made clear to him already is negative.

You must stop thinking of him as a friend if he gives you any idea it will continue above your objections. Listen to the guys here, Brian, as they are giving you some good advice.

Ken
Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32292 is a reply to message #32256] Fri, 26 May 2006 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

I would think a simple solution to this problem is to not sleep or get drunk with this guy.
Re: Kinda Funny  [message #32293 is a reply to message #32292] Fri, 26 May 2006 18:29 Go to previous message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

... but if you can't trust him, what's the point in having him as a friend?

If, indeed, lack of trust does not exclude him from the definition of friend.

David
Previous Topic: Map Cow Disease
Next Topic: Is there a cure for paranoia?
Goto Forum: