A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > $100,000 Prize For Best Video On Tolerance
$100,000 Prize For Best Video On Tolerance  [message #32857] Thu, 15 June 2006 01:57 Go to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

$100,000 Prize For Best Video On Tolerance
by The Associated Press

(Los Angeles, California) Current TV wants to get a message out about tolerance and appreciation of diversity - and it's asking viewers to help.

The channel, in partnership with the nonprofit, New York-based Third Millennium Foundation, said Wednesday it is sponsoring a summer video contest, "Seeds of Tolerance," aimed at promoting understanding and with a $100,000 prize for the top film.

Judges include Paul Haggis, Edward Norton, Melissa Etheridge and Margaret Cho.

"Having personally experienced the sting of being labeled 'different', I appreciate Current TV's effort to teach tolerance - or, more accurately, to encourage their viewers to teach their peers," Etheridge, who is gay, said in a statement released by the channel.

"I commend Current TV for recognizing that it is our differences that make us stronger and for encouraging young people to embrace the spirit of tolerance," Haggis said in a statement.

Current TV, which already makes viewer videos a significant part of its programming, said the contest is open to filmmakers 18 and older and of all levels of experience. Films can be up to 10 minutes long and be accompanied by comments on how a project can inspire change.

Other requirements are posted on the Current Web site http://www.current.tv/tolerance. Films can be submitted to the site and will be accepted through Aug. 15.

The judges will choose five semifinalists, whose work will be shown on Current TV. In September, viewers will choose the grand-prize winner and two finalists who will each receive $10,000.

The top winner will also get $15,000 to give to the charity of his or her choice. The prizes are being funded by the Third Millennium Foundation, founded in 2000 to counter intolerance through childhood education and other programs.

Former Vice President Al Gore is chairman of Current TV, which he co-founded with Joel Hyatt, the chief executive officer.

©365Gay.com 2006

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: $100,000 Prize For Best Video On Tolerance  [message #32869 is a reply to message #32857] Thu, 15 June 2006 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Who needs a video? All they need is some of the ordinary stories on places like this site and others. Not the heavily charged erotica, but the simple ones.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: $100,000 Prize For Best Video On Tolerance  [message #32871 is a reply to message #32869] Thu, 15 June 2006 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Hey, this is something Deeej can do. I know he would do the best one.

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Interesting  [message #32872 is a reply to message #32871] Thu, 15 June 2006 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

I'll do it if they'll lend me the money in advance!

Seriously, $100,000 is a lot of money for a short film prize, and the theme is a creditable one (provided they don't start telling you what subjects you can and can't cover). If there were a reasonable chance of winning -- if I could get a team of British professionals together, work with an experienced director of photography, production manager, maybe even writer -- I would seriously consider it. Problem is, that would cost money -- several thousand pounds, probably. Money I don't have at the moment, and won't have for a while.

Anyone feel like investing? Iomfats.org, the movie? Smile

David
Re: Interesting  [message #32874 is a reply to message #32872] Thu, 15 June 2006 19:57 Go to previous message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

> Anyone feel like investing? Iomfats.org, the movie? Smile
>
No.....

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Previous Topic: If god exists, I doubt he is on anyone's side
Next Topic: pasta and sauce
Goto Forum: