A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Question Of the day
Question Of the day  [message #35235] Tue, 05 September 2006 15:51 Go to next message
ZeroGrav is currently offline  ZeroGrav

Really getting into it

What is your fav tv show and what is your fav movie?

So say what you want
(You know I'm wasting all my time)
You've gotta mean it when you say what you want
(You're only safe when you're alone)
And everybody's on your mind
Saying anything to get you by
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35236 is a reply to message #35235] Tue, 05 September 2006 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

I missed yesterday's question.....

What was it?

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35237 is a reply to message #35236] Tue, 05 September 2006 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Ok Question Of the week than... lol

So say what you want
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35238 is a reply to message #35235] Tue, 05 September 2006 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Navyone is currently offline  Navyone

Likes it here

Favorite TV Show: Deadwood & Sopranos

Favorite Movie: The Gallant Hours is an episodic biography of Admiral
William "Bull" Halsey ...

Josh I think your Poetry is great.

Gary
Navyone
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35239 is a reply to message #35235] Tue, 05 September 2006 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Show is Lost
Movie Would have to be All 3 of the Matrix movies

So say what you want
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35240 is a reply to message #35235] Tue, 05 September 2006 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ProfZodiac is currently offline  ProfZodiac

Likes it here

TV: The West Wing, SportsNight, 24, and M*A*S*H are in a four-way tie.

Movie: What Dreams May Come, The Last Castle, and The Neverending Story (and that one not just because Atreyu's quite easy on the eyes.)
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35241 is a reply to message #35235] Tue, 05 September 2006 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Favorite TV shows.....

Masterpiece Theatre..... PBS Mystery..... Anything historical.....

Beyond that TV basicaly sucks.....

Favorite Movies..... Anything in the film noire genre.... Most film produced before 1968.....

Nothing of note has realy been made since.....

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Before 1968  [message #35242 is a reply to message #35241] Tue, 05 September 2006 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

Marc said,
>Favorite Movies..... Anything in the film noire genre.... Most film produced before 1968.....
>Nothing of note has realy been made since.....

Not much of note was made before 1968, either. It's just that the bad films (just as high a percentage as today, if not higher) have faded into obscurity, and the good films have been re-released and hence are well-remembered.

Cinematography and sound are now better than they've ever been -- it's a shame that decent storytelling has become sidelined in the age of the blockbuster.

David
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35243 is a reply to message #35235] Tue, 05 September 2006 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian1407a is currently offline  Brian1407a

On fire!

Favorite show "Dr. Who" any episode, favorite movie "second hand lions"

I believe in Karma....what you give is what you get returned........

Affirmation........Savage Garden
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35244 is a reply to message #35235] Tue, 05 September 2006 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I'm not much of a one for TV, apart from the occasional documentary. For TV series that I know from DVD, it would have to be the classic Anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112159/

For movies, the ones that I watch time and again, the ones that are the film equivalent of comfort foods (and Adam has already mentioned Never Ending Story, which would probably be on the list) -

Point Break - with a young and gorgeous Keanu Reeves ('nuff said) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102685/
Akira - the best Japanese animation ever http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094625/
Stand by Me - the best buddy movie ever http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092005/
Monster Squad - just because of the immortal line "Monster ate my twinkie!" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093560/

But, ultimately, it would have to be

Cry Baby - Rock 'n Roll music and Johnny Depp - what could be more perfect! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099329/

I've included IMDB links, which link to trailers etc for those with fast internet connections to check out movies they may not know.

These aren't, any of them, "great" movies (with the possible exception of "Stand By Me"). But, for me, favourite implies a comfort movie rather than a challenging one!

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
sdkfjskldjfsdf  [message #35245 is a reply to message #35235] Tue, 05 September 2006 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Can't name any particular movie over the rest, but for sheer scale and consistency I'd have to recommend Stanley Kubrick. Other good directors (in no particular order): Alfred Hitchcock; Frank Capra; Carol Reed; Roman Polanski; Billy Wilder; Danny Boyle; Nick Park; Brad Bird; oh dear, and several dozen others, come to think of it.

Television's not nearly as fertile ground. Fawlty Towers for consistency; followed by other British sitcoms (Blackadder, The Office). Current programmes: Lost, House.

David
Re: sdkfjskldjfsdf  [message #35246 is a reply to message #35245] Tue, 05 September 2006 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Well, if we're talking directors, Larry Clark gets my vote. "Kids", "Ken Park", and most of all "Bully". Awe-inspiring, gut-wrenching, nauseatingly truthful movies - shame that many of his movies are too explicit to have got a certificate for cinema release in most parts of the world: I'd love to see some of them on the big screen.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Stand By Me  [message #35247 is a reply to message #35244] Tue, 05 September 2006 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

I don't think "Stand By Me" is technically a great movie. I am not sure whether people would rank at all, let alone highly, if it were not for the tragic ending, or the way it wallows unashamedly in nostalgia. No subtlety, ambiguity, or anything that is designed to make you think too hard. That said, it has River Phoenix in it, which makes up for all that. Smile

It's a bit like 'The Shawshank Redemption' in that respect. I never fail to be amazed at how highly it rates on the IMDB. People vote for that because of its happy (and distinctly unlikely) ending, not because it's actually a great character-driven story.

David
Re: Stand By Me  [message #35248 is a reply to message #35247] Tue, 05 September 2006 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Deeej wrote:
> I don't think "Stand By Me" is technically a great movie. I am not sure whether people would rank at all, let alone highly, if it were not for the tragic ending, or the way it wallows unashamedly in nostalgia. No subtlety, ambiguity, or anything that is designed to make you think too hard. That said, it has River Phoenix in it, which makes up for all that. Smile
>
I agree with that 100%. Especially about River Phoenix! A shame that such a great actor never made a truly great movie: I believe that he was the original choice for "Basketball Diaries", in the part eventually played by Leonardo DiCaprio - now that *would* have been a great movie.

Re: Question Of the day  [message #35249 is a reply to message #35243] Tue, 05 September 2006 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I like those too

So say what you want
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35250 is a reply to message #35244] Tue, 05 September 2006 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Evangelion I loved that show. still trying to ig the ending tho

So say what you want
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35251 is a reply to message #35243] Tue, 05 September 2006 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Hi Brian,

New Doctor Who, or old Doctor Who?

David
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35255 is a reply to message #35251] Wed, 06 September 2006 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I like the old and the new. The new Dr. now is I believe the youngest yet and he is so way cute.

Re: Question Of the day  [message #35256 is a reply to message #35255] Wed, 06 September 2006 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

One thing, the old ones left a lot to your imagination and that made it way fun, they also hired goods actors. The new ones tho, they spent some money on special affects, and still managed to keep good actors.

Re: Stand By Me  [message #35257 is a reply to message #35248] Wed, 06 September 2006 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Stand by me was a good story played by some decent actors, especially Will wheaton and River Phoenix.

Re: Question Of the day  [message #35259 is a reply to message #35250] Wed, 06 September 2006 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Evangelion is a good anime, but I would have to go with Gundam Wing.

Eccleston and Tennant are good  [message #35261 is a reply to message #35256] Wed, 06 September 2006 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

I particularly liked Christopher Eccleston, as I think he's the more charismatic of the pair. I agree, though -- David Tennant is younger and better-looking.

Have you seen (has anyone seen) 'The Second Coming' (ITV, 2003)? I very much liked Christopher Eccleston in that. That said, I have not seen anything of Russell T. Davies's that I haven't liked, so far.

The modern Doctor Who is given a little too much to special effects. The best episodes are the ones in which the monsters are unseen.

David
Re: Question Of the day  [message #35262 is a reply to message #35259] Wed, 06 September 2006 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I'm a bit ashamed to say that I've never really seen Gundam Wing. Every time I'm in Forbidden Planet I think about starting to pick up the DVD's, but inevitably get seduced by something else (last time it was series 1 of "Naruto", plus "Blood - the last Vampire" (which I haven't yet got round to watching).

I hate that shop - I never escape from the basement where the DVD's are without spending at least £50 ! But somehow I seem to visit it every time I go for a haircut (it's on the way to my barbers), or go for a coffee at the "First Out" gay coffeshop, or, actually, pretty much any time I'm in central London!

Re: Question Of the day  [message #35264 is a reply to message #35262] Wed, 06 September 2006 01:59 Go to previous message

On fire!

I think you would like Gundam Wing. There is a gay undercurrent to the story. Especially a bonding between Quetra and Trowa.

Previous Topic: My Mistake, another song I wrote, by ~Josh~
Next Topic: Topic for discussion
Goto Forum: